www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 97944 times)

Offline rundown

Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #130 on: Nov 16, 2013, 22:12:36 »
Extaordinary build, Harly in a Norton, pretty much off the chart cool.  I hope you don't take the attitudes of some of the posters to heart, just raised by wolves. 

Offline café (r)acer

« Reply #131 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:13:31 »
Thanks for sharing this build!
I've learned alot so far  :)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #132 on: Nov 19, 2013, 12:28:37 »
The exhaust is finally done, still need to decide whether to polish the downpipes, but that can wait. Next job will be to make the real rear set mounts and exhaust hangers, in place of the temporary ones I've used so far. Also been thinking about where the battery is going to live. Ideally it should go under the seat hump, but there isn't a lot of room under there, so the back up plan was to mount it under the swing arm, behind the gearbox, as I'd seen a few Sportsters with the battery in that location, so should be enough room. My drop seat Harley has its battery under the swing arm (actually it sits in the swing arm), which has always been a PITA, as to access it, I need to remove the rear wheel, not ideal

I'd always intended to use a Lithium Iron battery, and for the Ironhead, I'd need the equivalent of a 20AH Yuasa lead acid battery. I could get a Shorai at a good price, but looking at it specs, it didn't look that much smaller than the Yuasa, though it is much lighter. With one of my exhaust downpipes running under the engine, I wasn't sure if there was enough room behind the gearbox to fit the Shorai, let alone a Yuasa.

I made cardboard copies of the three options, Yuasa, Shorai and Ballistic. Sure enough the Yuasa wouldn't fit, while the Shorai only just squeezed under the swing arm, a bit too close to the exhaust and rear tyre for comfort.  The Ballistic was so much smaller it would even fit under the seat, if it was recessed a little into the tray I'd made earlier. So that's what I'll do. The Ballistic isn't cheap, twice the price of a Yuasa, and I've read mixed reviews of Lithium batteries on bikes, but going to give it a try..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #133 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:04:34 »
Got myself a new hand drill, so the exhaust springs are on now. Ordered a Ballistic Lithium battery, and dropped the stainless seat under tray off at Geoff the welders, where he'll add a 25mm deep pocket for the battery. Fingers crossed that'll allow enough room for the battery to live under the seat hump. Also ordered a universal throttle cable kit from Venhill,  to connect the Tomaselli throttle with the S&S Super E carb. The other Jeff is making the new rear set mounts from my design, it'll mean the original 'V' shaped mounts will be replaced completely, which will look better than the original plan. 

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #134 on: Nov 22, 2013, 13:47:22 »
While looking at Maxton's site (suspension gurus near me), I found this great little video.. the bike head for a little resort on the  coast, same place place as my frame was made..enjoy.. :)

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #135 on: Nov 22, 2013, 13:55:13 »
Is that the trident that was featured in classic bike magazine a while back with that insane upswept exhaust?
Have such a terrible connection to the web,so i can`t load that vid!

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #136 on: Nov 22, 2013, 15:36:33 »
Is that the trident that was featured in classic bike magazine a while back with that insane upswept exhaust?
Have such a terrible connection to the web,so i can`t load that vid!

Didn't see the magazine bike, but the one in the vid does have a 3-1 steeply upswept exhaust, similar to the other two bikes.

Offline Floegstad

« Reply #137 on: Nov 22, 2013, 17:14:58 »
Yes it was,beautyful one that is.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #138 on: Nov 22, 2013, 18:18:15 »
Found out the bikes in the film were built by a workshop who also worked on my Ironhead before I got it (raked the frame, made the yokes and extended the forks).. small world. More info here...  http://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk/21stchtml.html

Offline Floegstad

« Reply #139 on: Nov 22, 2013, 18:54:02 »
Remember from the article that the bluish/green trident produced 82 whp.
Thats nice performance of a 69/70 trident!