www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)  (Read 37227 times)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2014, 22:02:45 »
Horrible how? Disk and caliper are definitely heavy, no arguments there. Like I said, i may do a swap down the road but considering I have a working rear brake that is fully rebuilt, it will not be considered until this bike is on the road and tuned. The swing-arm bracing is admittedly a bit overkill, too many braces, maybe a bit too low. However I think it looks fine, and if you dont....  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014, 22:13:01 by doc_rot »
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline Drewski

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2014, 22:32:44 »
Horrible how? Disk and caliper are definitely heavy, no arguments there. Like I said, i may do a swap down the road but considering I have a working rear brake that is fully rebuilt, it will not be considered until this bike is on the road and tuned. The swing-arm bracing is admittedly a bit overkill, too many braces, maybe a bit too low. However I think it looks fine, and if you dont....  ;D

Haha! Good on ya doc!! Steady On Sir!   ;D

The Kawasaki Line-Up:

"Keepin' the Good Times Rolling"

STREET:
'02 zrx1200r "DailyRider"
'05 zx10r "RetroLookRacer"
'77 "Fauz" z1 kz/zx10r "Superbike" BOTM

PLAY:
'72 kv75 "Pitbike" 4 Sale

TRACK:
'81 GPz/kz550 "TrackBike"

FOR SALE or GONE:
'75 s1-250 Triple "Survivor" SOLD & GONE!!
'99 zrx1100 "euro-style" 4 Sale
'74 h2b/FZ "Mongrel" BOTM & GONE!!

IN PROCESS:
Seaglider's '74 h2b Tracy/FBG
Drewski's '71 h1a/750 "Gentleman's Hammer"

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #52 on: Dec 15, 2014, 18:37:43 »
So making a seat for the first time was A LOT of work. I did all the sewing, the only assistance needed was figuring out how to put the damn sewing machine in low gear, and someone pulling as i fed the final piping seam through because the machine was bogging down.

But it turns out I made a huge mistake, I didn't leave enough room for the vinyl to wrap under the seat pan and now it wont fit down all the way. GAHHHH!!!  I spent two full days working on this seat i probably have about 12-14 hours in it. I really don't want to re-do the seat, so I have been thinking about possible solutions.

I trimmed all the excess foam off the bottom and riveted it as tight to the edge as possible. I think the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be to re-fit the top subframe rails. Any suggestions? I will remake the seat if that is my only recourse..... I'm floundering over here!!
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014, 18:39:42 by doc_rot »
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #53 on: Dec 15, 2014, 18:39:22 »
that looks fantastic  :D you can do mine ??

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #54 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:41:45 »
I agree, that looks great.  Can you say a little more about the upholstery you used, where would one get something like this?  Also, what kind of wood are you using for the rear suspension?
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline fury413rb

« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:21:34 »
that huge boat anchor heavy KZ disc and caliper is just horrible though  :-[ :-\
why not put something svelt on it ? and your swingarm bracing is a bit over the top as well,too deep it doesn't look right

doesnt look right or wont function right
Taylor
'79 KZ650C3 - In town beater
'75 RD125 - Little Smoker
'77 KL250 - All stock survivor
'11 Speed Triple 1050 - Commuter

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2014, 16:44:23 »
I agree, that looks great.  Can you say a little more about the upholstery you used, where would one get something like this?  Also, what kind of wood are you using for the rear suspension?

thanks! Ill try and keep it brief. I'm not an expert i just read on the interwebs about how to do it. I bought my foam from Friendly Foam in Seattle, WA. i used the stuff they recommended. I started with 1.5" pink closed cell foam for the base. then I folded .5" gel-foam over that. I used RP2020 as a spray adhesive. its super strong. I then shaped the foam with an angle grinder with a flap wheel to rough it out and then smoothed it out with a orbital sander. I bought some marine grade vinyl and some 92 weight polyester thread. The thread is crazy strong. I then sewed .5" sew-foam to the vinyl. Sew-foam has a fabric backing so the thread will not pull out or cut the foam; it is what gives it the ridges. Its hard to see in the pics but i used a one stitch zig-zag instead of a straight stitch to spread the load out more. Once i had the ridges sewn i entrapped some plastic cording in vinyl for the piping. sew that loosely to one side, then sew the final pass tight against the cording. If you're really good you just sew it in one pass but I did it in three; progressively getting closer to hide my previous seams. I then sprayed the top of the seat with RP2020 and stretched the seat cover tight over the foam. I predrilled holes in the pan and used 1/8th" pop rivets to snug it down.

Whew! if  you have any questions I can elaborate further.

BTW that is some of the northwest's finest 1x2 pine. Looks great alothough it makes the ride a bit wooden  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 19:38:33 by doc_rot »
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2014, 16:46:26 »
here is a close up of the one stitch zig zag (aka firestone stitch)

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 16:58:12 by doc_rot »
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #58 on: Dec 17, 2014, 18:54:35 »
Very nice
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #59 on: Dec 19, 2014, 19:34:23 »
I have been real busy.  I  finalized my headlight ears. I decided not to go with the small 4.5" headlight. it just looked weird with the big gauges. I got this nice 7" headlight and promptly started cutting it up  ::) I didn't like the mounting points so Eric welded some washers in  with silicon bronze.  I cleaned up the seams with some filler and am much happier with it now. I spent about 3 hours filing and sanding down the headlight ears to get them where they are. I also turned a some washers for the turn signal mount. I need to figure out how i want to route the wire from the turn signal now. I think i'm going to go into the headlight bucket with it. Im very happy with how the headlight/gauge cluster is turning out. Its such a great feeling to have an idea in your head finally come to fruition after a couple years.

I also refitted the frame rails 1/8" in on each side. was real easy. seat fits great now. I also did a down and dirty rattle can job on the frame to see what it would look like white before i commit to some good paint. I wasn't sure about the white frame i thought it might be too garish for my taste, but it highlights all of the frame mods we have done, and really pops. I think i will go with white for the final paint on the frame.  I also mocked everything up to see what other frame mods will be necessary before i do the final paint on the frame. I still need to do something about and exhaust hanger, horn mount, mount for HID ballast, and carb support.  Super stoked with the way it is looking.  8) 8) 8)

'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project