Newbie building a Cafe Style Commuter

magnang

Been Around the Block
Well I am totally new with Cafe Racers or anything mechanical but here is my bike and it's story.

In the fall 2005 I went and bought myself a brand new SV650S. Not one week later I meet a girl, who soon after becomes my wife. Soon after that come baby number one... And then the house... And then baby number 2. I leave the military so I can be home or at least in the western hemisphere than 3 months out of the year... I wind up having to sell the SV and my car to keep the family afloat so to speak. I was pretty bummed about the whole thing. My new job was far and since we were sharing a car I was having to bum rides left and right to get to work.

Then along comes this beast in the local classifieds for 400$. 1971 CB175. Been sitting in a barn since the early 1990s, no title, some surface rust, seized carbs, rotted exhaust, 37 year old tires, a few electrical glitches... But hey I have a garage now and this is the cheapest complete bike I have seen in months so let's take a chance. I spend about 2 weeks cleaning it up, tracing down the faulty connections, rebuilding the carbs and installing new cheapo tires (took me a while and about 5 tubes to figure that one out!!). I left the rotting exhaust on there because I'm broke, and go up a jet size to compensate. I then have a semi presentable and functional vintage motorcycle to toy around with.

100_1451.jpg

I flipped the shifter around and rode around on the rear pegs which was actually not bad. I couldn't use the rear brake this way unless reaching my foot foward in thoses tense situations, but between engine braking and the twin leading shoes of fury I was fine for most of the time. I could tuck in and maintain 115-120KM/H on the backroads with this thing, the little engine screaming at almost 9000RPM the whole time. I had a lot of fun driving this thing around. Something about redlining every gear and pushing this thing to the edge routinely was a nice departure from riding the SV which was a bit too quiet and stable to provide rewarding feedback unless I was going way too fast.

I beat the shit out of it all summer and put about 6000KM on it commuting to work and screaming around mountain roads. It still returned ~70MPG and was rock solid, rain, shine, hail... Now I am stripping it down to the frame to get rid of the rust and will be doing this up as a mild cafe bike. I am trying to work-out some rearsets right now, I bought the pegs and brake pedal from an early(drum brake) EX500 on ebay I will try to adapt them somehow. I'll see if I can document this 15$ experiment if it works out.. It will also be getting a new exhaust, pod filters, re-jet. I love the look of clubman bars but will probably settles for something with a bit less reach foward.

This site looks great. I'm going to have lots of questions!!!!!!! Will post more pictures as things develop.

Cheers,

Guy

First Welcome, and thanks for the pictures we all love pics around here. second life it happens the good thing is you did not give up so no matter how it works out your doing your thing.
I always liked the litte cb's MBS is rebuilding a cb125 and I must say I am jelous. Me I went the way of the scooter for my small displacement fun some go dirt.

ask questions I am sure someone can help I know there are a few cb forums out there.

Cheers Mortikan

Welcome!

I agree, that's a nice lookin bike you have there. Keep enjoying it!

Well this is what the bike looks like now... I stripped it down to the bare frame and will be stripping the paint and rust. I will be putting on a fresh coat of black. While the engine is out I will be adjusting the valves. I think I will also paint my headlight bucket black.

I'm debating getting ride of the stock fork covers and instead getting aftermarket ears and rubber covers.

000_0067.jpg

hay man.
the bike looks good, are you staying with this color?
i am putting the clubmans on mine, but my friend is going to put the straight bars on. it looks good aswell and does'nt let you
lean asmuch. i have the proper stock exhaust for your bike. no rust pretty much new. if you need it. its on my post in this section.
I to need and looking for ex500 rearsets. they apparently fit rather well and work as good.
are you staying with your seat of adding a cafe seat??? either way the bike with the bars will look great.
any way bike is going to look great, keep us posted..
later.

supercafe said:
hay man.
the bike looks good, are you staying with this color?
i am putting the clubmans on mine, but my friend is going to put the straight bars on. it looks good aswell and does'nt let you
lean asmuch. i have the proper stock exhaust for your bike. no rust pretty much new. if you need it. its on my post in this section.
I to need and looking for ex500 rearsets. they apparently fit rather well and work as good.
are you staying with your seat of adding a cafe seat??? either way the bike with the bars will look great.
any way bike is going to look great, keep us posted..
later.

Thanks!

I will be keeping the stock tank, it's in great shape and I like the colour and decals. I am hoping I will figure out a way to run my pod filters behind the stock covers as well. I think I will be putting on aftermarket muffler, 19" tapered types. They should come out just behind the rearsets, give me a bit more clearance for the brake pedal, and save me some weight as well. I like the stock seat as well, the bike is pretty small as is and I really don't want to sit any lower. I put 5000KM on it last summer and it's pretty comfortable. So all in all, the only mods I really plan on doing are bars, rearsets, intake and exhaust(so obviously rejet to go along), with a few minor cosmetic things. I'm going for more of an OEM+ look. I will trim the front fender and try to replace some of the chrome/blue for black for a slightly meaner look, so the fork covers, headlight buckets and brake/clutch handles.

I got my EX500 brake pedal on ebay for pretty cheap. I'll post a pic of it when I get the chance.

Nice paintjob on your btw!

thank man.
i like what your thinking, to keep it stock but on the edge of change. and i like the color as is aswell.
i have used the same exhuast idea, mine slopes up just abit, looks good.
ya they are comfertable, as is. i bought mine in oct, at 5000miles and stopped riding in the end of nov. and now it reads 6100miles.
i was also thinking of cutting my fender to get the meaner look. not sure.
ya keep me up dated on your build, like to see what it turns out like.
later.

I gotta say that you've stumbled on a gem! I vote for the stock paint scheme. that beautiful blue and white was always a fave of mine. If you add a cafe seat and tail, all you would have to do is color match. Bar end mirrors, a seat and a straight bar or clubmans and you're pretty much there.

loudest143

loudest143 said:
I gotta say that you've stumbled on a gem! I vote for the stock paint scheme. that beautiful blue and white was always a fave of mine. If you add a cafe seat and tail, all you would have to do is color match. Bar end mirrors, a seat and a straight bar or clubmans and you're pretty much there.

loudest143

Thanks, that's pretty much my plan, I will also be adding rearsets, but keeping the stock seat (i like it). I may or may not do electronic ignition as well.

Just finished a week of part time sanding / scrubber / priming / painting and my frame is finally done! Now the build begins

I've gone from this:

000_0056.jpg

To this

000_0084.jpg

000_0083.jpg

I used rust remover with steel wool to get most of the big stuff off, then sanded with coarse grit, 220 grit, washed it with rust converter to get any last trace of rust out, 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of black emanel, and 2 coast of emanel clearcoat. Hopefully this hold up for a few summers!

zerochrome said:
What happened with this one? Bike is similar to mine and I'm curious about how she turned out.

I flipped it for 1200 after riding for 2 summers and 4000 miles, to finance my next bike (XS650). Finished the build with clubman bars / smaller signals / emgo shortie mufflers / a couple of flat black parts. Bike was fairly stock otherwise

000_0089.jpg

000_0086.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions about the 175, I've run into a few weird issues, and there isn't that much info out there

Cheers,

Guy

Back
Top Bottom