www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 50cc to 70cc question  (Read 3701 times)

Offline sagalout

50cc to 70cc question
« on: Nov 27, 2014, 15:58:35 »
Hey, decided to upgrade the 50 to a 70 using the ooracing kit....the 50 is just too slow to accelerate safely.

Got the engine out, but all the tutorials I can find on youtube are for the GY6 engine which is a little different.  There's a access hatch for the cam timing, as below.  My question is, is the timing 'dot' on the sprocket supposed to point to the vertical notch?

Also, anyone know the easiest way to remove the sprocket, as it needs transferring to the new head.

Apologies for the incorrect terminology - it's the first time I've done this!

IMG_6646 by sagalout, on Flickr

Also does anyone know what the valve clearances should be as I guess I'll need to adjust these, or will they be set by ooracing as the whole head is complete?

Next question....the kit comes with a CDI, again with no instructions at all.  I can't even see where this should plug in?

Offline sagalout

Re: 50cc to 70cc question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2014, 18:07:07 »
OK, managed to remove that, and now trying to install the new piston.....is there a technique for the circlips?!  Been trying for 30 mins and can't even get the first one in, off the engine!  Just doesn't seem close to fitting compared to the youtube videos I've seen?

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2014, 21:54:27 »
… is there a technique for the circlips?!

If we're talking the little items that retain the gudgeon pin, they should just push into place with a bit of judicious help from a screwdriver.

If they're taking more than 30 seconds each something is definitely amiss!

Crazy
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline sagalout

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2014, 03:25:19 »
Going to have another go later - was trying to prise it in with needle pliers but will try screwdriver.

Another question, what oil would you recommend? 10W40?

Offline Redliner

50cc to 70cc question
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:20:45 »
If it's cold where you are, try 10w-30. Valvoline should be readily available.

The clip is really easy, just for the love of mothers priceless shekels, place a rag around the conrod to prevent it dropping in.

Place one sharp end of the clip into the channel. Slide the other clip end towards the hole and it will compress and slip in. Takes 5 seconds and I usually just use my finger nail.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline sagalout

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:20:11 »
It's never that cold really - very rarely below zero!

These clips are really really stiff - I can't even bend enough to get one side in!  Had another go this morning and only succeeded in cutting my finger open lol

Offline xristianos

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:24:58 »
According to my research -  ;)

Put one of the circlips in place already then slip the gudgeon pin in so you only have to do one side. As for youtube vids, I have found one that helped me out when I did mine.

Its a 4 part so you can skip to the 4th.

The Ace 50cc motor is based on the old Honda ST50 motor.

Offline sagalout

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:05:10 »
Thanks, managed to get circlips on finally and now have engine rebuilt :)

Today's task getting it back in the bike!

Offline sagalout

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:59:53 »
HHmm, spoke too soon.  Something isn't right :(

When I turn over the engine (on the bench) its very very stiff when the piston is at the top of the stroke.  The spark plug is out so there should be little or no compression.  I can only turn it over using a wrench on the crankshaft.

I thought when fitting it that the piston seemed to be hitting the head gasket, but assumed when it was all torqued down it 'was supposed to be like that'.

Any ideas what could be wrong before I strip it all down again :(

Pretty sure the seating pins were put back correctly (surely if they were wrong it would be a problem the other way anyway?)
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2014, 08:06:54 by sagalout »

Offline sagalout

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:50:31 »
OK, stripped it back down and there's good news and bad news!

Good news is I haven't broken anything, or installed anything 'wrong'.

Bad news is ooracing sent the wrong head gasket with the kit.  When I took it back if and laid it out with the old one its exactly the same size :(

So now I'm stuck until tuesday, when hopefully I'll receive the proper one.

IMG_6653 by sagalout, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2014, 10:52:02 by sagalout »