www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Another one of them Viragos  (Read 8948 times)

Offline wynand2000

Re: Another one of them Viragos
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2014, 15:26:28 »
Do not worry about the frame which you cut out, NO problem at all, look up the German(also in english) site www.TR1.de and you will see that there are dozens of racing XV1000/TR1/XV920 which have a frame like you did.

Experience is the best whitness in these cases ;)

Hope you will get on with this beauty 8)

Offline rundown

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2014, 11:06:22 »
How is this build coming along, it has been since May that the builder posted.  I hope thate have been no insurmountable problems?

I agree that the Koch bikes (and others) have proven the validity of leaving the frame open at the rear.  How are you going to mount the rear-sets?

Offline claytonisbob

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2014, 23:02:49 »
Sorry for not updating. I have made some progress, but it's been slow going because of some other projects that fell in my lap (5.3 LS engine swap into my 71 GMC, Spec Miata build).

I have got the front brakes plumbed with the Brembo master, braided line, R6 caliper. I've been working on turning a rear sprocket spacer, it's a big chunk of aluminum so it's taken some time (started with a 6" x 1" billet). Also got my electronics and controls on the bike but not wired. Most comes from late model R6 stuff.

The rearsets are the big unknown as far as how I want to build them. I have my Tarozzi pegs ready and waiting, just can't think of the best way to hang them. Probably use some small diameter tubing or steel rod in an "A" shape. The stock brackets were pretty ugly and xv750 brackets don't fit on chain drive bikes (or at least not easily.. I do like how those look and actually bought some thinking I could make them work).

Once I get the rearsets done and weld in the air filter mount (will be up by the coil packs) I'll pull the engine off the frame, final weld the frame and get it (and a bunch of other stuff) powder coated. I'd probably also like to figure out a steering damper, probably a gsxr unit. Also need to do some sheet metal work to the tank to fill in the gap next to the steering head between the frame and tank and weld the bung for the harley flush gas cap.
1986 Honda VF500F (sold)
1997 Ducati 748
1992 Suzuki 750/B12
1981 Yamaha XV920R Build!

Offline claytonisbob

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2014, 13:29:04 »
So what do you guys think; should I go with a low slung exhaust that kicks up under the rearsets or with a tracker style high exhaust? I think a high exhaust would look awesome but I worry about it being hot on the legs, I've never ridden anything like that before.

I'm about to start working on the pipes this weekend, I got a bunch of stainless tubing and bends with a cone engineering muffler in the mail this week.
1986 Honda VF500F (sold)
1997 Ducati 748
1992 Suzuki 750/B12

Offline wynand2000

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2014, 15:09:57 »
If I were you......tracker style, the always heavy looking engine looks a bit lighter then..

Offline rundown

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2014, 19:58:00 »
I believe either high or lw could look good.  Personally I would follow the lead of the real racers on the Koch web site.  Although they are after performance not appearance, they still look "right".

Offline claytonisbob

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2014, 20:12:58 »
Oh yeah, I owe a large amount of my ideas to Sepp's website. I know a lot of his are either a higher mount exhaust or high duals.

If I did a high exhaust it'd be a combination of something like this (from tr1.de):

And this(from Down and Out Cafe Racers):
1986 Honda VF500F (sold)
1997 Ducati 748
1992 Suzuki 750/B12

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2014, 13:18:11 »
great build........i'm in.....

Offline rundown

« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2014, 23:57:19 »
Both of the above high pipe solutions are excellent, look to be nearly eaqual length.  The one problem with them is that they will get hot, a shield like dirt bikes have or the insulted wraps might do the trick.  Not much of a problem for a racer who will be covered head to foot, but if you want to risk riding in shorts that could get down right toasty.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:25:39 »
Both of the above high pipe solutions are excellent, look to be nearly eaqual length.  The one problem with them is that they will get hot, a shield like dirt bikes have or the insulted wraps might do the trick.  Not much of a problem for a racer who will be covered head to foot, but if you want to risk riding in shorts that could get down right toasty.

Wraps [ laundry ] get pretty hot too - and if they get wet, they are actually worse ! And they look like shit.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"