www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: '53 Triumph 5T... after 40+ years of sitting?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline ManxieRacer

• RSK Photography
Re: '53 Triumph 5T... after 40+ years of sitting?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2014, 22:00:34 »
Following along too, and I must say you really do look like a proud mother fucker in that first pic, and rightly so!

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2014, 20:36:08 »
went up to the shop today to do some work... blasted and painted the triple trees, tank mount, etc.

blasted the head some more too (took hours) then cleaned it up and painted it...head and jug will both be the cast iron colour

yum..

Then I took my perfectly good Sully's seat, drilled the rivets out and stripped it down to pan... seat foam was too thick and i didn't like how it was bent... So it's going to have a steeper kick and narrower at the front. I'm also going to try to fab up a leaf spring for a cleaner look. Pics of that to follow later this week

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2014, 21:23:56 »
Ok, so I attempted a leaf spring seat today...

Here's what I started with.. 2" flat bar, trailer leaf spring, and the shell of a Sully's seat.

Drew some lines...

Did some men's knitting to attach the tabs to the flat bar (since I can't weld spring steel) and offset the tabs - not fully shaped yet, just roughed in, I finished with metal files and did not take any photos

Going to shorten it obviously, but it looks like it might work...

I may also look for a 3" leaf so I can chop it and use the shackle as a mount opposed to running steel and spring steel...

Thoughts?

To adjust for height and what not, the hole you see in the last photo will have a bolt out of the bottom that I can rest on the frame to adjust height and give it something to spring against...
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014, 21:25:34 by Chris »

Online Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2014, 21:31:45 »
Awesome start!  I'm also in Toronto - can't wait to see this thing on the road hopefully soon!
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline woodsv

« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2014, 11:23:57 »
I like the way the hard tail bolts on to the frame. Just wondering why you changed it. For more stretch or was the old one rusted out? The rebuild is looking awesome! Good luck.

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2014, 14:19:27 »
luv the hardtail!

Offline Chris

« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2014, 20:18:06 »
I like the way the hard tail bolts on to the frame. Just wondering why you changed it. For more stretch or was the old one rusted out? The rebuild is looking awesome! Good luck.

It bolts to the frame the same way the factory rigid does. The factory piece had been repaired at one point by the po, whoever that was, and it was slightly tweaked. I also wanted more stretch and drop. This completely transforms it.

Offline Chris

« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2014, 00:10:01 »
Didn't like how the seat bracket was mounted only to the lug and some weld... So my next design has no welding and some thicker brackets. The majority of the load will go to the sidecar mounting spot (obviously not in use) with the seat lug being retained so it doesn't twist, then a hole behind it for the eye of the leaf spring...

Oh and I picked this up....

Wasn't in the best of shape aesthetically so I masked it off and blasted it.

Fresh out of the oven with the head on it

Then we fiddled around for a while with the con rods and crank. For some reason, at some point, someone had put copper shims in between the bearing cap and the con rod. So we did some measuring with the micrometer and it looked like we had lots of clearance.. Put con rod on the crank and one side was fine, the other side was tighter than a nun's bum.

Turns out that when whoever put it together before us got the bearing caps and con rods all mixed up. We turned the con rods 180 and one bearing cap had to be swapped to the opposite configuration than they had before. Doing this both con rods moved freely without the shims...

After all that I started to clean them up... Here's one done. They'll get new bushes and nuts too once we assemble.

Offline Chris

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 08:27:04 »
Got my hardware ready for plating and also painted the first colour on my tank... have yet to cut or buff..

Big parts order comes in, then I start to assemble.

Offline Worst cb650 ever

• You can always get it running with time or money.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:10 »
Awesome, I'm in!
DTT Blue (cause Winter is Coming) CB360 Club.

1995 CBR900RR - a winter flip not worth a DTT writeup - Sold

1986 Yamaha SRX600 - mailed to me from California - build coming soon?

1983 VF750F

1976 CB360T

1993 CBR900RR - Sold

1979 CB650 - Sold