Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1974 BMW R60/6  (Read 2748 times)

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
Re: 1974 BMW R60/6
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:07:00 »
Keep it going!  Can't wait to see it come together.

Not sure what you're doing with the 'dummy' lights, but it seems to me the charging light on the airhead is actually a critical component to the charging system itself.  I really should know that part better given I have an R75/6 :)

Thanks, yep you're dead right. The charge light will be wired as a separate idiot light on it's own. That will complete the circuit and it can behave as normal. How's the R75 going?? Got a build thread anywhere I can drool over? ;)

As an update the clutch has been replaced, new rear seal fitted at the same time and heli-coil inserted in the stripped sump bolt, hopefully a few tweaks to the carbs and I'll be able to get riding over the weekend :D

ETA on the seat is still a week or two away so once that's on I'll have a look at chopping the fender and repainting the tank.

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:26:42 »
Interestingly my charge light isn't working, yet I'm still getting 13v worth of charge...I know another airhead over here that has no instrument cluster at all and is also still managing to charge slightly too.

Anyway, some info for my records; currently the bike is running pretty reliably (I wouldn't say smoothly just yet..) and I've got the following in my VM28's:

Pilot: 35
Main: 110
Slider: 2.5
Needle: 5F21

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2014, 22:48:54 »
Bit of a rollercoaster week bike-wise, on the plus side I managed to finally get out on a decent ride! Woohoo! The bike felt GREAT! So responsive and nimble through the corners, and enough power to keep pace in traffic. The was a bit of a stutter when transitioning between the pilot phase of the carbs and the main jets, however with a few WOT runs that seemed to clear itself ;).

Brakes were adequate, and clutch felt much better too. The issue of the sticky throttle is now my number one problem to rectify after the speedo is installed. Currently approaching traffic lights I have to roll the throttle off with my index finger and thumb, and pull the brake on with my other three fingers which isn't ideal by any means. If anyone pulled out in front of my I'd be toast for sure. :(

Now for the down side; having major difficulties with the Acewell, everything is hooked up but the digital dials are not getting any juice. I know the grounds are all fine as the idiot lights, analogue dial and my independently wired charge light all work perfectly. I'm 90% sure it's a defect with the unit itself however it's a public holiday over here so unable to contact Acewell until tomorrow (Tuesday).

Other than that my new seat arrived and looks great! Really impressed with the quality of the upholstery and everything is very neatly finished off. Unfortunately it doesn't quite fit over the hump of the rear fender and as such sits wonky and won't latch closed however I'm soon to eliminate that oversized fender anyway so that should fix the issue.

I'm also working on installing my new Posh indicators onto the fork tubes using a cheap and ugly bracket. I had planned to locate them on the stock headlight ears however they would have been partially obscured by the key in the ignition and I wasn't keen on that.

For those afraid of text updates, I'll put some real pics up once I've resolved the issues with the speedo and seat. At the rate I'm going I need to get this moved out of the "restorations" section and into the Cafe Racer section as the mod list keeps stacking up... ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014, 23:02:38 by ManxieRacer »

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2014, 23:53:31 »
OK so a bit of an update;

Still can't get the Acewell working properly. It worked briefly then stopped, then worked again, and then stopped again so I've sent it back to be tested and hopefully a replacement unit will fix the issue.

Besides that I have installed the new seat, indicators and bar end mirrors and took her out for a couple of decent runs over the weekend. I also bodged up a smaller fender out of an old one I had lying around.

Offline harryzet

« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:22:56 »
here in the german airhead-forums people complain about the acewell too - it seems to have troubles connecting properly with the bmw. i use a motogadget tiny, no problems at all (but only if you connect the cable for the charging-light with a 47ohm/5watt resistor)

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:45:33 »
Thanks for that info Harry. I have sent the unit back to Acewell and received correspondance from the German office. They say that there is only 0.01mm clearance between the housing and one of the main controllers in the computer which can be damaged by vibration.

They are in talks with their manufacturer and have arranged a redesigned unit for the next run which I will be receiving. Hopefully that solves it! They did say that they had a direct replacement available but there is a chance that the same issue could arise so I have decided to wait it out...who needs a speedo anyway?? ;) 

Offline Worst cb650 ever

• You can always get it running with time or money.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:52:48 »
Man that's a nice looking bike!

It sounds like Acewell is going to take care of you, but when I've run into issues were there is close clearance between electronics and housings, I've used Kapton tape as a pretty durable and effective insulator.  I had some issues with the points cover and the points on my CB360, and Kapton tape did the trick despite the heat and oil present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapton

You can normally get it from larger parts warehouses, and it is strong and both heat and cold resistant.  They used it on the Mars rovers and I guess they are still working ok  :)
DTT (Finally we have) Blue (skies) CB360 Club.

