1977 XS500 Project. Will move under it's own power one of these days!

Darmstro

Been Around the Block
I've been slowly working on this bike for the past ~3 months. It's my first project bike so progress is slow as I'm learning as I go.

I'll start from the VERY beginning. Here's the bike in its previous owner's garage. I snagged both of those bike for $400
aa82_20.jpg

Got'er to my place and in its new home till spring
Picture004-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Started removing parts...
Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Re: 1977 XS500 Project- My First Cafe Build

Parts, parts, and more parts. My corner of the garage.
Picture023.jpg

Vroom^2
Picture002-4.jpg

Spare tank, RIP
Picture001-3.jpg

Stripped the tank and started polishing it.
Picture001-5.jpg

Got the tank almost done and cut the spare tank for the seat
Picture008-3.jpg

It was gonna end up sitting a little high so I cut it down after I stripped it. Got started on the seat pan and cut a little more of the seat to shorten it and make it more even with the tank.
Picturewww.jpg

Got the seat where I want it, set on the seat pan, and put the side covers in place to get a rough idea of what she's gonna look like.
Picturewww001.jpg

I still need to brace the seat pan as the metal is flimsy. I'll probably just use that one as a template and redo it on some heavier guage steel.

That's my step-dad's Hardley in the background. <whispers>midlife crisis</whispers>

I'll be interested in how your build goes as I am doing an XS750 right now.

ha ha ha man that is SICK! great work... i got a XT500 going right now... love the tank shape that 77' has! man very cool bike, love the mags!!! you got a ton of parts there if there is anything that you are not going to use man let me get some dibbs on some of that :) ha ha ha

Work on the bike has been slow/not happening. I did, however, get my first shipment of parts from MikesXS. Carbs should work like new once they're rebuilt, seeing as how every little screw on them will be replaced. Still need to order floats as they weren't in stock when I placed this order.

Mini-Christmas
Picturewww.jpg

Are you keeping the tank polished? It looks fo-shizzle....(which I'm told means good).

I'm torn on the tank. I like it, but I think it'd be a pain to keep shiny all the time. I also want my tank to match my seat so I'd have to polish that as well. I have a lot of hours into the tank and there's still some imperfection in the steel that I can't seem to get out. Everyone who's seen it in person or on the net says to keep it polished.

man just powder the tank clear... it looks awesome!!! Do you by chance have a wire diagram for the XS500? i need to rewire my TX500 and they are basicly the same

Download this supplementary manual. It has the wiring diagram and a bunch of helpful stuff like torque specs and such.

ftp://manuals.homeftp.net/Manuals/Yamaha/Yamaha%20XS500/Yamaha%20XS500C%20Supplementary%20Service%20Manual(GREAT).pdf

Right click, save as.

No prob man. Credit goes to Noel though. I found it in a link he posted in the manuals section.

I dislike cold, especially working in it, so I've accomplished...nothing on my build. I did however accumulate some goodies, thanks to XS650direct.ca (Mike's XS Canadian warehouse, it's so close I got my parts the next day and shipping is free on orders over $50)

Added Dual progressive shocks, clip-ons, a slimline front master/brake lever, petcock rebuild kit, swingarm tube, bronze swingarm bushings, grease seals, carb floats, fork seals, and a few other random clips and seals to the stockpile.

Picture011-1.jpg

Cool little unit
Picture-4.jpg

Got my forks cleaned up a bit, ready for rebuild and polish
Picture001-6.jpg

I know, that's what's so frustrating! I could start my mock up with all the new parts, but I can't stand to bare the -18*C temperature in the garage. The first "warmer" day we have I'll be out there getting shit done, but for now I'm just gonna keep stockpiling parts. Still need calipers, stainless brake lines, bar switches, seat base/pan cut and welded, wheel bearings, carbs put together, chain, engine parts detailed (paint, powder, or polish), wiring harness modified for the relocated battery and electricals....I was originally going to just slap everything together with as many original parts as possible, but I decided since it was down to the frame, I might as well go all out on it.

Decided on a copper powder coat for the frame and wheels, everything elses will be black or polished.

My temps aren't nearly as bad as yours, but I've been doing all the same stuff since I can do most of it inside. Gonna try and get out in the garage this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

really look at the coppers man, most of them that i have used look nothing like copper more like a bad yellow... i have tried about 6 kinds so far from 4 diff companies... however! if you do the copper, use a candy copper... looks insane, is alot more work cause you first have to slightly polish the metal, then lay a stage1 chrome powder, (let that cool do not hot flock your next layer, you want to see how thick your coat is so that you can get a clean level application)then lay your candy copper, then lay a ultra clear over the top... but the results are insane! Granted if you are not doing it yourself it is really going to $$$ the price cause 3x's the work is required... but i think it would be insane
copper04.jpg

I won't be doing it myself, but I'll definately take that into consideration when I talk to the PC'er. Is that your work? Looks fucking awesome.

not mine... i have done the same though, they are just all on my home PC... make sure they know what they are doing, candies are a pain to work with but have great results! u use them alot... it is all about the clear to keep the finish, and a unltra or poly clear is the best

Back
Top Bottom