www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1979 Honda cb650z cafe build  (Read 18112 times)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: 1979 Honda cb650z cafe build
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2015, 22:22:50 »
lace the wheel yourself. its not difficult and i find it very rewarding. tons of videos out there on how to do it.
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline kmcphee

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:41:50 »
Thanks for all the good comments guys!!!!!

The V12 is an M70. I bought the whole car (1990 750 IL) and parted it out. Engine was well maintained so I'm going to do a basic tear down and new gaskets / paint etc. There's really nothing you can do internally and stock its at 296 HP so that's enough for a 2,000 lb car. On the front of the engine I'll be just running a small alternator and oil pump....have to do a dry sump for clearance. Might gain a couple HP here. I'm going to be running both stand alone engine & tranny controllers and also 12 ITB's.

Wheel lacing: thanks for the motivation doc_rot ! I think I might give it a try. Gives me something to do while having a couple beer anyway.  Its probably the truing up part that is the hardest. Maybe I'll have the dealer do that part when they install the new rubber I just ordered.

Offline treitz

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2015, 14:18:00 »
That front end is bitchin. Love the Cogneto triple tree!

Glad you decided against that headlight. Just too big for THIS bike but could be cool on something else.

Offline kmcphee

« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2015, 13:19:17 »
soooo I'm still playing around with different lights. Had this light for another project but I don't think it goes with the overall design I'm looking for. Think I will just order in a new 7" and be done with it.

Offline kmcphee

« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2015, 13:22:42 »
Here is kinda the feel of what I'm looking at for a paint scheme. Haven't nailed down the exact colors yet but I'm not opposed to the powder blue and maybe a cream color. The number I've drawn in my seat pan will be highlighted in black with a real gold fleck inside to offset the gold color front forks.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2015, 13:24:23 by kmcphee »

Offline settintrendz

• Adam Berg
    • SettinTrendz
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2015, 14:25:40 »
Love the direction of the project ant the high quality parts you're putting together. Awesome. Cant wait to see the progress.

Offline 1sttimer

« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2015, 15:38:30 »
Dang there is some serious coin being dropped on this thing already.  Nice work!
1973 CB175
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53893.new#new

"There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but there is always enough time to do it over."

Offline kmcphee

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2015, 10:27:36 »
well I received my headlight in the mail. Bought a 7" chrome Drag Specialities. Really nice I gotta say. It has the bottom mount so I fabbed up a bracket and drilled / tapped the holes in the lower triple.

I should have my front rim back this week, dropped it off Friday for the tire install, lacing. Will be nice to get it back on the ground and check out the stance etc. The rear rim has been shipped so it will go back up on the stand to rip into the back end.

I did decide on some paint colors so paint will happen soon. I'll leave that for a little surprise for ya!! lol.......just have to finish up the fab work on the seat mounts and battery mount. I went with A Shorai lithium, thing is beautiful weighing in at only 2.3 lbs.

Oh and I did order my exhaust muffler this weekend. Its from DanMoto, stainless steel, called GP Extreme. It was only $120 bucks.  Picture is mounted on a Triumph but that is basically how I will be installing as well, high up. Still have to figure out what header to buy or maybe just fab one in stainless. 

I will post up some more picks of this stuff later tonight.

Offline kmcphee

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2015, 14:36:06 »
Got my front rim back and was able to get the bike down on the ground finally. I'm quite happy with the way it sits. Its lower in the front and when I put the new rear shocks on it should come up an inch, giving it a nice taper towards the front. The rear rim should be here any day and based on now seeing the front rim together I cant wait to get the back done. I might spend a bit of time this weekend removing the center stand and cleaning up some of the tabs etc, to be ready to mount the new exhaust.

Let me know what you think her???

Offline Ride509

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2015, 17:16:15 »
I love it, beside the fact that it's about identical to what I am currently building. Guess great minds think alike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk