www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: '83 GPz750 Resto-Mod (pic heavy)  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Streetfighterkz

'83 GPz750 Resto-Mod (pic heavy)
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 13:26:55 »
Hey all,

I been lurking for a while but I'm more into building streetfighters but thought I may post my newest project here.

I've been working in the garage off and on for about 3 weeks now.  I'll cram all the pics in the first thread to bring everyone up to speed.

It's a '83 Gpz750 that I picked up cheap from a kid who needed money for a car.  The bike didn't run, had a title issue, and was sitting outside in the rain when I picked it up. 

When I picked up the bike I did a quick once over for what it needed.  First thing was a front tire as it was dry-rotted and leaking, The next obvious items that needed replaced was the sprocket and chain.  The rear sprocket was missing almost half of its teeth.  :blink:

So I did what any normal person would do, I started browsing Craig's List and found this for a price I couldn't pass up.

After a few hours in the garage, I removed the stock swingarm and linkage.  A little grinding and massaging to the VFR arm, I ended up with this.

Next up I made a jig to properly locate the suspension pick-up points from the VFR frame.

Then I started de-tabbing the frame of its original shock mounts and center stand brackets.

I made swingarm spacers and spent most of the time double, triple, and quadruple checking the fitment.  I was able to get the chain lined up and get the swingarm snug between the frame rails.  I just hope when I cinch down the pivot bolt it doesn't bind everything up.

I found a new, unused 5/8" offset sprocket which lined up the chain perfectly.

It seems counterproductive to then make and add back tabs to the lower crossmember, but the original lower suspension and center-stand mounts were in the wrong locations.

Then I tack welded the lower tabs on using my handy dandy jig I made.

I moved on to making an adjustable linkage setup.  As far as I know, this has never been done before so I bought a set of used lowering links from a Hayabusa as they were about the shortest I could find and went from there.

I made a couple bungs for the upper shock bolt.  Tubes will then be welded to the bungs and then to the original shock cross-member and another spot to be determined.

Some chromoly tubing and some notching and here is where I'm at so far.

And a nice parting shot...

Thanks for looking.

Later, Doug

'78 Kz1000
'76 Kz900 'Stripfighter (work in progress)
'83 Gpz750 (work in progress)
'89 V-Max
'89 Gsxr750 Trackfighter

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
Re: '83 GPz750 Resto-Mod (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 19:39:51 »
Nice progress mr!
Tou had a title for that bike in your hand when you started i assume,so you dont do to much labour without getting it back?
i`m in anyways :)

Offline Streetfighterkz

'83 GPz750 Resto-Mod (pic heavy)
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 20:30:47 »
Yeah. The title had a glitch but I got it cleared up and it's in my name. I made sure of that before spending a penny on it.

Later, Doug
'78 Kz1000
'89 V-Max
'89 Gsxr750 Trackfighter

Offline ctluba

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2013, 10:51:14 »
Nice work. 8)

I almost shit myself when I saw the pic of that rear sprocket!!!!! I think you can get a few more seasons out of that thing!!! :o

Those GPZs can be cool when fightered properly. I have seen a few badass examples. I think the body work and the front end take some vision to pull off a good look. They are definately dorky looking in the stock configuration. I look forward to seeing what you do.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013, 10:54:52 by ctluba »

Offline RedBullEnema

• Live slow, Die whenever.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2013, 21:35:16 »
Sweeeeeet  :D The single sided swinger looks wicked! The custom spacers and all...well, I just cant help but be jealous, wish I had that kind of fab ability.

What's your plan for the shock mount? Have a nice triangulated design in mind?

Offline Streetfighterkz

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2013, 22:02:40 »
What's your plan for the shock mount? Have a nice triangulated design in mind?

I will have a lower right tube and then an upper left and right tube.  I plan on having one more smaller tube between the upper two near the shock just to keep everything square and from shifting left to right.

Progress has been kinda slow since my garage is unheated and with the holiday coming up too.  I plan to be back on the project next week.  I got some parts in last week and I'm wanting to see how the play with the bike.

Later, Doug
'78 Kz1000
'89 V-Max
'89 Gsxr750 Trackfighter

Offline RedBullEnema

• Live slow, Die whenever.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2013, 15:35:38 »
Sounds good! I hear ya on the unheated garage, it's the main reason I havent touched my bike in weeks now. Instead of spending holiday cash on the bike, Im opting to spend it on garage door insulation and a heater  ::)

Offline thebronze

• Custom Fighters .com
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2013, 14:35:12 »
Nice work.....   :)

Offline skyler

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2013, 22:41:18 »
Great work.  I wish I had 1/100th the talent!

Offline Streetfighterkz

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2013, 13:37:40 »
Great work.  I wish I had 1/100th the talent!

Thanks.  I've only had a 10-week course in the basic use of a manual lathe and vertical mill, otherwise my skills are self-taught through trial and error.  Trust me when I say not every little task or project goes according to plan.  The key is to learn and adapt from your mistakes and overcome the challenges.

Later, Doug
'78 Kz1000
'89 V-Max
'89 Gsxr750 Trackfighter