www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 97841 times)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #140 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:19:28 »
I got the seat under tray back, with its battery recess welded in place. Now all it needs is a Ballistic battery..

Also made a start on the new rear set mounts. I used a scrap piece of 10mm alloy and drilled the peg and frame mounting holes first. Then took it home to check it fits the frame ok, so now the rear master cylinder can be mounted, and the bracket shaped. The other side is easier to do, except it'll need a new shorter shift rod making. The socket head bolts will be counter sunk a few mm and their heads machined so they are almost flush with the plate.

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #141 on: Nov 25, 2013, 12:21:50 »
Lppks stunning MR!

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #142 on: Nov 28, 2013, 21:13:16 »
Today with the arrival of my new Ballistic battery, my bike has lost another 11lbs, compared to the equivalent Yuasa YTX20BS (13.9lbs Vs 2.7lbs) or 1.2kg. I'm edging closer to the target of losing 100lbs compared to a standard XL1000. The new battery fits easily in the recess made for it, with spare room enough for some foam to cushion the vibes.

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #143 on: Nov 28, 2013, 21:24:33 »
nice 8)

Offline durp

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • One-Offs
« Reply #144 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:02:54 »
Yes! I have the same battery for my goldwing bobber and my ironhead project. I swear by these things.
GL1000  GB500  K75

www.oneoffs.bike

\_(ツ)_/

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #145 on: Dec 01, 2013, 19:30:43 »
Yes! I have the same battery for my goldwing bobber and my ironhead project. I swear by these things.

Good to know, the only problem I've read about is that they don't like to be overcharged or drained completely (it kills them). May have to fit a little voltmeter, just to be on the safe side, my 888 has one and its comforting to be able to keep an eye on the Italian electrics.

Made a start on the cutting out the plates for the rear sets, and been trying to find a suitable pair of master cylinders (clutch and front brake), I'd like Brembos, but they are twice the price of Japanese Nissins on ebay. Nineties GSXR look to be a possible source, as they have angled master cylinders to suite clip ons.. Still looking.

Also I had to order a piece of alloy to make an air filter / Velocity stack, as I couldn't find anything suitable to liberate from Jeff's hoard. The S&S Velocity stack on the carb now is too long and has no filtration at all, I had it left over from an old project, so fitted it just to see how it looked. 

Offline unclerob

« Reply #146 on: Dec 01, 2013, 20:30:06 »
Just seen your thread....looking good! Interested because I once rode a friends Domi fitted with a WLA motor...it wasn't fast! Have you thought of using master cylinders from the early 80's Honda Shadow, can't quite recall exactly what they look like but I do remember that they are angled just right for clip ons!

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #147 on: Dec 05, 2013, 17:10:37 »
Good to know, the only problem I've read about is that they don't like to be overcharged or drained completely (it kills them).

Yes, it does. I had one on my Thruxton and didn't realize my regulator was going bad. Drained it dead a couple of times and it stopped recharging. That was a costly mistake.

Offline ProSimex

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • RUN SCREAMING!!!
« Reply #148 on: Dec 05, 2013, 17:38:30 »
Better check what kind of output your genny is throwing out with that then.  May be a simple fix of a different reg, or you may want to get a new low output genny from cycle electric.  The 6v on my 59xlh seems ok with its small battery, but my buddies '70xlh just eats smaller batteries with the 12v.. He's looking to upgrade (downgrade?) to a low output system for his. 

Common problem with genny HD's running non stock batteries.
"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."

"That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."- Kopcicle

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #149 on: Dec 05, 2013, 18:40:59 »
Good info on the Lithium battery, the one I have is 12 cell, 20ah, so not that small really. Also I've fitted a modern aftermarket rectifier/regulator which replaces the geny end cover, but even so I'm now leaning toward fitting a voltmeter too.

Finally found a suitable pair of clutch / front brake master cylinders at a good price, not Goldline Brembos, as they were way over priced on Ebay. Went for a set from a Honda VTR SP2 instead, which fit the look I was going for.