www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 83704 times)

Offline Redliner

Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2015, 12:51:39 »
You should also inspect the baskets for wavy grooves from the plates banging against them. The grooves will make it difficult for the plates to move, so they will stick AND slip when riding. Sometimes they can be lightly sanded out. Too deep and you'll need to replace.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2015, 13:32:23 »
Oh wow.. ok awesome, thanks for the tip man!
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline Redliner

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2015, 15:53:58 »
The grooves on the inner basket I show were actually causing slipping and sticking. Replacing the inner and lightly cleaning up the outer cleared the issue.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2015, 16:05:39 »
The grooves on the inner basket I show were actually causing slipping and sticking. Replacing the inner and lightly cleaning up the outer cleared the issue.

yeah the inner looked bad enuf to cause an issue ,but is very rare issue on street bikes

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2015, 23:53:38 »
So.. I split my very first engine case! It was a pretty cool experience and I was pretty nervous at first but everything worked out really well. I was really careful not to damage the cases and made extra sure to note all the dowels and little bearing pieces and pins that are littered throughout the cases. My next move will be to test the crankshaft/bearings for runout and make sure everything is in good working order. When I did split the case I was pleasantly surprised to see that this is a very very clean and well maintained engine!

I am still awaiting my new parts and machined pieces from Bore Tech so in the meantime I need to give these cases a good cleaning and look into vapour blasting or soda blasting to clean them up so I can paint them. My plan is to paint the body of the engine black because I think it will contrast well with the shiny aluminum bolts & covers. My only concern is that painting the engine black will have an adverse effect on the temperature of the engine. Am I just being paranoid or is this a valid concern?

I also read about being careful with what type of media you use to clean the engine pieces. Something about the wrong media can get inside the engine and cause havoc. Can anyone suggest or advise on how to clean these pieces without causing any harm?

Thanks and enjoy the pics & video!

Wrench it Up!

Offline CALfeRacer

• Fat man on a little bike
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2015, 00:24:31 »
Your engine pictures are so much better than mine are I think I'll have to use yours as reference when putting my engine back together hahaha.
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
Afflicted by BAS: Bike Acquisition Syndrome. There's always room for one more!

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:00 »
GOOD GOING ! be sure and clean out thoughrolly from undernesth the tin plate (windage tray inna sort of)that sits belo the crank , lotsa sentiment ends up there

Offline Redliner

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:44 »
Yeah put some diesel or diesel/MMO mix under there and wash it out good. Don't be too worried about getting it spotless though. As soon as things are back together and you put oil in it, the cycle begins again.

Don't remove the rubber on the front outer cylinder studs. They help dampen an annoying ringing/buzzing sound. The same reason you have rubber pucks between the cooling fins.

If you have the option, choose vapor blasting. It also makes for a very attractive satin finish. Don't worry about paint. Tests were done on intercoolers that were bare aluminum vs painted black. The black ones performed better...negligibly so. Besides, look how many air-cooled bikes had painted motors from the factory such as Honda XL's.

Just be sure to DEGREASE THE SHIT OUT OF IT and treat it like a newborn with hemophilia: meaning don't drop it, ding it, or spill brake fluid on it.

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2015, 12:48:16 »
Your engine pictures are so much better than mine are I think I'll have to use yours as reference when putting my engine back together hahaha.

HA! Cheers bud.. That's they're there for  :D

GOOD GOING ! be sure and clean out thoughrolly from undernesth the tin plate (windage tray inna sort of)that sits belo the crank , lotsa sentiment ends up there

Ok cheers for the advise, will do!  :)

Yeah put some diesel or diesel/MMO mix under there and wash it out good. Don't be too worried about getting it spotless though. As soon as things are back together and you put oil in it, the cycle begins again.

Don't remove the rubber on the front outer cylinder studs. They help dampen an annoying ringing/buzzing sound. The same reason you have rubber pucks between the cooling fins.

If you have the option, choose vapor blasting. It also makes for a very attractive satin finish. Don't worry about paint. Tests were done on intercoolers that were bare aluminum vs painted black. The black ones performed better...negligibly so. Besides, look how many air-cooled bikes had painted motors from the factory such as Honda XL's.

Just be sure to DEGREASE THE SHIT OUT OF IT and treat it like a newborn with hemophilia: meaning don't drop it, ding it, or spill brake fluid on it.

Redliner...  ;D hahaha always love the advice.. Thanks!! :D
What is diesel/MMO mix?? Diesel fuel?!? What about PineSol or simply Sunlight dish soap?

Wrench it Up!

Offline Redliner

1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2015, 13:06:28 »
Diesel is probably the best oil solvent for the price. $2-3 per GALLON. Sometimes I mix with Marvel Mystery Oil to break up really tough stuff and thicken it so it clings where it's needed. About 1L of MMO per gallon is a nice oily mix for cleaning anything without even harming soft parts.

PineSol is excellent stuff. I use original formula, not any citrus or scented stuff. Makes my carb bowls come out clean enough to drink out of, through with a slight aftertaste. That's the power of PineSol, baby
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 13:11:28 by Redliner »