www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 83636 times)

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #70 on: Feb 07, 2015, 21:03:23 »
Haha I must've wrestled with that damn tire for about 45 minutes just trying to get it off of the rim!!! It was INSANE! It just wouldn't budge!! So I just left if on the rim for now, used the tire iron to move the tire out of the way to get to the back of the nipples.
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #71 on: Feb 07, 2015, 21:12:22 »
there is a tricktoit
but its real easy a long bar or 2 and a BFH  ;)

Offline Redliner

1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #72 on: Feb 07, 2015, 21:31:35 »
Not sure how useful the windex is when removing the tyre.

When you crack the top-nut on the fork stanchion, it might be a good idea to just crack the upper triple clamp one turn. Let the lower triple and fender keep it from spinning.

Coming along well. Wish I had time for my 350 but I'm busy working on everybody else's toys... Woe is me.
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline High On Octane

• Ton Up or Shut Up
« Reply #73 on: Feb 07, 2015, 22:09:56 »
Not sure how useful the windex is when removing the tyre........

I use Windex for mounting my tires, it works pretty good as a lubricant and evaporates clean.

The Blackhawk - Kustom Cafe Racer
1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer 711cc Twin
Now Drinks Corn!!!

Offline Redliner

« Reply #74 on: Feb 07, 2015, 22:10:44 »
Mounting, I understand. But removing...
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:04:16 »
WOW! It's been a little while, but I am BACK with a new post! I have been insanely busy with these aluminum parts. The buffing process took a lot longer than I had originally anticipated but I am EXTREMELY happy with the results as you will see in the pics/video below.

I went on a few snowboarding trips at the end of February so I didn't get a chance to work on the bike much in the last month. I spent two whole days buffing out these parts (8-10hrs each day!) and was still not done! So I had to wait 3 weeks to get back in the garage at the beginning of March to finish everything off. I spent another 11-12hrs finishing everything up this past weekend. This project is very much full steam ahead so don't worry, I have not given up. I have been researching a lot in the off hours, learning about the engine and the work that I intend to complete. I have a few manuals on the way and I am very excited to move on to the next stage of this project. 

The entire process of bringing these aluminum parts to a mirror finish has been an incredibly time consuming but fun and rewarding experience for me. It feels really good to see such amazing results after putting so much time & effort into this process. It all started in late December when I cleaned and degreased each part. Then I spent most of January wet sanding each part through 4 stages of sand paper (220, 400, 600, 800) whenever I had free time after work and on weekends. After the sanding process I went through each part with three buffing compounds, black, brown and white. I used a sisal wheel with the black emery compound to cut into the metal and a cotton spiral sewn wheel for each the brown and white compound. I would say I spend approximately 14-20 hrs on some of the individual parts because of the complexity of the shape. I thought of giving up at times (especially during the sanding process). It was pretty difficult and time consuming to sand into the little crevasses that some of these parts have. I obviously didn't give up and kept positive and worked through it. Best thing about this is that I have an amazing story and experience to share with others and I feel like I've studied every single inch of these parts and know them like the back of my hand.

I would recommend trying this process to anyone who has the work ethic for it. You won't regret it. I saved one of the smaller parts until the end and have shot a quick video of me taking it through the entire process from start to finish in real time explaining each step of the process in detail. I will post that in the upcoming days, so keep your eyes peeled for that if you're interested.

Here is the latest pics & video, I hope you don't break your eyeballs when looking at the miraculous results of my shiny parts:

Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

Offline M.B Co

« Reply #76 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:33:52 »
Holy. shit.

Good job. How many hours do you have in that?

Offline goldy

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #77 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:58:21 »
I don't know why more people don't take the time to do this. Those Japanese castings polish up so nicely. Keep up the good work, BZ!

1948 Norton ES2
1955 AJS 20B
1956 Triumph TRW
1968 Triumph T100 special
1969 Norton Commando
1975 XS650 Yamaha

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #78 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:08:03 »
Holy. shit.

Good job. How many hours do you have in that?

+1 for time well spent. It's a complete bitch to do, especially when you feel like a hamster on a wheel the whole time, but the end result is awesome! The only problem I've had is the oxidation afterwards. Sure you can clear over it, but the high temp engine clear tends to yellow I've found. Clear powdercoat?

Offline DrJ

« Reply #79 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:11:16 »
Good job, now ditch those rusty old steel rims for a pair of shiny aluminums.