www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: RD350 Cafe Resto-Mod Build  (Read 6462 times)

Offline bonzer

RD350 Cafe Resto-Mod Build
« on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:59:34 »
I figured I jump in and post my build.  Lots of great bikes on here and I dig the community within the forum.

Well, here goes nothin'!

After scooting around on a stock 1975 RD350, and diggin the 2 stroke power band, I wanted to see what more could be gotten out of the RD350. Not wanting to mess with a nice stock bike, I hunted for another RD I felt was crappy enough to modify.  My hunt lead me to 2 crappy RDs scored on craigslist, one crappier than the other which ended up being a parts bike. 

I'm not someone that likes to stray too far off from the original form, but the RD can really be improved with a few bits that make it a much more exciting ride. 

Note, the candidate for the build appeared to be a 1974, as it wore the 74 colors. I developed a build plan which would be for bolt on modifications only which would allow the bike to be returned to stock form if desired. Chambers, rear sets, different seat, clubman bars were all in the plan.  So it seemed like I was stuck with Purple, not my favorite RD color.  75 RD350 Orange and RD250 White are just radical.  All RD400 colors are rad, but hey I'm sticking with purps. . .or so I thought.

Offline bonzer

Re: RD350 Cafe Resto-Mod Build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2014, 13:51:37 »
Here are some shots of the '75.  Just a fun gem of an RD.  Not too nice to not ride it, but nice enough to not mess with it.  Portuguese Orange was just a radical original color.

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2014, 21:17:12 »
Nice RD's. I don't think that the purple one is really that crappy but maybe I have lower standards. Haha
"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline James Hart

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2014, 23:13:53 »
Nice score!  I might be looking for an RD project after I get finished with my CT1.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Offline bonzer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2014, 20:22:25 »
Nice score!  I might be looking for an RD project after I get finished with my CT1.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Nice RD's. I don't think that the purple one is really that crappy but maybe I have lower standards. Haha

Thanks Fellas!  $800 for both probably wasn't the biggest score, but coming across these bikes gets harder and harder.

I'm glad you liked my glamor shot for my effort to get the purple bike a title.  Got her running and gave it a 5MPH joy ride, but she was not safe what-so-ever. Although when you tear down these bikes you find that most of the problems are just from sitting, and some wear and tear.  At least in this case since they weren't bastardized.

Offline bonzer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2014, 23:52:59 »
Skipping the tear down, here's a quick shot of a mock up. 

Again trying to keep with only bolt on mods, I just loved Twinline's RD build.  Their version of using the back 1/4 of the RD350/250 gas tank for the cafe hump just came out so clean. Using that idea, I decided to incorporate it into the original seat pan with it's stock hinges and brackets.  This way the stock 2T oil filler and oil tank could still be utilized. Others have done this also in different degrees

Offline bonzer

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2014, 18:35:30 »
Here are some shots of the built engine and related specs for reference.  The RD engine has long been a hot rod-ed engine and there are individuals out there with decades of experience in extracting power of these power plants.  RD engines and chassis are just a great platform for any sport minded build.

SCR (Scott Clough Racing) was my source for the engine machine work and some misc engine parts. He was just amazingly helpful and kind.  Also very open to answer any question and help you succeed. 

http://home.earthlink.net/~scloughn/

Gary at Spec II provided the expansion chambers (pic coming soon!) and misc components that he was very adamant I use with the pipes such as dropping a tooth off the front sprocket to better utilize the new power band. Gary is another RD freak of nature!

http://www.spec2.com/index2.html

NOTE: The jets in the specs shown was selected for the initial run in.  Started rich to be safe then jetted down as needed with plug chops to dial it in.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014, 18:50:07 by bonzer »

Offline bonzer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2014, 18:46:16 »
The last post you might see where I mention 1973. . .

We'll the PO swapped over the tank, side cover, oil tank, head light and ears over from the parts bike.  After researching the Vin number (which matches the engine) the bike was actually a 1973.  Keeping with my plan, I was able to go with 1973 RD350 Brandy Red as you see in the mock up.  So no more Purps!  Brandy Red, like candy apple red, is not one of my favorites, but that 1970's style white swoosh just looks radical!
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2015, 21:10:04 by bonzer »

Offline bonzer

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2014, 19:24:22 »
After all the polishing, powder coating, plating, and sourcing of needed items from ignition components, cables, new master cylinder (OEM replica), bars, tires, SS spokes & wheel lacing, bronze swing arm bushings, tapered roller bearings for the steering, wheel bearings, chain, rebuilding the controls with new sheaths. . .ok you get the point

Here she was just waiting for the painted components and seat. Quick mock up with the seat to make sure it functioned after the fabrication.

Mop n Glo coating on the pipes at this point
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2015, 21:10:58 by bonzer »

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:56:22 »
Looks Great!  Very evident attention to detail.  Good to see the rear fender retained - your bike will be practical as well as fun!  What are you doing for the front?
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0