www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1981 Yamaha SR250 Cafe Racer  (Read 177941 times)

Offline yoRt

Re: 1981 Yamaha SR250 Cafe Racer
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2010, 15:54:05 »
good, clean cafe build with huge attention to detail.  excellent job man
dSoc #86 - Retired

1982 cb650 - modern cafe

Offline n0regret5

« Reply #251 on: Jun 22, 2010, 22:56:02 »
great inspiration!! i'm doing something very similar with my GN250 once i've got it re-vinned, that rd400 tank looks just perfect! i may have to find one too. keep up the good work, i'm looking forward to seeing more!!!!

Offline lunar_c

« Reply #252 on: Aug 01, 2010, 11:00:45 »
The painted parts arrived this evening. Thanks to Matt for driving up with them. They're not polished yet so they need to go back to have their final polish and a blemish fixed up on the tank but I have them here for a week or so to finish off mocking up the rear of the bike.

I also got the stainless exhaust Matt's been making to test fit. It was a win first time.

Here's a pic with the tank and seat back on the bike .. as you can see I need to make up the seat cushion and cover it in black vinyl. I also really need a shot in the daylight to show the actual colour so I'll try and get one tomorrow .. here's a teaser for now.

And here is a couple of the new 38mm stainless exhaust being offered up for a test fit ..

I hope to finish up the bike with the standard SR wheel sizes and brakes in the next month or two .. and get it registered, then work on rebuilding the wheels and the other motor.
If you can't explain something to your grandmother, you don't understand it - Albert Einstein

Offline valvesprung

« Reply #253 on: Aug 01, 2010, 14:02:13 »
And it just keeps on getting better  ;D
'79 KZ650SR (the show pony)
'97 Buell S3
1980 XS850

Offline lunar_c

« Reply #254 on: Aug 02, 2010, 05:52:17 »
This is my rough idea for the rear guard. Substitute the cardboard for polished aluminium sheet.

The tail light will be mounted on this just below the hump .. and the indicators just below the brake light either side .. and the number plate just below the brake light. I hope this meets the legal requirements because there's bugger all room to fit anything else!

Now for some shots in daylight to show the colour properly. There's a few. It's gratuitious, I know. But it's my bike and I like it. So there.

The black vinyl of the seat pad should be just enough to break up the colour, and some little yamaha logo's on either side of the tank, and the chrome tank cap will finish it off. Simple and clean.

Matt called it "I'm over here" red.. I think that's quite apt.

So tomorrow to bend and cut that guard up .. and mount all my electrics .. and work out what to do about mounting my ignition coil, because I screwed up and forgot to put it on when I mounted the tank and it fouls on it .. D'oh!
If you can't explain something to your grandmother, you don't understand it - Albert Einstein

Offline jay_kent

• 1979 cb650
    • Cafe build blog
« Reply #255 on: Aug 02, 2010, 13:51:40 »
That is one sick little bike, Quite the difference than its normal cruiser stance it first sported. Wouldn't recognize it as a sr250

I love this little bike
DTT build thread - here
More pics at my Cafe build blog - Here

"And yeah David...you're pretty much bugshit nuts just like the rest of us." ~Swagger

Offline lunar_c

« Reply #256 on: Aug 04, 2010, 10:34:01 »
As I welded the mounts on for the tank without the ignition coil .. I got a bit of a shock when I got the tank back and it wouldn't go on with the coil in place. Oops!
So I made up some little brackets to mount the coil in between the spine of the frame and the horizontal bracing tube that runs between it and the down tube. It fits perfectly now but I need to relocate the CDI box - swings and roundabouts ..

Tucked up inside the frame rails it's no longer an issue clearing the tank.

I also got the electronics tray bolted on so all the major bits and pieces are squared away. I need to make a battery tray from aluminium angle to secure it with and will probably mount the CDI to the front of that under the hump. The regulator will go somewhere under the seat near the crankcase breather filter out in the airflow.

I also stuck my cut down front fender back on .. I like the look of it with the paint now. I only wish it was done properly with a rolled-back edge.

And finally here's a photo my mate Gareth (who was my helper for this evening, thanks mate!) took of me sitting on the bike. I am a little big, I'll admit.

Offline stik70

« Reply #257 on: Aug 05, 2010, 09:06:00 »
Looking Fantastic, Great Job!!
"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge" E.J. Potter

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #258 on: Aug 21, 2010, 21:37:24 »
This is one great looking bike...Good work!
..needs more cow bell.

Offline chilli

• Learning, swearing, breaking, fixing, making.
« Reply #259 on: Sep 30, 2010, 17:01:57 »
Great job on the bike mate, looks fantastic.

Just wondering how much you raised the rear shocks by. I'm thinking of getting new (longer) shocks for mine.