1982 CB900F STARTING PROBLEM

baginz

I AM FROM ONT CANADA.THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE IS GETTING COLD AND WINTER IS NEAR.I JUST PURCHASED AN 82 CB900F.THE BIKE IS IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION.I HEARD IT RUN,STARTED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND DROVE IT IN TO MY GARAGE THREE DAYS AGO.THE PREVIOUS OWNER TOOK METICULOUS CARE OF IT.THE CARBS WERE REMOVE4D,CLEANED,RE-JETTED AND THE BIKE SEEMED TO START & RUN FINE.I WAS TOLD THAT THIS BIKE IS CONSIDERED COLD BLOODED.I AM NOW FINDING OUT WHAT THAT MEANS.I WANTED TYO GET IT READY FOR WINTER HIBERNATION IN MY GARAGE.I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE PRIOR OWNER HAD ALREADY PUT FUEL STABILIZER IN A 2/3 FULL TANK.I FILLED THE TANK AND ADDED A FEW ADDITIONAL OZ OF HONDA STABILIZER.I TRIED TO START IT BY PULLING CHOKE ALL THE WAY OUT,GAS ON,KILL SWITCH IN RUN,KEY ON,PRESS START.I DID THIS SEVERAL TIMES,THE ENGINE TURNS OVER BUT WON'T FIRE.THE BIKE HAS AN ACCELERATOR PUMP BUT I'M NOT THAT SURE HOW/WHY THIS FUNCTIONS.THINKING THAT I MIGHT HAVE FLOODED IT,AS I TRIED TWISTING THE THROTTLE SEVERAL TIMES TOO,I TRIED CLEARING GAS BY HOLDING THROTTLE WIDE OPEN,KILL SWITCH OFF,CHOKE OFF,HIT START FOR FIVE SECONDS.NO LUCK.I ALSO TRIED APPLLYING HEAT TO ENGINE WITH AN EXTERNAL HEATER,(IT IS ABOUT 20 DEGREES OUTSIDE).I DON'T SMELL GAS AND STILL CAN'T GET BIKE TO FIRE.I WOULD LIKE TO RUN STABILIZER THROUGH CARBS FOR 15 MINUTES,THEN SHUT DOWN AND DRAIN FUEL FROM BOWLS FOR THE WINTER.
IF ANYONE COULD HELP,I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFULL..............-: THANK YOU

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 535
WE'RE HAVING A HARD TIME RESPONDING BECAUSE YOU'RE YELLING AT US -- TAKE YOUR KEYBOARD OFF OF CAPS LOCK AND I'M GUESSING SOMEONE WILL BE WITH YOU SHORTLY.

After trying to start the bike for a few minutes, pull the plugs and see if they're wet. If not, you have a fueling problem.

Yeah probably something simple.. my 900c plugs coke up very easily if only started for short bursts.Suggest cleaning plugs and squirt a few drops of petrol in the outer plug holes.refit plugs and try it.if it fires it should pull the fuel in on all cylinders..

irishbones said:
Yeah probably something simple.. my 900c plugs coke up very easily if only started for short bursts.Suggest cleaning plugs and squirt a few drops of petrol in the outer plug holes.refit plugs and try it.if it fires it should pull the fuel in on all cylinders..
MAKES SENSE
...............THANKS

carnivorous chicken said:
WE'RE HAVING A HARD TIME RESPONDING BECAUSE YOU'RE YELLING AT US -- TAKE YOUR KEYBOARD OFF OF CAPS LOCK AND I'M GUESSING SOMEONE WILL BE WITH YOU SHORTLY.
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

check for spark while cranking if no spark

check the pulsers for output then check for voltage drop at the coils

i run my coils direct to the battery thru a relay so i dont have any voltage drop thru the key and 30 year old wiring

harness makes a huge difference

there is some awesome dohc help here

http://www.cb750c.com/

irishbones said:
Thank you...........it turns out it was the plugs.

Back
Top Bottom