www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)  (Read 83578 times)

Offline TheCoffeeGuy

• Books, Books, Books, knowledge is within
    • The Coffee Guy's Blog
Re: 1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)
« Reply #60 on: Jan 15, 2015, 22:40:25 »
+1 on the spoked Rims Redliner
www.thecoffeeguy.ca Not your ordinary Blog site.

1968 Harley Aermacchi ML 125 Rapido, restored
1972 Honda Cl 450 engine rebuild, a day rider soon, now sold
1980 Suzuki GS850GL Street Brat  My other day bike
2000 Harley 1200 Sport S My day bike
1982 Honda CB650 Chopper light

Offline Saturdays Wrench

• Saturday's Wrench YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:54:08 »
+1 on the spoked Rims Redliner

Sorry but what does that mean?
Wrench it Up!
1973 CB350G - Project Bike
2017 Tirumph Bonneville T100

« Reply #62 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:06:16 »
You can use tubeless tires on a spoked rim, but you still need a tube -- spokes aren't airtight. There are a few ways people try to get around this, e.g. by trying to seal the backside of the spokes, but it's half assed at best and risky at worst.
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #63 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:07:24 »
You can use tubeless tires on a spoked rim, but you still need a tube -- spokes aren't airtight. There are a few ways people try to get around this, e.g. by trying to seal the backside of the spokes, but it's half assed at best and risky at worst.

Ahhh.. gotcha! So I still need tubes in my tubeless tyres basically. Cool, cheers guys.
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #64 on: Jan 19, 2015, 21:27:49 »
So to continue on with part B of my 6th session, I went about thoroughly cleaning the engine covers from all grease and dirt and started with the wet sanding process. My plan is to go through the parts with the wet sand paper up to probably 400 or 600, starting with 220. The reason for this is that after doing some more research found a method of buffing that cuts into aluminum, acting just like sand paper but eliminating a crap load of time and manual labor.

I will go more into depths about buffing in the next post, but for now I am quite happy with the result from sanding after this last session. As you'll see from the video I spent a good amount of time on the rear brake panel and got it looking pretty amazing. I was almost tempted to leave the brushed metal look that the 220 wet/dry sandpaper left but I am way too excited to take it further after seeing it come to life slowly.

I would say I worked about 3 and a bit hours on the rear brake panel but seriously I just about got wood during the process lol.. Seriously, this is probably the most fun I've had in awhile. I feel like I'm bringing a machine back to life, it's an insanely gratifying experience. I under estimated the amount of time this would take and did not get to finish all of the parts in this video, but will save it for another episode. I have my work cut out for me, so it might take me awhile. The larger pieces with the tight spots in particular are going to be the most work.

For now enjoy the next video in the series.. I'll be sanding the shit out of some aluminum!

Wrench it Up!

Offline ShaggyPit

« Reply #65 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:28:11 »
Hey man!

great post so far! loving the videos and will be following this one closely
we are almost at similar parts in the build and I just spent an hour and half out in the garage wet sanding some engine covers...although they are still on the engine and havent had the courage to pull them off just yet! haha will do that this weekend hopefully.
definitely respect the level of shine you are trying to achieve, hopefully I have the determination to get there as well! otherwise the brushed metal might be where I end up haha

keep up the solid work! and thanks for providing some inspiration to get out there and polish until my fingers hurt haha

Offline Redliner

« Reply #66 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:20:04 »
I really like the "heavy industries" brushed look in your pics. Some builds need a lot of shiny bits, some are happier being more conservative.

If you do plan to use the polishing wheel, you will want to sand up to 800. That's as high as you'd go. Any higher and all of your work will be undone the first time any protective coating comes off. Aluminum oxidizes very very quickly. On a micro level, it's almost instant. Make sure you get any rough parts and pits with the first step of sanding because the 400 is going to wear your arm out of socket trying to smooth any of that out. Go up to 800, use a wheel with compound, wipe it down with spirits, then add a coat of sealant for aluminum right away if you choose to go with a shiny finish.

I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #67 on: Jan 21, 2015, 16:42:24 »
Hey man!

great post so far! loving the videos and will be following this one closely
we are almost at similar parts in the build and I just spent an hour and half out in the garage wet sanding some engine covers...although they are still on the engine and havent had the courage to pull them off just yet! haha will do that this weekend hopefully.
definitely respect the level of shine you are trying to achieve, hopefully I have the determination to get there as well! otherwise the brushed metal might be where I end up haha

keep up the solid work! and thanks for providing some inspiration to get out there and polish until my fingers hurt haha

Cheers bud! Ya keep up the good work man :)

I really like the "heavy industries" brushed look in your pics. Some builds need a lot of shiny bits, some are happier being more conservative.

If you do plan to use the polishing wheel, you will want to sand up to 800. That's as high as you'd go. Any higher and all of your work will be undone the first time any protective coating comes off. Aluminum oxidizes very very quickly. On a micro level, it's almost instant. Make sure you get any rough parts and pits with the first step of sanding because the 400 is going to wear your arm out of socket trying to smooth any of that out. Go up to 800, use a wheel with compound, wipe it down with spirits, then add a coat of sealant for aluminum right away if you choose to go with a shiny finish.

Redliner, excellent advice as always! Thank you. Is Autosol a good sealant?
Wrench it Up!

Offline Saturdays Wrench

« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2015, 19:32:56 »
I'm back! Sorry it's been awhile but shining these parts has proven to be quite time absorbing, but every bit worth it!! Video and pics to come. For now though I had to work on getting the forks apart in order to measure the springs, replace the seals, replace the bearings in the hubs and get everything shined up with the rest of the aluminum parts. I ran into a slight problem dismantling the forks though, please watch the video to see what I mean and comment if you have any guidance. At the time when I was shooting the video, I was under the impression that the inner assembly for the forks came apart at the bottom when it actually comes apart at the top with the large bolt. For some reason the damper rod will not come loose from the bolt and I can't seem to get it apart. I posted the question in another forum but no one has responded. The post is here: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/51-frame-suspension-steering/35499-need-help-question-about-1973-cb350-front-forks.html

The wheels came apart with no real issue and I am excited to shine up these hubs!! I took all of the parts up to 800 with the wet/dry sand paper, there are some pics below of the before/after. I will post the finishing results in the next major post after I have buffed out all of the parts next weekend. Not having a garage where I reside has proven to be.. annoying. This whole process would have probably taken much less time if I didn't have to travel by train for an hour and a half every time I wanted to work on the bike. Anyway, I am enjoying this so much that secretly I never want it to end but at the same time am ecstatic to see this bike come back together!

Anyway, here's the latest video!

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2015, 19:35:58 by Saturdays Wrench »
Wrench it Up!

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2015, 19:50:37 »
nice work on that sidecase !!
why is the tire still on the rim ? didn't you find it a trite inconvenient working around it as it flopped all over ?