www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: What did you build this week?  (Read 147188 times)

Offline edelweiss

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: What did you build this week?
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:20:03 »
From one designer to another: AWESOME WORK GUYS!
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2014, 03:21:55 by edelweiss »
74 Yamaha DT360 Enduro
79 Yamaha YZ125

Offline edelweiss

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:23:20 »
Carb light.

Carb is from CL77 Honda.

Did you make that light bulb cage?
74 Yamaha DT360 Enduro
79 Yamaha YZ125

Offline DrJ

« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:28:50 »
Seriously talented craftsmen here.

Offline bradj

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:59:36 »
More work on this thing

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2014, 13:15:58 »
...And cold proofing my shop. I went through 500 bucks in propane in the last 13 days. Emptied my tank. Fuck this weather. So we have been redoing insulation where its worn, filling door gap, made a big swinging door to cover the exhaust fan when its not in use etc.

Wood heat man - get a big woodstove in there, or a pellet stove if you want a self-feeding unit.  Nothing like wood heat.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
What did you build this week?
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2014, 13:25:45 »
Agreed Tim.
After seeing the propane prices for next year (I'm locked in this year) wood stove is absolutely in my future. The problem is my shop is huge and wide open so it will take hours to get warm with a wood heater. I think the plan is to keep the propane for the initial heat up and then use the wood to keep it warm

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2014, 13:29:02 »
Totally different scale, but when we were looking at heating options for the cottage in the fall, we considered a wall mounted propane furnace.  Just a small 35,000 BTU unit or the like.  What we found is in fact propane is very slow compared to wood, and it's also a 'damp' heat.

You build a roaring fire in a large woodstove and you're looking at massive BTU.  Get a fan in there or a stove with a blower and you're golden.  An actual wood-fired central air furnace might be the best option, if it's a large shop.  My inlaws had a wood-fired furnace in their home.  Forced air heat, but with wood as the fuel.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2014, 15:22:57 »
+1 on that.  Wood heat is fast, cheap and with either a fan or funance ducts it is easy to heat large areas.  Only thing is you have to be there to add fuel, unless it is pellets.  And a regular stove has no thermostat.  It just gets hotter and hotter. But from the sounds of it your space can handle it.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
What did you build this week?
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2014, 16:09:59 »
Yeah the wood shop is 75x50 with 20 ft ceilings so its a bitch to heat. Poorly insulated.

I'm going to build a double barrel stove next week and see how that does since its cheap and I have the barrels. If it works well I may upgrade to a nicer pre made furnace

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2014, 17:01:12 »
Totally different scale, but when we were looking at heating options for the cottage in the fall, we considered a wall mounted propane furnace.  Just a small 35,000 BTU unit or the like.  What we found is in fact propane is very slow compared to wood, and it's also a 'damp' heat.

You build a roaring fire in a large woodstove and you're looking at massive BTU.  Get a fan in there or a stove with a blower and you're golden.  An actual wood-fired central air furnace might be the best option, if it's a large shop.  My inlaws had a wood-fired furnace in their home.  Forced air heat, but with wood as the fuel.

Propane creates humidity because of the hydrogen, but that can be counteracted with ventilation and draft.  Propane actually has the highest BTU output compared to natural gas, but the per dollar comparison makes natural gas cheaper.  Depending on how much you pay for a cord of wood, if anything at all, wood can actually be the cheapest of all heating methods.  The caveat is it has to be dry. Green wood produces 3/4 to 1/2 the BTU's of dry wood.  It all depends on the wood though.  Outside of Pinon Pine or Osage, which you have to live in the southwest for, Hickory, Dogwood, Hornbeam, Apple, White Oak, Ash, Douglas Fir and Locust are best.  When we fire wood kilns, we start with pine, black walnut, birch, or even hemlock to get a slow start then add hardwoods when temps get above 1100 degrees.  It's nothing to get a wood kiln above 2400 degrees, where most gas or propane slows down significantly as it approaches 2300.