www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Another one of them Viragos  (Read 8934 times)

Offline claytonisbob

Another one of them Viragos
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:52:13 »
So I I figured it was time for me to start a build thread. Virago's being all the craze these days I couldn't help but try my hand at one when I found a nice deal on a '81 XV920R chain drive. Might as well be taken from different pages of the same cookbook I know (Benelli tank, motolana seat, spoke wheels).

The fun part is the R6 forks with spoke wheels, r1 rear shock. At some point I plan on getting some sumo rims to lace to my hubs, but the wheels I got fit the tires already on it so for now I'm sticking with them.

The day I got her. Bought it from the coolest old dude that lived out in the boonies. Of course it was labeled "Beast"...

My now ever growing collection...

Started to strip the her down.

Got a pair of stem bearings from AllBalls and pressed out the stem from my 07 R6 forks I scored cheap on craigslist, turned it down 1mm, and stuck them on.

For wheels I bought a set off a TX500 which the front hub is as far as I can tell the same as a xs650 (for a heck of a lot less money on ebay). I'm going with a single floating disk off a Ducati 748S. The center bore and bolt holes are perfect (idk why), but the rotor spacing is completely wrong so I turned a hubcentric spacer:

Also turned a couple bearing spacers to align the wheel in the forks.

Started mocking up the rear R1 shock (which should be about right on the spring rate). Also threw the Benelli tank on there for good measure. Caliper is off a GSXR. I'll probably put a R6 caliper on it at some point, but I'll have to make some spacers to get one to fit. Since the r6 has 310mm rotors, the gsxr has 320 (like the Ducati) and the calipers otherwise bolt into place. I have r6 calipers on my gsxr forks on another bike, but it took some spacers to make it work. Yes I know the caliper is for the wrong side, just mocking it up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:19:44 by claytonisbob »
1986 Honda VF500F (sold)
1997 Ducati 748
1992 Suzuki 750/B12
1981 Yamaha XV920R Build!

Offline claytonisbob

Re: Another one of them Viragos
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:08:02 »
And a crappy seat mockup.

Got the front tire swapped from the swirly mag onto the spoke wheel.

mocking up the rear wheel

How I'm mounting the shock. I'm going to gusset this more, but for now I just have the mount tacked into place.

Finally got her sitting on her own suspension

Once I had the bike sitting at the stance I wanted, I could plan my tank and seat angles.

Front tank mount was easy. I actually have it mounted with 2 more gussets to the rear not pictured. It's probably overkill, but it's solid.

Subframe started to get the seat on it. I need to take some more pictures of the subframe, but you get the idea. I also chopped the frame. The rear of the tank is sitting lower than it will since I don't have the rear tank mount completely done.

So the next plans are:
Mount Ballistic battery under the seat
Finish welding the frame up. Also planning on chopping off the center stand and mounts to clean up the clutter underneath.
build some rearsets
lathe a rear sprocket spacer since the alignment isn't where I want it.
come up with a 2 into 1 stainless exhaust
weld in a harley style gas cap bung to mount a flush gas cap as well as some other sheet metal mods to the tank to make it fit the bike a little better. I've been contemplating changing the tunnel of the tank to give it more fuel capacity.
headlight
wiring
Brakes. I ordered a Brembo brake master off of a KTM dirtbike that is a 11mm bore that should be just about right with the single R6 caliper.

Tons of paint/powder and finishing work
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:15:49 by claytonisbob »
1986 Honda VF500F (sold)
1997 Ducati 748
1992 Suzuki 750/B12

Offline cosworth

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:33:21 »
Fuck yes.
1981 SR250 café hot rod (sold)
1976 XS360 collector plates
1980 XS400 (on the bench)
1981 XS400 (in pieces)
2017 Husqvarna 701 enduro
Livin' the dream in western Canuckistan

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:43:48 »
Nice job ...................... that's how many TR1 / Viragos on here now ??????????????  ;D :D
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline bananas

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:24:36 »
Gorgeous! Sub'd
'79 Honda CB750 L Monoshock Build
'07 Ducati SportClassic SE
'72 Yamaha GT80

Offline BigBSBusa

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:10:16 »
That's a great start!
BigBS

1974 Honda CB550
1977 Yamaha XS750 - Project Maggie Mae
1994 Kawasaki Ninja ZX11 - Project Raven
1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Project Sable

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:23 »
 what wiil you use to replace the frame you cut out ?

Offline claytonisbob

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:36 »
Yeah, there has to be at least a dozen I've seen (didn't know this when I got the thing). But then again how many CB's are there lol.

I'm not planning to tie the frame together, I'm chopping the frame similarly to how Sepp Koch has been doing it for a few years. Some people have arguments both ways on weather that's a wise decision but the damage is done and I like the look. if it proves to be unstable I'll tie it back together somehow.

One challenge with that is running wiring from the starter and crankcase up to the under-seat area.

The air filter I plan on running in front of the tank on the left side. I'll try to take some pictures of where I mean. I don't want to run single pods on the carbs since it's so hard to tune these things in the first place. Running a HD cv carb would be cool, but I've heard it suffers on the top end. Wonder if anyone's used something like SV650 carbs.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:35:34 by claytonisbob »
1986 Honda VF500F (sold)
1997 Ducati 748
1992 Suzuki 750/B12

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 15:42:11 »
 it is a great looking bike
what you are doing is putting 100% of all the suspension loading, front and rear , thru the engine castings
they were never designed for anywhere near all those loads a certain % yes but not 100%
 it all depends I am sure on whether you ride hard and put on a lot of miles
it will definitely flex more which usually adversely effects handling
if you do a lot of miles and on rougher roads eventually it mayfail in an ugly manner
think about twisting a piece of steel bailing wire until it breaks takes quite a while
 well aluminum castings are  way way worse in huge way when it comes to that type of failure from flexing
in the meantime be prepared for oil/head gasket leaks as the constantly varying loads will be shifting the engine at its joints
good luck
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 15:57:45 by xb33bsa »

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 16:38:59 »
I like where this is heading.