Hello from Spain!

waketrip

Hello everybody!

After a couple of months lurking in the shadows of this forum, I feel like I owe you all a proper presentation. Mainly because you're the ones that convinced me to go ahead and buy an ace. Wait now, should I thank you or blame you for it? 'Cause I would've never imagined just how hooked up I would get, its like a drug! ;D ;D ;D

Anyway lets talk a bit about myself. My name is Luis, I am a 24 year old lawyer from Zaragoza, in northern Spain, Although I'm currently working in Madrid, the capital of Spain. I rode a bike (like, the kind with pedals) through College, and as soon as I landed my first job I set out to get me a motorcycle.

You see, I wanted something cheap and accesible, since although I've ridden bicycles and jet skis regularly, or probably because of it, I'm a strong believer in social darwinism, and would love to not have to be removed from a lamp post anytime soon. :D
I started looking at some 125 cc bikes that were not the usual suspects (cbr125, kawas, etc... i don't like the superbike look on a teensy tiny 125 engine) and was torn between the mash 75, the hanway raw 125, and the Skyteam Ace

160485253_1-mash-75-125-cc-nieuw-laguna-motors.jpg
hanway-raw-125-retro.jpg

I spent quite some time worrying about chinese quality, as I couldnt gather much info about the mash and the hanway. Then I found your forum, and since the ace was getting good enough reviews for its make quality, and more importantly the readily available parts and unofficial support (OOracing, I'm looking at you), and its potential (150 mods, 250 engines, all sorts of go-fast goodies) I pulled the trigger on it (and, quite frankly, THE LOOKS OF IT, OH MY GOD SHE IS A BEAUTY, it's like having your own slice of cr110/dream 50 goodness). So a thank you all is in order! ;)

On to the bike itself i was so excited when it arrived i couldnt even get a sharp shot haha:

I actually waited until I had about 750 km. on the bike till i started changing bits (during which time I had to exercise a LOT of self-control ;D) so I could appreciate better all the following changes.

Current mods are:

-Removed EGR
-Front fork spacers and oil replacement OOracing ( It works perfectly as I'm 1'87m. tall and weight a healthy 100 kilos :p)
-Blue CDI from OOracing
-Stainless steel header and muffler from OOracing (notice the trend here?)
-Re-jet kit (48 pilot, and whatever main is included in the re-jet kit, the one that still has the airbox)
-Rear Sprocket 34T

My soon to come mods, as soon as I gather all the bits to put at the same time:

- K&N performance air filter ( this model, 38mm ID, good size, I actually want something that helps performance, not some random metal mesh pod that hurts it)
-Bigger main jet 95 size, to cope with the increased air flow from the K&N filter
-NGK Iridium Spark plug model DPR8EIX-9
-Remove butterfly choke from carburettor ( I saw in the Ace resource someone did this? Crazy maybe? )
-Tune carburettor for idle mix and idle speed, it seems that when it gets warmed up, idle speed is higher than stock
-Remove rear fender, replace taillight in custom made bracket, replace turn signals (boy, they are UGLY!)

For the moment being, this is how it looks (sorry for the cluttered photo, I'm actually surprised I have almost no photos of the bike haha):

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to say hello to the community, I'll try to be as active as my job allows!

Have a nice day!

Hola Luis

Welcome to the group.

You are few steps ahead of me, I am STILL waiting for delivery.

Looks like you have the more recent style of adjustable rear shocks? Are they on your list for replacement or do they work OK for you?

Did you notice a difference when you changed to the blue CDI box or did that happen at the same time as other changes?

Cheers
Richard

Tank you both for your welcome!

2b, It seems there is some confusion about different factory modifications. As per chinese tradition, they don't point out what improvements they do on a given model, they just seem to notice any ''problems'' it may have, and proceed to usher the solution into the production line in a quiet manner.

So yes, it looks like my rear shocks are the later, non shrouded and preload adjustable shocks that newer Aces are coming out with. Contrary to what crazy and the others have said about the original shocks, these, when tuned to your weight, seem to do a decent, though not spectacular job. Mine came too soft from factory (no preload at all) , not only because I weight 100 kilos (220 pounds for those imperial types ;)), but a friend weighting around 70 kilos (150 pounds) said that too when turning and going over speed bumps.

I set mine to the 3rd preload adjustment position at the same time as I modified the preload and oil on the front forks, and I have to say I'm pleased (again, not astounded) by the results. It filters broken asphalt quite well and doesn't show a bouncy behaviour over speed bumps nor does it bottom out. Sustaining long radius, medium to high speed turns (on this bike anyway) at 60-70 km/h on broken asphalt it does not exhibit any nervous or jumpy behaviour and holds the line quite well.

So therefore, although they WILL be definitely replaced at some point down the road by some custom, gas reservoir kind of shocks, they're not on my high priority list as they're not the ''weakest link'' of this bike, so to speak.

