www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...  (Read 16064 times)

Offline dualero

The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:10:02 »
Hi there folks, my name is Guillermo Suarez and I'm from Venezuela. I have been visiting this site from some time now and really liking what I see. I've been drawn to the cafe racer and scrambler style of bikes and since I got a bike around a year ago I decided I'll modify my bike. But now here's the thing... *drum roll* ...my bike is a Chinese commuter bike.

This kind of bikes have been gaining exponential popularity down here for being uber cheap, reliable and "almost" up to par when talking about power compared to Japanese bikes.

Anyway, I was surfing and searching through the forum and realized that there was no correct sub-forum to post this thread. I posted here as really had no other option.

You would wonder why would I want to modify such (an ugly) bike: it is my DD and its what I have now, I cant afford any other bike for the moment and because of how my bike is now, some restoration would be very nice. So I thought why not make my bike prettier and at the same time modify it and enjoy the process of doing so?

This is my bike (but Black):

The project is going as much as a Scrambler/Tracker I can get only using Chinese parts as I cant afford any other brands, It's cheap, easy to get as here we don't have bike junkyards or any bikes to restore on classifieds.

Would this build be suitable here? Would you be interested in seeing this build? Thanks.

Offline dualero

Re: The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:20:55 »
First off this is what i'll be working with

this is 6 months ago:

This pic is on its way to change fork and fork clamps

Here's with the fork changed,  as the new fork is 6 centimeters longer I lost the ability to use the stand hahahaha, also in this pic you can see that I have the bike on the stand and over 2 blocks of wood, this is one of my firts attempts to find the new geometry of the bike

Then i was looking for days at those pics, I realized that the rear end is to short in comparison to the front end, thing I'm sorting soon.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:22:23 »
What is the front mag (Wheel) from? I love it.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline dualero

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:26:30 »
What is the front mag (Wheel) from? I love it.

Thats her original front wheel! that wheel I'll keep, I also be getting a GN125 rear 16" wheel as the rear wheel makes me puke everytime I go near the bike HAHAHAHAHA

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:28:09 »
Ha, welcome to the site, sir.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline 65Bellett

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:39:09 »
Looking forward to seeing the progress of this project. No doubt this sort of thing is going to become very common as these bikes flood the market.

Offline dualero

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2014, 14:54:34 »
I want this project to make the bike become (look like) some sort of tracker/scrambler style.  As this bike is my daily driver I really want to enhance the performance in paved roads, this means change both, tires an suspension. This bike is has a 125cc engine, so the bike is pretty small. In the rear I'm changing the 18" wheel for a GN125 rear wheel that's 16". The 18" at the front will stay that way until I find a 16" matching front wheel.

You guys would wonder why I'm reducing the wheel diameter, this is due to not having good availability of tires in 18" size here in my country. Another important aspect is that reducing the wheel diameter I can get a meatier tire, have a more "motard" look, and maintain, within a certain amount, the overall tire size so I can leave alone the pinion and sprocket ratio and not mess with the almost insignificant power this little engine has. Can't go to a bigger tire (diametrically).

This post was originally posted on chop cult, but then realized that the site is too chopper/bobber oriented and this build had little interest, that then decayed. Although the response on chop cult was low, some people suggested that scrambler bikes have a smaller clearance under the bike. Knowing this though I would not like the bike to be lower than what is seating right now,  the reason to keep this height is that here in Caracas our streets are a horrible mess of nonuniform, pot-hole plagued asphalt with speed reducers every 20/30m sometimes. I also run mostly through a lot of mountain roads with really steep, ups and downs, and really awkward steep transitions and I would really appreciate having a more upright, relaxed, neutral position over the bike, like what you have on a motard bike, and good arm travel in both directions so is comfortable for the style/type of riding I do.

I'll be posting some progress to get this thread up to date. Shoot your opinions suggestions! I'll be needing them :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline dualero

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:49:15 »
All right, updating!

So, 4-3 weeks ago:

Some Headlight mounts I made, they slide on the fork stanchions and clamp in position

here are after welding and drilling

Cut to length and making adjustments to drill the bolt holes

Headlight mounted

From above

Yesterday made little advance in frame building by de-tabbing all unnecessary elements welded to the frame.

Then I begin to experiment with the length of the rear swingarm, and as said before, something between 6 and 8 cm would help a lot with the looks of the bike and allowing me to raise the rear end a bit.

this are 2 paintings that I have fiddled with. Notice they have the "long" swingarm and the fork extended all the way.

1)

2)

I like the raised seat one a bit more. What do you guys think?

Also made a jig to bend my rear hoop. Made some 90 bends and took 2 for the rear hoop. The bend was made with the "sand bending"  technique: round tube, filled with sand, and plugged in the ends. With the help of a torch, bend the tube around the circular jig and voila, 90 bends.

Here are the tube bent , and the pieces presented over the frame to see how it's turning.

2-1 weeks ago:

all right guys Ive been really busy, but somehow managed to make some little updates to the bike, i had a front fender that came with the new fork. Yesterday I had the chance to trim it, and test it on the bike, this is how it looks:

Fender is a bit crooked as it was held momentarily by tape, just to see how it looked. what do you guys think? After looking at the pics, would it be better for the look to trim some height on the sides of the fender front and back? Making it just a bit thinner in the ends but not in the center, and leaving the length as is now? any other suggestions are welcome.

Another thing I had the chance to make, is this tiny fella:

a crankcase breather filter out of a universal fuel filter. I had the hose just hanging down, now it looks a lot better. Also I managed to give the bike a good clean, as you can see.

*For DTT users: I wrote this and never uploaded any pics, I don't know what went wrong hahaha"

Cheers!

1 Week - Today:

Hello people!
So today was my first real work day on the bike since I last posted.

First I removed the seat and rear fender and began taking measures. Marked and cut the end of the tubes to make the seat loop.

Had the tubes cut

Made the loop from 2 90 bends I made sand bending the tube.

Then cleaned the welds.

END OF UPDATE

Well this is all I have dinero until now on the bike, tomorrow and the weekend will be days to work on the bike, so some more progress is coming soon. Hope you like how's turning. Greetings

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2014, 05:08:13 by dualero »

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:07:41 »
That first image screams Jincheng to me. Did I get the brand right?

Very nice work so far mate. I am looking forward to what you can achieve with this.

Also that engine bears a striking resemblance to the Skyteam "Ace" engine. I wonder if the 150cc kits would fit....
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:17:30 »
Hi there folks, my name is Guillermo Suarez and I'm from Venezuela. I have been visiting this site from some time now and really liking what I see. I've been drawn to the cafe racer and scrambler style of bikes and since I got a bike around a year ago I decided I'll modify my bike. But now here's the thing... *drum roll* ...my bike is a Chinese commuter bike.

This kind of bikes have been gaining exponential popularity down here for being uber cheap, reliable and "almost" up to par when talking about power compared to Japanese bikes.

Anyway, I was surfing and searching through the forum and realized that there was no correct sub-forum to post this thread. I posted here as really had no other option.

You would wonder why would I want to modify such (an ugly) bike: it is my DD and its what I have now, I cant afford any other bike for the moment and because of how my bike is now, some restoration would be very nice. So I thought why not make my bike prettier and at the same time modify it and enjoy the process of doing so?

This is my bike (but Black):

The project is going as much as a Scrambler/Tracker I can get only using Chinese parts as I cant afford any other brands, It's cheap, easy to get as here we don't have bike junkyards or any bikes to restore on classifieds.

Would this build be suitable here? Would you be interested in seeing this build? Thanks.

Yes - suitable, and yes let's see your build !

That's the whole point of this hobby of ours - no point all "being different together" with yet another fuggin Gixer or what the fuck ever.

Personal input is what it's all about - and if that's what you can afford for now, that's a starter for ten. Sell it for a huge profit when completed and put the money into the next project, etc.,etc.,etc.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"