www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Cb450 modern Brat build  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Cb450 modern Brat build
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2014, 16:35:04 »
If you really don't like the blinkers I will buy them from you...but I agree that they should stay.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline sanu29

Re: Cb450 modern Brat build
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2014, 18:04:19 »
If you really don't like the blinkers I will buy them from you...but I agree that they should stay.

Thanks for the feedback, since everyone likes them I think I will keep em. you can order them from amazon pretty cheap though http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX7L1XI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Offline sanu29

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2014, 23:06:00 »
I was riding the bike and couple of times the power was cut off and the bike will be dead and it looked like the ignition switch was broken. I had to jiggle the switch to with keys to get the power on. so I ordered a used switch from ebay which was in good condition and replaced my old one. worked like a charm.

Offline rattpunk

« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:32:23 »
I love simple fixes like that. Nice looking carbs btw. Good luck with the lessons. I still need to pick up a good book on Mikunis.
"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." - Charles Kettering

Mongrel cm450

Offline ApriliaBill

• Yeah...I'm old school.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:57:26 »
Blinkers stay, just take an inch off the stalks, and agree with everybody that the headlight rocks...
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Offline mark13018

• "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2014, 21:40:06 »
Yup. Agreed as well with above... Interested to see more progress... Subscribed  ;D
need wire for your custom build? Click here!

1971 CL450 cafe "Project Amelia" 
1979 Kawasaki KZ650 "Blue Bessie"
1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR belt "Project X"
1995 Honda Magna Deluxe
1987 Honda Super Magna - sold :-(
2006 Honda CBR600RR
1964 CB77 superhawk
1965 CL72 scrambler
2013 honda metropolitan

Offline sanu29

« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:33:45 »
Yup. Agreed as well with above... Interested to see more progress... Subscribed  ;D

I love simple fixes like that. Nice looking carbs btw. Good luck with the lessons. I still need to pick up a good book on Mikunis.

Blinkers stay, just take an inch off the stalks, and agree with everybody that the headlight rocks...

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. I am keeping the blinkers :)
Next step took the tank off, I am hoping to sort the wiring, connect the new Li-ion battery and Sparck Moto rectifier/regulator combo.

I am also thinking of painting the tank a satin white color. :)
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2014, 01:36:52 by sanu29 »

Offline sanu29

« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2014, 23:27:03 »
Finally had some free time and took the front sprocket apart. Man the gear shifter took me like an hour to get out.  These insides look grimy to me,  any tips on cleaning them out is welcome. Also does that shaft sticking out other than the gearshift shaft needs to be lubricated, if so what type?

I am planning on replacing the sprocket with a 520 one. The chain also doesn't look too good to me.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:41:39 »
definitely time for a new chain and sprockets. Do yourself a favor and get a rivet style master link not one of the clip on ones. I wouldn't worry about cleaning in there too much. 1. you cant see it when the drive cover is on 2. it will get grimey again when you lube your chain, unless you are one of those guys that doesn't lube (ouch) ;D you may want to put a touch of grease on the shift shaft before reinstalling the cover as to not damage the oil seal if one is present. i wouldn't worry about the clutch pushrod.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2014, 06:45:04 by doc_rot »
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline frogman

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • '74 CB360, '71 CB450, '75 CB550SS
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2014, 10:01:45 »
Man that's a good looking bike, I'd ride the hell out of it just as is with some cleaning and soft part replacements anyway. If you're gonna repaint, get some replacement parts and paint those, that blue/white on the tank is awesome, even if its a little dinged or scratched up it has more character than then just a white paint job. If it was me I would clean it up and wax or clear it and call it done.

I think you might find there is just about the same amount of aftermarket stuff for those stock carbs as there are for the mikunis, nothing against them I've had lots of luck getting mine to run fine, however closer you keep things to stock the better they work, slapping pods on the back of them will cause all kinds of issues.

Next time you need to pull the shifter just take the bolt out and drive a flat head screwdriver into the slot at the back to expand it. Should slide right off then. Be careful chain kits as some of the larger sized ones will rub the clutch actuating arm inside the cover and rip it apart. Cleaning in there is nothing more than getting a can of degreaser and spraying it around. No real need to clean up since it will end up dirty anyway, can check seals for leaks while you are in there any way, make sure the washer is still locked in place on the shift shaft with a cir-clip. If the clip looks remotely loose replace it, that's one of the main problems with 450's, will cause funky or hard shifting. Make sure you don't loose the ball bearing in the clutch actuator.  ;)

If you haven't gotten one already copy of of the HONDA shop manual can be had here

I suggest getting comfy with that engine, they are wonderful little pieces of art that have internals that look like sewing machines. Get something wrong they run like crap or don't at all. Get em right they have more than enough power to hang with just about everything out there today. Still surprises me how much power mine makes sometimes.