www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...  (Read 16047 times)

Offline dualero

Re: The Chinese Tracker/Scrambler thing...
« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:19:41 »
This thread will get a revamp, grinder attacked the bike again. Starting all over.  Shes pretty much the same bike she was last time I showed her to you.

See you soon!

Offline Erskine

« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:33:26 »
Get the pics up! What did you do about the head dilemna. I'm running a 125 head on 150 and the high comp gives plenty of zap. Check out the ACE section, its the same engine as yours and lots of peops going up to 150.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=101.0

Offline dualero

« Reply #42 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:50:30 »
Get the pics up! What did you do about the head dilemna. I'm running a 125 head on 150 and the high comp gives plenty of zap. Check out the ACE section, its the same engine as yours and lots of peops going up to 150.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=101.0
Hi! Went with the 125 head, lots of compression, but not ridiculous. I like the way the motor is now. I've just changed to a new wiring/CDI/stator/RR  combo so I can run 12v volts. One of the nightmares I've have to deal with when buying China parts here in Venezuela. Electrical ones are not really respectable.

So, I've manged to run the engine just before tearing the bike down. I'm redoing everything I left behind. And didn't finish.

I'll post some pics later! Glad at least someone is following! Cheers!

Offline Alex jb

« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2015, 13:16:33 »
Brilliant job so far buddy!
Even more kudos that you are doing it while riding the bike as your main transport!

As for the front fork drop and seat height... I'd say stop asking us and get what feels best first (especially as you are tall), then look at the side profile, then ask other people.
You have done a lot of work and learned a lot, but make sure the bike works well for you and feels good to ride.

Offline Erskine

« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2015, 18:20:47 »
Did you stick with the stock carb by the way? Mine is stock and it does the job just fine.
The next level of power increase is to go to 200cc .... This can be done with the crank from a Lifan GY/CG 200 and a spacer under the 150 barrel. Just a thought if you ever have to replace your crank. My CG must be about 30,000 miles now (48k) and under heavy load I fancy it is starting to rumble.

Offline dualero

« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2015, 07:24:00 »
Alex jb, thanks for your kind words! I've managed to mod the bike while it was my only daily driver, but that changed since April this year. I had the chance to buy another Chinese bike new from a friend an Empire Owen (GN125 copy) and that is what led me to restart the project again, I now have an additional vehicle to let the Chinese scrambler to be built the right way.

Today I covered every hole or imperfections there were on the frame tubes with my welder. I've also removed the rear shocks upper mounts in order to redesign and rebuild that section of the frame, I believe was a weak part of the frame. Tomorrow the plan is to grind away those weld beads and leave the ones that are not seen if they are structural.

Erskine, the carb subject is something I wanted to comment you about.

So, before going 150 bore, I had the original carb that the bike came with, a Walbro PZ26, and the bike ran well. Short after making the 150 bore conversion, the bike seized from the crank rod, and after making the necessary repairs, the bike did not run well with that carb.

Seen as I already had trouble tunning that mentioned carb (no change on RPM at mixture screw, low idle cold then fast idle when hot, etc), decided to ditch it as I had a almost new PZ27 one laying around the house. I don't now if the new carb (PZ27) is jetted for 150 or for 200 cc. As I recently made the bike run several times for installing the new wiring, I could notice the bike is running really well in the idle circuit. So I think is jetted correctly for my bike, this seen through the spark plug, if not I will get the right jets when I have the chance.

After changing the wiring and installing the new carb, the bike starts 2nd kick, choke off, and idles constant cold or hot

Another subject of extreme importance is that I have no airbox for this bike. Should I get the airbox right away, no questions asked? Or could I somehow tune the bike to run from a pod (I'm thinking UNI's). What's the best option?

Thaks buds!

Here is a sneak peek of what I've been doing

Offline Erskine

« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:29:57 »
See you have been busy. I run mine with a cheap pod filter to keep the rocks out. I dont think these are particularly fussy, unlike CV carbs which need still air. Just make sure you have something to keep the crap from being sucked in. If you were going for technical high speed in a track environment a long bell mouth would deliver an extra fraction of a bhp but what you need is torque and that likes a short tract.

Offline dualero

« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:52:51 »
I thought those pics were good, but now I see my blurry-crappie-cellphone-photoshoot was not the best choice. Either way now you have a clue of what I have done. When I have the frame ready I will take some outdoor daylight ones.

I have some of those China made mesh style pods, that I was using before teardown so I guess we have the same setup. It's really dirty but here it is

When you talk about a short tract, how long that is? What would be a good starting point for the length of the intake? I'm thinking PVC pipe for that, and I have to figure out a way to, first open a bit more the filter opening, and then attach the filter to what's going to be the intake.

This is how the filter opening looks like

But that opening is smaller than the carb throat. So, any thoughts?

Offline Erskine

« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2015, 17:33:50 »
I think your filter is missing the inlet rubber?? Mine is held on straight to the carb by a jubilee clip around the rubber.
I've seen some air filter tubes made out of plumbing pipe, also from car radiator hoses, which can be quite long and use curved sections to position the filter in places with more room. It doesn't seem to make a big difference, simply it's important that the carb gets clean air.

Offline dualero

« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2015, 15:49:07 »
Hi folks! Here's an Update

So today got some time in the morning to spend on the bike.

First, finished all the flap disc duties on the frame. You'll notice the bike might be a little twisted on the pics (she's been crashed before, left out in the open, etc), and that the welds may not look as good as they should, but they serve their purpose. I'm in for learning what to do and what not to do when building/rebuilding a bike, and then do it the right way. This bike isn't about aesthetics, I want it to look and perform good, and with good proportions. A ratty, uncluttered, simple, yet not-too-clean look suits the bike very well.

You'll see that as I will soon look for some of the best shots I had of the bike at the last stage I got her in. For you to have an idea of what the bike looks like.

Then got the fork clamps removed from the frame, and proceeded to remove the bearings and bearing races. This is the top assembly. Bottom assembly was almost gone. This bike has really seen the worst.

This is the frame full of the crud that was accumulated during all this years. First, the Bottom. Second, tops.

Then came the bottom triple clamp, got the bearing races pressed out, and gave her a good old clean with degreaser. The shiny spots on the stem are flap disc treatment as it seems some balls of the top bearing got loose and fell down the head stock, and marked the hell out of the stem. I had to grind those marks away in order to remove the lower bearing race completely from the stem. It got stuck bad in some of those marks. Shots before and after cleaning.

Here I have the new bearings, I hope they fit stack wise. I'm going to install them dry to check fitment then remove for paint, then install everything again cleanly.

I'm working on the bike right now, more to follow.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2015, 17:05:16 by dualero »