79 cafe fighter(ish) cm400

MarcW

yo... ohio...
Don't have any before pics, standard cm400t (in a cm400a frame).

Pretty close to how it was when I got it, added clubmans, lost grab bar
IMG_0710.jpg

Chopped rear springs, lowered front end like an inch
IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Test fitting of cut up kz900 tail piece
IMG_0808.jpg

Wheel and tire change to honda hawk comstars, went from a 17 to a 18 in the front and from a 16 to a 18 in the rear. The bigger rear was causing clearance issues with the tail light...
IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Most recent pic I have, changed out exhaust to emgo shorties, waiting on pod filters. Re jetted to 90 primaries and 120 secondaries, throttle response is awesome!!! Probably gonna make a more traditional tail using a stock seat pan (I'm not really happy with the pan I made).
IMG_1145.jpg

More pics soon.

You're so close to building it Bratstyle

It looks good the way you have it now....don't stop!!!!

There's TONs of cafes around but not to many Brats

I was very unhappy with my seat so I decided to mess around with fiberglass...

start
IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Partially done and ran out of cloth... oops
IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

more updates soon, I have to be less lazy and get this done!!!

I love that back end!!! Lookin great!!! I'm startin to notice more cm400's on here! fun little bike! love the bigger tires. I'm lookin forward toseeing the new seat!

MarcW, did you paint your rear springs? I was thinking of doing that but I didn't want to get them painted and then have the paint crack. What did you use?

The ones I chopped and painted I just disassembled the shocks and used cheapo home depot flat black spray paint. The ones on the bike now are stock 76 cb550 shocks, I wanted to raise the back end up to run the tail light and turns different than they were.

The chopped/painted stock cm shocks are on dan's 68 now... There's not much for the shocks to rub against so I'm pretty sure the spray paint will hold up, if not they will probably get powder coated.

Thanks, let me know how they hold up. I would have figured that the paint would crack when the springs flexed. I'll have to try that out.

memphis said:
did either of you guys have crash bars on your CM? I've heard of a few that did..I was just curious?

I didn't, my buddy's 80 cm400e came with a crash bar and sissy bar/luggage rack monstrosity on though... both went for a pretty good penny on fleabay though...

I like the back end you have fabbed up. Looks sick. How loud is the exhaust? I still have the twin factory on mine and I don't care for the shape. I want to find something without the trumpet shape but as a daily driver I don't want it any louder than it is now. Can't wait to see it with the seat all finished up and some paint. My bike was the same color when I got it, it is now a much nicer shade of red. I wanted Yellow or Grabber green but my wife wanted red and since I bought the bike without consulting her, I figured anything to keep her happy about it is worth it.

Cheers,

Oh yeah as a fellow CM owner, I was thinking of putting something on the side panels, like Cafe Moto 400. What do you think too Cheesy? I ifnd them too plain and I don't want to just put CM400 on them. The other thought would be a DTT Decal on each panel if I can get them.

Maritime Biker said:
Oh yeah as a fellow CM owner, I was thinking of putting something on the side panels, like Cafe Moto 400. What do you think too Cheesy? I ifnd them too plain and I don't want to just put CM400 on them. The other thought would be a DTT Decal on each panel if I can get them.

I thought about doing roughly the same...what about simply "cafe 400"

My Wife liked just Cafe 400 as well. I was playing on the CM. I didn't have the crash bars either with my bike.

Maritime Biker said:
I like the back end you have fabbed up. Looks sick. How loud is the exhaust? I still have the twin factory on mine and I don't care for the shape. I want to find something without the trumpet shape but as a daily driver I don't want it any louder than it is now. Can't wait to see it with the seat all finished up and some paint.

Thanks!! It's pretty loud, mid pipe has been removed too so all it has is the emgo shorties, I just picked up a set of mac trumpets for pretty cheap so I might try them out... Seat will hopefully be done soon... ::)

Maritime Biker said:

I kinda dig the play on CM!!

Thanks. My bike is still quite stock as I don't have another one to drive two up etc. So it is still more CM than some of the others. I went down to my wifes cousins place to get my free seat pan only to find it was from a 79 and it doesn't fit an 81?? I figured they would be the same. Now I have to go buy the one from the junk yard for 30.00. Oh well pretty cheap compared to wrecking my brand new one on the bike. Only problem is they have really crappy hours and are way out in the boonies. It is hard to get there after work before they close. MarcW how are you fastening the fiberglass pan on yours? Is it bolted or are you using the latches? I want to fab something I can remove reasonabley fast to put the 2 up seat on. If I don't get the old pan I have to come up with something else.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom