'83 Kawasaki GPZ750 Cafe Racer Build- 2014 Greasy Dozen Builder # 8

farnie

Built, Not Bought...
I have been selected by Bear at The Old Bike Barn as one of the 12 2014 Greasy Dozen sponsored builders. My project, which will be documented here is a '83 Kawasaki GPZ750 Cafe Racer build.

You can find the Greasy Dozen posts here: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33612. The project includes 4 Cafe Racers- so it may be worth the look for you DTT guys.

The original donor bike has been in my boneyard for about a year- I picked it up here in Reno for $150. The engine is frozen solid, the brakes are almost locked, and its basically roached. But a great platform to build from. I have also been chasing a Craigslist ad for 4 months on another donor bike for this build, and finally connected with the guy last weekend. Picked up a barn fresh scoot, titled frame and assorted parts for $500. A titled 1981 Kawi KZ750, a titled 1984 Kawi GPZ frame, wheels, suspension and brakes, and on top of that he threw in a complete 1980 Kawi KZ440 if I'd just get it out of there.

So this build will now incorporate the original donor bike- a 1983 Kawi GPZ750 Unitrak frame with anti-dive suspension (first year these were offered), the new titled GPZ frame, and parts from the '81KZ750. 2 1/2 complete bikes, with titles- so plenty of parts to choose from. The goal is to make a custom cafe racer with as many original parts as possible. The teardowns start this weekend!

Attachments

• photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    824.8 KB · Views: 13,416
  • photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 576
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 582
I checked out the site. I believe it is worth a look, it struck me that when Cafes and bobbers are given equal billing to Choppers on a "chopper Site, that says something positive to the view of Cafes in the custom bike world. Good luck Farnie, be the dirtiest of the dozen!!

rundown,

That's the great thing about Bear at Old Bike Barn, he respects and admires all kinds of custom bikes and builders- cafe racers included. Should be a fun 7 months coming up...

Farnie

UPDATE: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ cafe racer build- a picture of the inspiration bike, and Gulf racing paint scheme. A homage to the "balls to the wall" Kawi's of the late '70's and early '80's- the precursors to todays crotch rockets, and to Gulf Team Racing of the '70's, and Steve McQueen's role in LeMans.

Attachments

• #2 Cafe Racer.jpg
    #2 Cafe Racer.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 33,236
  • porsche-997-turbo-gulf-racing-wrap-photo-gallery_12.jpg
    porsche-997-turbo-gulf-racing-wrap-photo-gallery_12.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 1,869
Started the tear down today- I forgot how beefy and big boned this bike is. Lots of shit to strip off. I also realized that none of my other engines will fit this frame- the motor is bigger than the 650's I have. I don't think the other donor bike motor will fit either- thats an '82 kz750 E. Which mean I'm going to have to get this engine running (its a roach), or find another one on eBay. Hmmm... More tear down tomorrow...

Might want to double check that.....650 and 750 are the same size. Hell even the 900 is close to the same size. I have heard of guys fitting them into the small frame bikes. Perhaps GPZ stuff is different???

Farnie said:
Started the tear down today- I forgot how beefy and big boned this bike is. Lots of shit to strip off. I also realized that none of my other engines will fit this frame- the motor is bigger than the 650's I have. I don't think the other donor bike motor will fit either- thats an '82 kz750 E. Which mean I'm going to have to get this engine running (its a roach), or find another one on eBay. Hmmm... More tear down tomorrow...

The GPz750 is the same size as a 650. Are you sure you have a 750? What are the numbers cast into the side of the block?
It will read .738L for a 750. If it is bigger in size it would be a 1000/.998L or 1100/1.089L and would be cast in the front of
the block.

And what are the first 6 letters and numbers on the steering neck.
That will tell you the frame.

attatoy and Nebr_Rex,

I went out and took measurements again, and they seem close, except for the back of the crankcase connection points. But that may be due to the different style brackets that Ma Kawi used. I have a lower engine half that I'll try with the second GPz titled frame when it gets here Monday. I would be o easy to use one of the 2 running KZ650 motor, and rebuild the zx750 (GPz) motor later. News at 11:00...

The serial numbers are as follows;

KZ650B- 1978 KZ650
KZ650D- 1978 KZ650

JKAZXDA1- 1983 GPz750

Thanks for the feedback,

Farnie

I would be starting with the KZ650 b frame and putting the kz750 motor into it. The b frame will take alot less mods to get the cafe look. Its more classy if you will. 8) Cognito moto is building a Billet upper triple clamp that will clean up the trees. That b bike should have spokes too? Clip ons? Of the DC Thruxton cafe back fits like it was made for that bike BTW (the KZ650b i mean)

Attatoy said:
I would be starting with the KZ650 b frame and putting the kz750 motor into it. The b frame will take alot less mods to get the cafe look. Its more classy if you will. 8) Cognito moto is building a Billet upper triple clamp that will clean up the trees. That b bike should have spokes too? Clip ons? Of the DC Thruxton cafe back fits like it was made for that bike BTW (the KZ650b i mean)

+1 on the 650 being easier to work with.

UPDATE- Started the tear- I forgot how beefy and big boned this bike is. Lots of Poo to strip off, and it all weighs a ton... More tear down tomorrow...

Attachments

• photo 1-2.jpg
    photo 1-2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 4,024
  • photo 2-3.jpg
    photo 2-3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,884
UPDATE- More tear down today, and I decided to cut up that ugly GPz tank. Im going to use the bottom that fits over the frame as a blank to build a fiberglass tank over it. Saw a guy here on Do The Ton do it (he has the same paint job I'm doing, but I swear I was going to go with the Gulf racing colors before I saw his build) and you can see it here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19771.45. Its starts about half way down page 4- very interesting stuff. His project thread is a great one, and worth the read. Chris built an amazing bike...

Attachments

• photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4,003
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,047
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 4,011
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 4,009
Attatoy said:

Attatoy,

As a sponsored builder in the 2014 Greasy Dozen, ( http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33612 ) I have to build the project I submitted, which was the GPz. I have 3 other KZ's that will become projects eventually. I know what you mean about the ease of building on that platform, and agree...

Farnie

My advice was based on my info......you sir will get nothing but the best ideas i have to help you from now on based on the rules you have set. As i kz owner myself as well as a guy in the same boat i wish you luck! So since we have this on the the old cuttin board......what do you have to use and what cane you "sub"?

Attatoy said:
My advice was based on my info......you sir will get nothing but the best ideas i have to help you from now on based on the rules you have set. As i kz owner myself as well as a guy in the same boat i wish you luck! So since we have this on the the old cuttin board......what do you have to use and what cane you "sub"?

Attatoy- no real rules, just that I'd use the GPz platform, which I want to do anyway. As I mentioned in my first post- the '83 PGz frame, with its Unitrak mono shock, and anti-dive front brakes was the precursor to todays crotch rockets. Plus, I had this roached donor bike taking up space in the boneyard, so why not... Thanks for the interest and feedback.

Farnie

vbtravisd said:
Saw you got selected for the GD... congrats man. I'll be keeping up with your build.

Thanks- Im stoked. I entered last year, but didn't make the cut, so Ive been thinking about this build for awhile.

farnie

Back
Top Bottom