About the CDI, I changed it at the same time I did the re-jetting of the carb. I was originally gunning for the posh CDI or black performance unit from OOracing, but they were out of stock, and also I believe they're a bit too big and over-the-top for use in a single cylinder 125cc, air-cooled engine. Anyway, my results seem to be in line with what others have posted here: no noticeable raw hp gain (the jetting did that, specially at low to med. revs where it used to stutter on acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear due to lack of torque) but a more progressive and responsive throttle operation. Also, I believe having the Iridium performance spark plug installed along with the CDI will have a more noticeable overall effect. Anyone with more experience have some insight about this?

Oh, and right after the CDI-re-jetting, the bike is now able to be kick-started. I suspect the jetting was too lean in order to pass emission tests, and that along with the EGR didn't let me start it without the starter motor. Maybe the CDI helped here too, providing a better, stronger spark. Anyway, now you kick it over a couple times in the morning and it just springs into life.

Let me see if I can upload later today a close-up pic of the shocks.

Hope it helped!

Welcome to the SkyTeam crew Luis!

I don't think you will be disappointed with the 'Ace'.

waketrip said:
… Remove butterfly choke from carburettor …

Guilty!

waketrip said:
… I believe having the Iridium performance spark plug installed along with the CDI will have a more noticeable overall effect. … Oh, and right after the CDI-re-jetting, the bike is now able to be kick-started. I suspect the jetting was too lean in order to pass emission tests, and that along with the EGR didn't let me start it without the starter motor. Maybe the CDI helped here too, providing a better, stronger spark. Anyway, now you kick it over a couple times in the morning and it just springs into life.

All these changes, plus getting the bike run-in, certainly help overall performance.

Thanks for your informative posts. I hope you have the opportunity to keep us informed about your 'Ace' experiences.

Crazy

Just added a row for you to fill in in the build spreadsheet. Just after Singapore...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1LNMJQkZqydE1YZHVpV2RoOGJQVmpkT1ZKMVozSlE#gid=0

2b said:
Just added a row for you to fill in in the build spreadsheet. Just after Singapore...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1LNMJQkZqydE1YZHVpV2RoOGJQVmpkT1ZKMVozSlE#gid=0

Definitely will do! Thank you for doing that!

Ps: Actually gonna do it right now, since I don't have anything better to do right now...antigravity battery and bar end mirrors are still on their way... :p

2b said:

Done!

By the way, the model of antigravity I bought is the Antigravity 4-Cell:

It is supposed to provide 6 amp/hour, which for the kind of use it will see here in sunny spain (no lights during the day, and I almost never go out at night, as I live in the centre of the city) should be plenty sufficient. More interestingly, it provides 120 TRUE cranking amps, according to independent reviews, which should turn over the engine on the first hit of the button, everytime (unless its -5º Celsius or something).

As for the mirrors, this are the ones I ordered, in case someone is looking for something similar:

They are 7/8'' ,CNC'ed, 3'' sized good quality mirrors that are foldable for use in the city, which is a major advantage since the Ace is so thin it can go through virtually any opening to begin with. They also come in matte black, and obnoxiously colored Red, blue, gold, green...

Since a lot of you guys hail from down under, i am curious: are you allowed to filter/lane-split in Australia? I know in the U.S.A., land of the free and 4x4 2.5 ton pickup trucks, it is banned in all States but California. Just thinking of having to stand at a stop light between two of these waiting to get rear-ended gives me the chills:
http://youtu.be/7ZeFDe44Ddo

;D ;D

stroker crazy said:
...Lane splitting was fairly common practice before becoming legal and the limitations imposed in the new law will undoubtedly be routinely ignored.

Thanks Crazy!

Well, bar end mirrors arrived today. Estimated shipping time was around 16-20th of september, which makes me quite happy :)

Quality is pretty decent, strong bolts and tight adjustments, the folding mechanism is tight, which ensures it won't accidentaly fold by wind or a slight knock, and actually has a 4 grooves/settings that click into place in a very satisfying way.

The M-Factory logo that can be seen is actually a thick sticker that can be removed if you prefer the plain all-silver look.

Now, let's see how to deal with the bar end weights in order to install them.

Installed my Napolean bar end mirrors this evening, easy, just followed the blog instructions.

They work and look so much better than the standard antenna ones.

I've had actually little spare time during this winter due to my job, but as I explained some days ago I've kept riding the Ace and modding the heck out of it. (Big Thanks to the Mediterranean winters and its sunny, middle-of-january weekends, you're the real MVP's ;D). Seeing as I have a little more time for myself during the week from now on, I'll slowly start updating the forum with all the mods I've carried out and that I've found work well with the Ace.

Just some F.A.R.K.L.E I just made for the Ace for starters... (minus the Expensive part ;) )

New Tank strap out of a leather belt I had lying around:

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom