www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 67331 times)

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2015, 16:50:47 »
I have a few burning questions as I'm getting deeper into this build. I am almost through editing part 6 of my build process and have been busy meticulously sanding down the aluminum parts to give them a nice shine (pics/video to come) and torturing myself in the process... Can't stop now... must.. keep.. sanding!!

In the meantime wanted to know if anyone could help out with the following info:

1) I am looking for a reliable source for bronze bushings for the swing arm on my CB350. Anyone have any good sources for well made bronze bushings?

2) Since removing the forks from the bike and seeing the surface rust that has gathered near the top of the stanchions, I am wondering how to remove/repair this? Since it is chrome if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these stanchions or do I need to source new ones?

3) I have my sights set on a pair of Hagons for the rear shocks. Can anyone advise as to what length I should buy? I realize I could probably just measure the stock ones and go from there but I was looking to get some opinions about better handling with lower vs higher shocks, keeping in mind I am 80% sure I'm putting clip ons (or similar) or drag bars perhaps which will lower my stance, shifting my weight slightly forward. I'm approx 5'10" and weight 165lbs. Also, what is a good source to purchase these shocks?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Tony
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
1982 Yamaha Virago XV750 Custom

« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2015, 18:25:49 »
Buy some metric sockets.

Can't agree with this more, and am baffled that you were able to tear down a bike without them.
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2015, 18:44:02 »
Can't agree with this more, and am baffled that you were able to tear down a bike without them.

Dually noted. Thank you good sirs.
Tony

Offline TheCoffeeGuy

• Books, Books, Books, knowledge is within
    • The Coffee Guy's Blog
www.thecoffeeguy.ca Not your ordinary Blog site.

1968 Harley Aermacchi ML 125 Rapido, restored
1972 Honda Cl 450 engine rebuild, a day rider soon, now sold
1980 Suzuki GS850GL Street Brat  My other day bike
2000 Harley 1200 Sport S My day bike
1982 Honda CB650 Chopper light

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2015, 21:02:07 »
http://charlies-place.com/product-category/bronze-swing-arm-bushings/

Thanks man, but I believe those are the wrong ones. There are 4 on the CB350 and they are more stubby than that. I appreciate it though man!
Tony

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2015, 21:15:52 »
So for my 6th session I took the angle grinder to the frame to clean it up a little bit. I needed to cut off some of the tabs and make room for the battery box I want to fit underneath the new seat. I did not want to cut the back of the frame off yet as I was looking to get some advice from anyone on here who could lend it and also from some friends of mine.

Next, I tried to tackle taking the tires off the rims to get to the spokes and hubs but failed miserably with some old ass tire irons my dad had laying around. I bought a nice set of tire irons in the meantime and will get to the wheels on another wrench session. Having failed with the wheels I moved onto the swing arm bushings. Those little buggers are hell to remove! I did a bunch of research on how to remove them (some people are pretty creative! lol) and found the best method was with a punch and hammer. Smashed my hands a few times though but all worked out. Using this method will seriously damage the bushings, so beware! You're best bet is to replace them anyway with bronze bushings as they are far more superior and will last basically a life time. If you're looking for bronze bushings, contact Bob Franzke at franzke@attglobal.net and he will set you up nicely if you tell him you're from the forum.

After this I started on the reconditioning process on my aluminum parts, etc. I am going for a mirror shine on my engine side covers, forks and hubs. The process is going to take a while but I think it's going to look pretty amazing when it's all done. I soaked the greasy parts in Super Clean for a little bit and gave them a scrub with a small wire brush and it seemed to work perfectly. I also rinsed the parts thoroughly in warm water and even gave them a good scrubbing with a cleaning brush and soapy water. The super clean left the aluminum a little oxidized, but it did not matter as I plan on cutting into them with sand paper and buffing wheels. Be warned though if you're just looking to clean some of your parts and you use that Super Clean stuff, it will oxidized your aluminum and darken it significantly. As you will see in the video it works quite incredibly with chrome parts though!!

I've organized all the parts for PC in one box and all the parts that need to be reconditioned in another as you will see below.

Here's the process of the frame modification, pictures of the parts set for reconditioning and pics of the parts set aside for powdercoat.

Tony

Offline Redliner

« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2015, 23:26:42 »
Using water while removing tyres? 1. Break the bead all around on that side first. Then once you work it off, break the other side completely. 2. Replace the tubes and tube protector strip. Actually you could use duct tape to protect the tube. It's whatever. 3. Once your tyre is on, inflate the tube just a little (not even enough to register on most air gauges) and bounce the tyre on the ground a few times in different spots to work out any kinks or twists. Baby powder on the tube is a must.

Just look at other tyre installation tips on the site for the basics.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #57 on: Jan 15, 2015, 00:39:42 »
Cheers Redliner.. I used the soap and water to help lube the tire a bit to pry it off. My teacher in tech class showed me the tip when we covered tyre changing one day. Installing all new rims, spokes and tyres on this ride so I'll get them properly installed at a shop. I think it's worth the $15, saves me wrestling them on when they can do it in 3 seconds with that machine! The new tyres I bought are tubeless, so I'm looking forward to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony

Offline Redliner

« Reply #58 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:35:36 »
The tyres are tubeless, spoked rims are not.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Woodsy11

« Reply #59 on: Jan 15, 2015, 22:10:12 »
Still enjoying your videos dude. Glad to see progress. Bit by bit!