1983 VF750F

1976 CB360T

1993 CBR900RR

1979 CB650

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2014, 19:11:29 »
Many thanks, I'll see how Acewell go with replacing the unit but if not will definitely look into your solution.

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2014, 00:52:59 »
So a few developments; I've picked up a set of drag bars in black, and have a set of chrome clubmans coming my way soon so the front end will be changing pretty soon.

Besides that I've identified some splits in the rear rims and signs of fatigue in the front so it's looking like I'll need to replace those.

I'm thinking Akront's or Morad's w/ stainless steel spokes so will get onto ordering those this week. I'm a bit concerned to ride the bike too hard with the rims as they currently are. I do have a tough decision to make though; stick with the polished aluminium look, or powdercoat the rims and keep the spokes in stainless....tough one! I think I need to decide what colour the tank and fender will be painted before I can make that decision; if the tank will be dark, then polished rims are the go. If the tank is light/bright coloured, then I think dark rims would look fantastic.

The new mufflers arrived this week so they were replaced and had the carbs expertly tuned by a local custom builder. They are loud, but not obnoxious, and I would describe the sound as a 'deep bark' which certainly lets people know I'm coming! Loud pipes save lives!

I also treated myself to a new pair of Abel & Brown 'Dual' gloves in Natural Leather...simply beautiful! I can't wait to get on the road in these once the new rims are sorted.

I also started to polish the fins on the cylinders, previously I had this horrible '3 tone' look with shiny metal, dull metal, and painted black. So I've started to even that out and also shaved the fins on the black valve covers to try and blend them in with the rest of the cylinders. The black paint on the valve covers is in shocking condition, so it's flaked off pretty badly hence the wobbly lines of silver but it looks better than before and from a distance at least is passable..

If I were to sum this last few months up; 'Too much time in the shed, not enough time on the road.'  :-\
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2014, 00:55:12 by ManxieRacer »

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2014, 20:34:21 »
Bit of a mini update, she's not running as well as before and the left plug is wet with oil despite being stored on the centre stand while the right plug is near perfect. Also the dreaded oil leak in the crank casing has returned so it seems the devcon fix was not enough...

At the moment though, I'm tackling the issue of the split rims; got some new Akront rims on order which should be here in the next day or so and I've pulled the wheels apart and given the hubs to a local blaster for cleaning up and polishing, can't wait to see them late next week! 

As they say in Game of Thrones; "Winter is coming", and so it's looking like I'll need to pull the engine and get the cases welded up properly to stem this oil leak. Not sure what the cause is of the wet plug, but that will also need investigating.

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2014, 21:13:10 »
Got the hubs back from the vapour blaster, I'm very impressed! $150 for 4 hours work and they came up great.

Before:

After:

The new rims arrived also so I have sent them all off to the wheel builder to get laced up with some nice stainless spokes, he's pretty expensive (the only guy in town that does them), but considering the rims were undrilled I think it will definitely be worth it!

I also received my replacement Acewell speedo which will hopefully work now! Just need to fab up a bit of a bracket for it. I've got a choice of 3 different bars: standard, drag and clubman so I will give those all a test. I also have a left switch-block from a R65 which will move the indicator controls over to the left side and free up my right wrist for important duties such as going fast and slowing down!

I am also very seriously contemplating shortening the rear subframe whilst the wheels are off and building my own seat as I really do not like the one I purcahsed due to the large size and the 2 inch gap between it and the tank...hmm...

Offline Sonreir

• Oregon
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2014, 22:49:25 »
Moved per OP request.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1982 Honda CB750C - Project Zoidberg
1963 Yamaha YD3S
2007 Ducati Monster 695

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2014, 00:41:05 »
Many thanks, given the abundance of aftermarket parts I felt like the black sheep of the "restorations" section! :D

Online Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2014, 00:58:38 »
Have you checked the wheel bearings?  Before you lace up those (awesome) hubs, you might consider swapping the bearings out.  Woody's Wheel Works in Colorado has a service where they replace the complex stack of tapered bearings/spacers with new sealed bearings.  I had mine done and never have to think about them again.
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2014, 01:05:21 »
Yep, already have the new ones so they will be going in when I get the wheels back so that should keep everything spinning nicely. I'll also go over the axles with the vapour blaster too as they are currently a flakey black. Would love to get the stainless ones that I've seen around but I can't justify over $200 on them right now.

I was told that for the rear the bearings needed to be put on the shaft before whacking them into the hub, whereas with the fronts they can be slipped directly into the hub first. This is something I need to read up on but hopefully the wheels can be laced properly without the bearings? 

Once the wheels are back I will be taking her off to get a leakdown test to see what's going on with this left spark plug. I swear I find 3 more jobs to do every time I complete the first job!  ???
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2014, 01:07:39 by ManxieRacer »