82 KZ1000 cafe/brat Project

zachsav

I recently picked up a kz1000 project bike and I figured what better way to keep me on track and keep me motivated, than to start a build thread. I've been a long time creeper, but obviously a new poster.

Enough about me, onto the bike.

I picked up this kz1000 a few weeks ago with hopes of building a bike that completely describes me. It's a 1982 with 6k original miles on it. It has a few simple issues that needed to be addressed, but I scored it cheap so I can't complain. The fork seals were shot and leaking, the rear brake was sticking and completely useless, and the engine was running a bit rich and rough. After getting it home and letting it sit for awhile, I realized it also have a very hard start condition. Replaced the starter clutch assembly and it helps but still is a pain to get fired, so a car rebuild will be added to the list as it's the only thing left in the list of this to address.

I started pulling the bike apart already to get it ready to a little tab cutting and paint work.

Day I brought it home.
9b691444c3659304626725c61e864bfc.jpg

Started pulling stuff off to inspect the electrical components.
2507979c7c58745e90e529b551e21a0f.jpg

And how it sits now while I prep the tank for paint and am getting ready to pull the front off for the new seals.
e4ca672c525ce3cef4d9398026d8bbc4.jpg

My plans are simple.

Paint frame, engine, and misc components black.
New bars
Brown grips
Brown leather seat
White tank and front fender
Delete rear fender relocate tail light
New gauges
Small performance things.

And that's pretty much it.

I've been wanting a white bike for a long time, but jrbrownie00's bike gives me a great idea of what I want mine to look like with a few different things done to mine.

Props to him for building pretty much what I want.

d71aeeef6af3173746a8e4bd53a63fec.jpg

Threw some white plastidip on the fender to get an idea of what it will look like and started to prep the tank. They will both be sprayed with real paint after I strip the bike down, I just wanted a visual for now that's easy to remove.

330767995f06c06aec3d83d49d103475.jpg

5a15a37b5ecf02e9d52300f211fea024.jpg

Nice project! I think the 82 came with BS32 carbs which are CV carbs. Many people have reported issues with tuning these carbs with pods, particularly with the idle circuit. Those Emgo pods flow worse than an airbox with a stock filter. If you have trouble getting the bike to acceptable level of tune you may want to try and find a airbox or locate other carbs and some good filters. If you haven't already, head over to KZrider.com for tons of technical info on these bikes.

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into that. It's been breaking up at tip in, so I'm hoping a cleaning helps, but I'm not really a fan of the pods anyway, so finding a better alternative is ideal.

Here it is with the other bike.

c87f1a7bab049f936fb3cd8ae9ce6fa4.jpg

From my experience CV carbs have trouble with pods when you first crack the throttle, mid range and top end are OK. something about switching from the idle circuit to the main jet. Not to say it cant be done, but i if i was gonna spend a bunch of time dialing in carbs I would prefer to get something better.

-vic

Seals are done finally. Everything is assembled temporarily. I'll be pulling everything off again to paint the whole bike.

b26697c75f69d472b3f442009de9e612.jpg

Check out inside the side covers on the motor....I had problems with my KZ and it was directly related to the timing advancer which just needed to be taken off and lubed until it sprung back properly

Search for another project bike....with a 4 into 1 in the parts bin....I just did this and ended up with 5 bikes 3 xs1100 and 2 cb 750 for $240

Back
Top Bottom