www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)  (Read 27439 times)

Offline luke000

Re: 1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2014, 22:22:02 »
Picked up my 200 rivets from Jay-Cee sales (rivetsonline) from their warehouse, all I can say is that is A LOT of rivets in one place! quick and easy to deal with, would definitely recommend them to someone needing more than a few rivets of any sort.

Today I rolled the boat out into the driveway and started drilling and hammering away at old rivets that needed to come out for one reason or another, a few were stating to rot away and could have started to cause leaks or corrosion to the surrounding metal, some were holding pieces like the port holes, windsheild bracket, drain, and transom board in so those all needed to some out, some had come out and the PO had replaced them with bolts, nuts and silicone :P- those came out too and will be set for replacing.  All in all, 120 were drilled out today and I am sick of drilling!  A fair ammount of the rivets were on the underside of the boat so I needed to get the boat in the air and my cherry picker came to the rescue. 

The transom came out easilly, It was in suprisingly good condition and so was the aluminum it was butted up against, there was a little surface oxidation but no horrible pitting.  Does anyone know of a good way to neutralize the oxidation that is there so it will not spread once I put a new board in? 

"Anything free is worth saving up for."
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300
1974 Honda CB550--SOLD
1982 Yamaha Virago 750

'74 CB550 Cafe Build

'86 Venture Royale Rebuild "Project: Freightliner

'56 DuraTech Sealine "Project: Popcan"

'59 Lone Star El Dorado (BOAT)

Offline luke000

« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2014, 19:01:20 »
I got the transom boards glued today, I measured everything and it still looked closer to 1-3/4 but not quite. So I decided to do only 2- "3/4" pieces and see how it goes from there and I can do something to make up for a little bit of play if need be.  I used Titebond III for the glue. I used a combo of about a dozen 1-1/4 screws and whatever I could find that was heavy, including about a couple thousand rounds of ammo

Pre glue pieces:

About as exciting as watching paint dry....

1974 Honda CB550--SOLD
1982 Yamaha Virago 750

'74 CB550 Cafe Build

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2014, 00:53:36 »
Looking good man, it's cool to see this come together

Offline Toyotacrawler

• She's got the jimmy legs
« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:42:24 »
This is a pretty cool project. Trailer came out great!
1975 CB360 Build - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=60325.0
Instagram-Striple675r

"You can manufacture weapons and you can purchase ammunition,
but you can't buy valor and you can't pull heroes off an assembly line"
Sergeant John B. Ellery, U.S. 1st Infantry Division

Offline timberwolffxdl

« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2014, 13:57:58 »
Out of curiosity, where are you located?  I see you mentioning going to Detroit, and RivetsOnline out of Farmington.  I'm guessing I live an hour or two from you, depending on which direction you had to go to those places.

Offline luke000

« Reply #25 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:33:58 »
Out of curiosity, where are you located?  I see you mentioning going to Detroit, and RivetsOnline out of Farmington.  I'm guessing I live an hour or two from you, depending on which direction you had to go to those places.

Im in Grosse Pointe, not too far from you, about two hours on the nose.  I have been wanting to get down to your area to go mountain biking at Fort Custer, but I just have not had the time.  BTW, just checked out your CL360, that thing is sweet!

1974 Honda CB550--SOLD
1982 Yamaha Virago 750

'74 CB550 Cafe Build

Offline luke000

« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2014, 15:24:30 »
I got my transom all cut up and drilled today, all the screw holes from gluing have been filled with G-flex epoxy.  The hole locations had no real rhyme or reason to their locations, some were off from the other ones by an inch or more.  So I took the old transom and clamped it on the new one and used it as a drill jig.
The locations of all the holes are definitely specific to the boat you have. I would get the transom made and cut to the dimension and then mock it up in the boat to find the location of all the holes.  If your boat at one time did have a splash well, there will be two 1 inch diameter holes for a drain.

And here are some drawings I made of it, the first is the dimensions of the board and the second is approximate location and size of the holes.

1974 Honda CB550--SOLD
1982 Yamaha Virago 750

'74 CB550 Cafe Build

Offline timberwolffxdl

« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:17:11 »
Im in Grosse Pointe, not too far from you, about two hours on the nose.  I have been wanting to get down to your area to go mountain biking at Fort Custer, but I just have not had the time.  BTW, just checked out your CL360, that thing is sweet!
let me know when you do.  I haven't been out there near as much this year as I wanted since I developed this little running habit... In fact I wanted to get out biking this past weekend and just didn't work it out.  Ft Custer is a great set of trails!

Offline andycafe

• Northern Suburbs, Melbourne Victoria, Australia
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2014, 00:16:19 »
 :D

Offline hillsy

« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2014, 00:45:46 »
Great work so far - my brother in law is a big boat guy and he's rebuilding a similar sized fibreglass boat (and had to replace the transom, too).

A question about the trailer - comparing your trailer to the brochure it looks like the winch stand is reversed? Just looks a bit odd, that's all.

Keep the pics coming  ;)