www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: TX500 build  (Read 127440 times)

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
Re: TX500 build
« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2008, 13:15:21 »
man it all depends on the condition of the tank... yep the appliance paint will be much stronger to gas! it has a chemical treatment in it for cleaning products... if your tank is true and you are not going to bondo it... DO NOT PRIME IT!!! just sand down with 400 grit, rub it down with rubbing achole, hit it with a tack cloth... and shoot away... remember you have 1/2 hour to work this paint then you have to wait a week! light coats... i do light coat...wait 5 light coat... wait 5... etc... it is a very thick paint so it will build up on the spray button nozel thing... you want to make sure that you are not holding the can over the tank (or what ever you are shooting) cause it will drip after a while of spraying off the nozel... hold the can so that if it does drip it will not hit your item... light coats... if you do mess up you are going to have to wait a week to do it again... if you try to fix or add another layer in that time it will just peel the whole paint job up like crazy!

I am not a big fan of the chrome either but with as polished up as the forks came i could not resist! if you have any ?s just let me know!
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2008, 16:50:40 »
Wheel came out really nice JRK, I like the look. That must have been a nightmare to tape up! Well worth it though.
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline kneedragger

« Reply #42 on: Nov 06, 2008, 18:55:08 »
Thanks JRK; I really appreciate the detailed advice on how to work with the Rustoleum paint. I'll avoid dripping paint onto the tank, and I'll spray the light coats as you've recommended. I have a few tanks to work on; some will need Bondo and primer, while others won't, so this will be a bit of a crapshoot. I've worked with spray bombs often enough to fully understand and appreciate your remarks about avoiding primer whenever possible. Let's face it, appliance paint must be used to cover existing paint; that would explain the heavy buildup on the spray nozzle, and why it takes so long to dry, so I think it will be EXACTLY what I want for my tank projects.

I've used vinyl dye to spray computer monitor cases (yep, I'm one of those really pathetic amateur box modders), and the stuff is so thin that it runs pretty easily. The only way to avoid problems is to spray several light coats, allowing five minutes between coats for the aromatics to flash off before spraying the next coat, so I don't expect any real problems working with the epoxy paint, now that you've explained the special pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks again; can't wait to see how the other wheel turns out...

Offline TJEvans

« Reply #43 on: Nov 06, 2008, 20:40:40 »
With the appliance paint....do you sand after waiting a week and before applying the successive coats?

In other words, is it sand, light coat, wait week, sand, light coat, wait week, sand, light coat...etc?

or just sand, light coat, wait week, light coat, wait week?

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #44 on: Nov 06, 2008, 20:48:41 »
nope the epoxy paint is so thick you only need 1 coat... if you want to add another coat you will have to wait a week... other than that if you get good coverage you will have nothing to worry about... at all, you honestly do nto have to clear it either... but if you do yes you will have to wait a week before recoating after wet sanding out any inperfections... GREAT PAINT!!! best in a can!
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Putting boot to ass since 1967!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 06, 2008, 21:08:05 »
So I'm on rustoleum's website trying ot find the appliance epoxy and am having no luck......
Any hints? does it have a specific brand?
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Weiner tetanus is nothing to scoff at. ~JustinLonghorn

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #46 on: Nov 06, 2008, 21:16:42 »
looks like this comes in silver, white, cream, and black... all of which i have at least 6 cans in my garage!
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #47 on: Nov 06, 2008, 21:20:35 »
Perfect! How's it adhere to aluminum? I've had troubles with other rat-can paint flaking off way too easily.
Prep?
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #48 on: Nov 06, 2008, 21:22:33 »
sand... 400 grit, alchohle rub down, spray... thats all... holds up great and will hold very well... but ensure that you use VERY VERY light coats... if not you will get like these little water marks as it starts to set... for real just get a dusting on there wait 5 min, dust it again, wait 5 min... then start laying it on thicker... will be just fine brother
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #49 on: Nov 06, 2008, 21:46:27 »
Thanks amigo!