www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Honda XL250 Motorsport 72 cafe brat  (Read 22383 times)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Re: Honda XL250 Motorsport 72 cafe brat
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2014, 07:28:15 »
Don't mind Xb, just think of him as the cranky uncle that has seen all this before and is sick of explaining it. Actually that goes for nearly everyone on here.

Just raise them back up to stock height and lower them internally if you want the front lower.
Another thing to consider might be an inch smaller front rim. That way you can have the height you want and keep the shock travel needed. It will still effect handling, just not as bad as next to no shock travel and smashing your front tyre into the lower tripple.

As for powdercoating, try an industrial place rather than a customs place. Just get them to throw it in with their next load of black and it will be a hell of a lot cheaper. My rims and forks were done with a lot of pool fencing.
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline Sheepinwolfs

• Honda XL250 Motorsport cafe brat
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2014, 08:05:11 »
Thanks Brodie,  I lowered them internally to get the rake that I was after but I think the picture is a little deceiving as I don't plan on running any drop in the triples.  I didn't like the idea of running a bike that was enduro designed, about 28-9 degree rake, on a pure road based bike.  My gt1000 runs about 24 degrees which is tight but is compensated by a decent trail.  I plan on setting this bike up similarly but with a slightly more relaxed rake of around 25-6 degrees with a similar trail to the duke.  The best part is that it is so easy to trial and adjust.  I appreciate that some of these guys have done a lot of this stuff before but they should maybe take the time to see the knowledge base of the people they are abusing before they shoot.  I like the idea of going to a more industrial powder coater. I hadn't even thought along those lines, thanks. 
Do it again

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:04:59 »
I have a local guy, maybe you do to, that charges by the oven load.  So no matter what amount of stuff you powder coat, the price is the same.  If you plan on coating more parts, then at least you can draw value by getting a larger amount of parts coated. 

As far as comments, they are all over the place here.  Just consider that the XL250 is considered by many to be the best of it's kind.  To alter the geometry of that bike is going to draw criticism, before you even get into guts of the build. 

Offline Sheepinwolfs

« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2014, 18:33:04 »
Thanks Deviant,  little bits of gold like that are why I joined the forum.  As Brodie let me know yesterday, it seems the industrial guys are better for pricing and bulk loading like you said would be a better option as well.  As far as comments go, I've had my retort and understand everyone has their opinion. I'm over it. Cheers for the advice.
Do it again

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2014, 18:43:53 »
Thanks Deviant,  little bits of gold like that are why I joined the forum.  As Brodie let me know yesterday, it seems the industrial guys are better for pricing and bulk loading like you said would be a better option as well.  As far as comments go, I've had my retort and understand everyone has their opinion. I'm over it. Cheers for the advice.
I wasn't giving opinion

Offline Sheepinwolfs

« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2014, 19:20:10 »
I wasn't giving opinion

Bah Humbug!  Just relax mate. Hahaha
Do it again

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2014, 19:24:24 »
Bah Humbug!  Just relax mate. Hahaha
:D

Offline Sheepinwolfs

« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2014, 20:15:58 »
So! I had an old friend over last week and he had some interesting input to the build.  He has made me rethink the styling of the bike and put forward some valid reasons to do so.  Namely, staying true to the style of bike this is.  "Why would you want to make it look like a cafe racer when it's an enduro bike, why not more like a tracker?"  I argued with him a bit, as I do.  But in the long run it got me thinking. I do like the brat tracker look........oh crap!  Directions....change.  And xb33bsa. I might just raise those forks.....a little bit.  New ideas:
Do it again

Offline v30magna

« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2014, 13:51:25 »
Brat tracker is less of a stretch, but either way it's your bike.  If you wanna hang 5 wheels off the damn thing, it's really no one elses business.  I'm sure "xb33bsa" has some very comfortable, safe, well built bikes, but I'm also sure they will all fall short of interesting original aestetic design.  If it excites you, go for it.  Pretty isn't always safe.

Tracker inspiration:
'84 V30 Magna (400lbs/70hp)
'74 XL100
'72 SL350 motorsport
'74 XL350 project
'66 CB77 SuperHawk project
'65 Dream Survivor "Stella"
'65 s65
'72 CL70 project
'76 XL70 project
'72 CL100/XR200r Project
'87 250x/350x Race Quad
'85 ATC250sx Mud Trike
'93 Yamaha V-Max project

Offline Sheepinwolfs

« Reply #29 on: Aug 08, 2014, 01:58:57 »
If it excites you, go for it.  Pretty isn't always safe.

Tracker inspiration:

Thanks man. I agree. My mind is ticking over...........all be it slowly.
Do it again