www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 97725 times)

Offline Mike Lawless

• 2006 HD Softail Deluxe - 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #220 on: Jan 13, 2014, 14:30:23 »
Thanks.  I saw that too. No frames listed for sale, complete bike only it seems.
The Older I Get…
The More Everyone can Just Kiss My A$$
www.lawlessdesigns.com

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #221 on: Jan 13, 2014, 14:32:37 »
Thanks.  I saw that too. No frames listed for sale, complete bike only it seems.
That is Santiago Choppers of CafeRacer TV fame. I believe they get their frames from the Norley factory in the UK.

Offline Mike Lawless

• 2006 HD Softail Deluxe - 2014 Triumph Bonneville
« Reply #222 on: Jan 13, 2014, 15:47:49 »
I see. I haven't watched much of the Cafe Racer show. Thanks for the info
The Older I Get…
The More Everyone can Just Kiss My A$$
www.lawlessdesigns.com

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #223 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:43:41 »
Ref Nickel Plating, last time I checked it cost around 3 times the price powder coating. Also its very thin, Nickel plating (and chrome plating) will show up every flaw and poor weld on a frame.

It seems I've maxed out photobucket's 10gb monthly limit on here, not too worry, the pics will show again on the 19th when the monthly allowance resets.

Finally wheeled the bike out from where I built it, as I'll need more elbow room when it comes to taking it apart. Here it is next to my 93 888 SP4 rep..  The footpegs are missing as need them to make the exhaust brackets. The tank strap has been cut to size and its hook riveted, works ok, but breaks up the lines of the tank to me. Maybe something to change later, in the meantime still lots to do to get it on the road by my self imposed deadline of April.

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #224 on: Jan 14, 2014, 15:12:05 »
I love the looks of both of your bikes mister!! :) :)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #225 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:25:30 »
Made a start machining the new velocity stack, just drilled it to match the size of the S&S carb so far..

With the Ironhead now in my garage, makes it easier to work on. Got the sprockets lined up, they weren't as misaligned as I first thought, so only needed a small spacer behind the front sprocket.

Finally one of the last jobs to do before the bike is taken apart for powder coating is to make the exhaust brackets. These are a bit trickier than usual as they need to be mounted to the frame via two bolts, not just one. This is because they sit almost parallel to the ground, at an acute angle to the silencers so they need to be sturdy. They are made from 10mm alloy plate, they'll sit behind the footpeg mounts (not in front as in the photo), and once drilled and shaped they'll need to be heated and bent to take up the 20mm offset to the silencers..

Offline freedomgli

Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #226 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:11:56 »
Awesome Norley! I just read through your entire build thread and it's absolutely fantastic!

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #227 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:58:06 »
Couldn't do much this week, waiting on some help to lift the engine out of the frame, so I decided to weigh the bike before it comes apart. I used a couple of bathroom scales under each wheel, then swapped them around to check if there was any difference in readings.. there wasn't.

The bike was weighed without oil or fuel...  Front weight = 185lbs, rear = 202lbs   total 387lbs

4 litres of oil weighs 3.7kg or 8lbs (I checked), while half a tank of fuel will be around 20lbs...  gives 415lbs ready to ride. I was aiming for 420lbs, so happy with that.

Offline Cuba Libre

« Reply #228 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:52:52 »
There's a reason these are called featherbeds... ;D

M.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #229 on: Jan 27, 2014, 13:48:29 »
There's a reason these are called featherbeds... ;D

M.

The name came about when ...Harold Daniell was a successful Isle of Man TT racer with three victories and several placings in the Tourist Trophy races and the Manx Grand Prix. After testing the new Norton frame in 1950 he declared that it was like "riding on a featherbed" compared with riding the "garden gate'' Norton — and it has been called the featherbed frame ever since.

Here's a photo of the LHS.. exhaust mounts all done now..