Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

archerace said:
Noddy, will you share your bluing, browning, and painting process?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I have no idea how these process are employed either. I’d be very interested to learn about it - it certainly looks terrific.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

archerace said:
Noddy, will you share your bluing, browning, and painting process?

Fer sure... It's actually pretty simple, just a bit time-consuming (on the frame especially because you've got to do it a section at a time):

1. Wire wheel all the steel to get a bit of a textured finish.
2. Acetone clean up.
3. Heat the steel with a MAPP torch, apply Mark Lees Express Brown #2 (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/express-brown-2-prod41671.aspx) - it'll be a bit patchy but that's cool because it'll give the blue somewhere to go.
4. Wipe off with hot water after about 30 seconds.
5. Clean excess with steel wool.
6. Acetone clean up.
7. Apply Perma Blue (https://birchwoodcasey.com/content/perma-blue®-liquid-gun-blueing-3-oz-32-oz) - no heat needed.
8. Wipe off with hot water after about 30 seconds, steel wool, acetone and repeat steps 7 and 8 again if needed.
9. Several coats of Penetrol (http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/paint_additives/penetrol.php) for sealing and rust protection.
10. Several coats of marine grade oil-based satin polyurethane top coat.
11. Cross your fingers and hope it all turns out well.
12. If you're like me, hate the final colour mix, strip it all off and do it all again... ;)

No guarantees about the longevity of the finish, it's a bit trial and error, but we'll see how it holds up!

Noddy, after all the work it might have been prudent to do a 2K satin over the top to make it really durable etc. But no matter what it looks great!

Yeah, unfortunately you can't 2K over Penetrol, so it's all a bit of a compromise. From what I've read Penetrol is about as good on bare metal as anything, so I'm hoping that'll do the heavy lifting, and the satin is for the finished effect and some protection. Given the timber and everything else on the bike, I think it's really only a fair-weather rider anyway, and it'll mostly be stored under cover. So the theory is marine varnish should hold up pretty well under those circumstances. Theory is all well and good though... we'll just have to see how it performs. If it's no good, I guess I'm pulling the bike apart again...

I know I've been saying this for a while, but "nearly there"...

_MG_7612.jpg

Yeah, me too! I'm hoping I'll get the wiring finalised in the next week or so... then it's time to try and kick it over!

Thanks folks, awfully kind of you! Not sure it'll be to everyone's tastes though... I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it anymore...

But, final wiring is almost done... and we have lights (again)! Hopefully this week it's getting it all into the battery box and hooked up to the m-unit and we (should) be away! Also been playing with tarnishing all the brass and copper bits as it was kind of looking like a Christmas tree with them all shiny...

_MG_7837.jpg

_MG_7791.jpg

_MG_7815.jpg

_MG_7851.jpg

Ok. I have to ask, how the heck have you paid attention to so many details and missed rebuilding the carbs?

Or was this a accident as a result of your tarnishing things?

Sent from my iPhone using a facsimile machine.

Haha! Nah, I rebuilt the carbs a while ago but obviously it was cracked and I missed it. Started to screw in a new main jet and it cracked right through.

Back
Top Bottom