1980 Suzuki GS850 Cafe Racer Project

andrewmac805

Hello Do The Ton!

I've been working on my Suzuki for a while now. Got a running bike and just getting re motivated and getting into the cafe racer part of the project!

I bought the bike off a guy who got it as a donor bike when he bought his. It didn't look too good, but seemed like it had most of what was needed to run!

This is how she was advertised and how I got her:

Attachments

• 3nc3k83mb5V05S65R3b4j35a229bcc19a1e4f.jpg
    3nc3k83mb5V05S65R3b4j35a229bcc19a1e4f.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 13,207
  • gs850 bought1.jpg
    gs850 bought1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 13,511
  • gs850 bought2.jpg
    gs850 bought2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14,907
So far I have:

Replaced the battery
Installed a headlight bucket and ears
Installed and and bled a new front brake system
Cleaned the rusted gas tank with the VINEGAR method! Worked a treat for me! Copied this guy mainly http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removi...s_tank#Vinegar
Installed new intake o-rings and allen screw set
Replaced the spark plugs
New airbox boots
Cleaned and re oiled the K&N drop in air filter and weather stripped the airbox
Tried to rebuild the carbs but the rail screws we in sooooo tight I couldn't get them out! Not even heating them and spraying PB blaster could free them!
So I cleaned them with the pinesol method and anything that I could fit in the ultrasonic cleaner and the carb dip! Replaced all the o-rings I could get too.
Got a nice tail light lens.
Installed a new petcock
Valve shim adjustment
New valve cover gasket (after the one I made leaked, save yourself the headache and just buy one)
Sync'd the carbs
Got a headlight with a free skull and crossbones sticker on it
New Stator since the charging system wasn't working (common problem for GS models)
Cleaned and bled the brakes
new tach cable
new clutch cable

And she was running pretty well. Had a few little tune ups to get to but good enough to ride! And here was the ugly duckling!

Attachments

• user25339_pic9392_1322356155.jpg
    user25339_pic9392_1322356155.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 13,141
Now to make her into a beautiful swan!

My budget was very low when I first started the project 2 years ago, and it was my first project so I didn't want to get too adventurous. Didn't want to fabricate very much or buy a lot of aftermarket parts.

So here was my idea, the seat cowl kinda looked cafe-ish (if you squint and use your imagination) so all I had to do was chop the seat in half and make a smaller seat! I thought it actually looked pretty good too!

Attachments

• Suzuki GS850-1979.jpg
    Suzuki GS850-1979.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21,936
  • Suzuki GS850-1979 2.jpg
    Suzuki GS850-1979 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7,330
So off I went to create my vision... very slowly! Over a year and a half went buy and she sat all taken apart waiting for her customisations.

I tried to prep and paint. Very very very tedious with wire wool! And very sore on your fingers!

All prettily masked up for paint!

I used Duplicolor Engine enamel gloss black. Turned out not too bad!

And she sat with her wheels off for a year and a half as life took over and bikes took a back seat

I not really trying to be a buzz kill... or an asshole... But, you are going to find that the engine enamel is going to chip and flake crazy... it's quite fragile until cured under heat which isn't going to happen on your rim.

You may serve yourself well by hitting it with an aerosol paint stripper and repainting with an appliance epoxy. That engine enamel is going to look like shit after a couple of rides if it even survives reassembly.

Now here I am at the present day, I get my second wind as my friend at work just bought a Honda CB350F!

I decide to put the wheels back on so I can at least move it out the garage. I bought a new toy, so I wire wheeled off the faded dull paint on the rotors, was going to pain them, but looks pretty good to me!

Got the wheels and brakes back on then swapped the bars out for some super sports (I just put the old seat cover over the rusty seat pan so you can't see it haha)

I didn't really like the look, the super sports were originally for my Honda CB750F anyway. So I swapped them for the classic clubmans! Was worried that clubmans would be too uncomfortable. But sitting so low with no seat it isn't as uncomfortable as I imagined. I'm sure after a few hours like that it would be tho! However, form over function!

Think it looks much better! Then I went wire wheel mad! With a brass wheel I polished up the forks!

I started to fix the rear end. Tidy it up more and then took it for a spin! Got it stated after sitting for a year and a half, with a little encouragement from some ether! Changed the oil, adjusted the idle, and the clutch (was far too tight! Would slip if I went over 4000rpm). Once the oil lubed the clutch up again I slacked it wayyy off and it's a lot better now. Still sluggish compared to the CB750F. I cut off the rear bars of the frame and trimmed down the plastic mudguard. I re mounted the whole rear section of mudguard to the holes already drilled slightly further forward on the frame. Think it turned out very nice!

3DogNate said:
I not really trying to be a buzz kill... or an asshole... But, you are going to find that the engine enamel is going to chip and flake crazy... it's quite fragile until cured under heat which isn't going to happen on your rim.

You may serve yourself well by hitting it with an aerosol paint stripper and repainting with an appliance epoxy. That engine enamel is going to look like shit after a couple of rides if it even survives reassembly.

I did notice that the paint was kinda fragile as I put it back on the bike. I hit it with a wrench and chipped it. Maybe I can get my heat gun out and fake sure it and see if that works!? I don't really want to start all over again haha!

I put a 6" buffing wheel on my 4 1/2" grinder and went to town on my covers!

Used to white cutting/polishing compound, then the rouge, then some metal polish stuff and then a resin protector polish. Turned out pretty nice and I didn't have to take all the covers off haha!

Nice enough for me, but far from perfect. A hell of a lot better than what it was tho!

LOVE IT! I don't like bikes that are too polished and clean, the ageing and pitting is part of the character of the machine, embrace it! Clubmans look great in black, really suits the look you are going for.
Seat looks a little uncomfortable, but it is a popular mod the the GS and looks good. You've gone the right route, get the machine running and stopping right then make it look how you want it to look.
Seems more and more people are getting into the GS, it's a good, reliable bike and handles well, even when you lower the forks 3.5cm like I have!
You say your clutch was heavy. I couldn't pull mine at all! Found out it had EBC heavy duty springs, took 3 springs out, works a treat and doesn't slip!
Looking good, keep up the good work!

I too have a mini speedo and tach on my bike. You can see in this grainy photo about how it's mounted now, the gas gauge is gone however.
1um4.jpg

I'd like to mount them up in a bracket like this with the warning lights in the middle. I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate the gas gauge capability on my GS.
v506.jpg

That polish came out amazing! I'll have to do the same thing on mine, it's looking pretty crumby as it is now. Have you isolated your electrical gremlins yet?

Yeah I really like having a fuel gauge too! I was sad to remove it. I guess I'll just have to learn the sloshing of the tank to check the level!

I bought the speedo with warning lights on it, I really like them!

Put the gauges on, sorted the gremlin (which was a super obvious gremlin... a fuse), and now I'm running on 2 cylinders!!! FML! I pulled the tank off to put an inline fuel filter on and as I pulled it a bunch of crap fell out in the fuel line I think and blocked my carbs! I freaking hope! So have them off now and about to do a basic tear down and cleaning.

I checked for spark first obviously and all the cylinders have spark. So must be a fuel delivery problem! O the joys of carbs!

jorge0136 here are my new mini gauges. They have some of the warning lights, guess you could just buy that speedo gauge and swap your one out with it, and that would solve some of your problems!

Pulled the carbs to give them a quick clean.

Weren't too dirty, but one bowl bypass thing was blocked. Tried to spray it out with carb cleaner. Didn't work. Left carb cleaner in it for a few hours and tried to spray it out with 125psi of compressed air, still couldn't clean it out. Spent ages trying to poke it out with a stripped back wire tie. Still nothing. Put the bowl in carb dip for 20 mins and again with the poking and air pressure! Nothing still!!!!!

Finally dusted off the ultrasonic cleaner and poured hot water and simple green in it and cooked it for 15mins. Finally blew it out with the carb cleaner!

Put the carbs back on, still didn't run on cylinders 2 and 3!!!!!! Checked for spark again, no spark!!! WTF!
Pulled the coil and poked my voltmeter in the coil for 2 &3 and bumped the starter! Got a nice little shock! Guess there is a bad connection somewhere. Put it all back together, fired her up, on ALL cylinders, and gave her a bath

And then took her for a spin

She ran freaking awesome! The best she ever has! She feels like a real bike now!

Still need a seat tho!

Re: Re: 1980 Suzuki GS850 Cafe Racer Project

andrewmac805 said:
Pulled the carbs to give them a quick clean.

Weren't too dirty, but one bowl bypass thing was blocked. Tried to spray it out with carb cleaner. Didn't work. Left carb cleaner in it for a few hours and tried to spray it out with 125psi of compressed air, still couldn't clean it out. Spent ages trying to poke it out with a stripped back wire tie. Still nothing. Put the bowl in carb dip for 20 mins and again with the poking and air pressure! Nothing still!!!!!

Finally dusted off the ultrasonic cleaner and poured hot water and simple green in it and cooked it for 15mins. Finally blew it out with the carb cleaner!

Put the carbs back on, still didn't run on cylinders 2 and 3!!!!!! Checked for spark again, no spark!!! WTF!
Pulled the coil and poked my voltmeter in the coil for 2 &3 and bumped the starter! Got a nice little shock! Guess there is a bad connection somewhere. Put it all back together, fired her up, on ALL cylinders, and gave her a bath

And then took her for a spin

She ran freaking awesome! The best she ever has! She feels like a real bike now!

Still need a seat tho!

Nice pic man. Finish that seat it's ready for the meets.

Finally got my seat made up. My neighbor welded it together for me. Think he did a great job!

Then I sprayed it with some Rustoleum gloss protective enamel and took it to the local upholstery shop. Fingers crossed he'll do a good job.

I told the guy I wanted the seat to look like this one:

Attachments

• bmw-r100rt-1.jpg
    bmw-r100rt-1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 6,756
andrewmac805 said:
jorge0136 here are my new mini gauges. They have some of the warning lights, guess you could just buy that speedo gauge and swap your one out with it, and that would solve some of your problems!

What gauges are these please?

Nice work man, I've always said that the seat is extremely import for the finish look :eek: If you get the seat looking like the beamer, then I think you win ;D

Back
Top Bottom