www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: $50 mod thread  (Read 348224 times)

Offline ben2go

• Two Wheel Projectile
Re: $50 mod thread
« Reply #760 on: Jul 10, 2013, 11:26:45 »
Stainless steel "stepless" clamps for carb boots.

Seals better than factory and those stupid worm drive ones.
They are thin enough to work very well in all applications

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/oetiker.php

You can get the same thing in stainless steel from McMaster-Carr.They are called T bolt clamps.

Offline Evorussell

$50 mod thread
« Reply #761 on: Jul 10, 2013, 11:39:57 »
You can get the same thing in stainless steel from McMaster-Carr.They are called T bolt clamps.

It maybe difficult to tell from the picture but these differ from normal t-bolts.

1) every t-bolt I found was to wide for the application on my CB360

2) T-bolts still have a pinch point at the top, these are segmented to eliminate that.

3) these are designed to separate and expand to make them easy to take on and off

Don't have to buy them of you don't want to, but they are not the same.

Offline ben2go

• Two Wheel Projectile
« Reply #762 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:30:46 »
Check this DIY paint sprayer out.Shouldn't cost much at all.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-spray-paint-1/

Offline Brunel

« Reply #763 on: Oct 11, 2013, 16:59:53 »
Newbie here, working my way through the thread! Some amazing ideas, very useful. I've not read everything so apologise if this is a repost.

I'm building a Honda CG125 Tracker for my other half. Having chopped the tail off, I realised I needed to bend up a rear loop. Then my eyes fell on the old unused centre stand. A bit of cutting and grinding later and I'd ended up with a pre-bent, perfectly sized rear loop for the total price of nadda.

In the unlikely event that this is new (!) I'd be happy to post up photos :)

Right, off to read, read and read....

Offline Teddy21502

« Reply #764 on: Nov 12, 2013, 18:23:26 »
Newbie here, working my way through the thread! Some amazing ideas, very useful. I've not read everything so apologise if this is a repost.

I'm building a Honda CG125 Tracker for my other half. Having chopped the tail off, I realised I needed to bend up a rear loop. Then my eyes fell on the old unused centre stand. A bit of cutting and grinding later and I'd ended up with a pre-bent, perfectly sized rear loop for the total price of nadda.

In the unlikely event that this is new (!) I'd be happy to post up photos :)

Right, off to read, read and read....

pictures? please

Offline Brunel

« Reply #765 on: Dec 01, 2013, 17:20:02 »
pictures? please

Sorry, not been on the board for a while, some pics as requested. :) On this bike the centre stand main loop made from tubing of the same diameter as the rear subframe. Critical for a smooth look to the rear loop.

Take one old centre stand

Grind away all the useless brackets and cut the ends to match the diameter of the subframe

Cut the ends to produce the desired up lift.

I'll  get a photo of it smoothed and welded in place when it gets back from the powdercoaters :)

Offline soulreaper

« Reply #766 on: Dec 01, 2013, 17:31:31 »
liking this info. thanks everyone

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Offline krafty

• Dyslexics of the World - Untie!
    • Eclectic Motorworks
« Reply #767 on: Dec 09, 2013, 13:40:29 »
While not a mod per-se, this could be the best $15 I've spent on my bike thus far...

After finding the factory manuals online (god bless the interwebs!) I took the PDF down the street to a local printer/bulk mailer.  For $15 they printed the manual, put a clear plastic cover on it and comb-bound it.  Now I don't have to run into the office to look at the computer, risk an iPad getting grease-covered or damaged in the shop, or worry about losing the 1 sheet I needed from the batch I printed on my computer because the furnace kicked on and blew the pages all over the place.

I'm sure everyone has a FedEx/Kinko's nearby, but consider the local print shops near you.  Any of them worth their salt can take a PDF, print it and bind it for you.  They'll also be less concerned over any potential copyright issues in printing something like this (although the local Kinko's has never given me any grief either). 

Oh, and if you have stuff in color, consider printing it straight on black-and-white if you can.  Color printing is super-expensive compared to B/W.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2013, 13:42:33 by krafty »

Offline reesea17

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • I'm probably gonna ask a lot of questions...
« Reply #768 on: Dec 10, 2013, 13:14:49 »
Wanted to share my rear frame hoop development.  After spending a long time contemplating shelling out the $50-$70 for a pre-bent rear hoop, I had an epiphany moment while looking through some junk parts from the initial bike tear down.  The bike originally had one of the front mounted crash guards on it (I think it was modified or a DIY guard, because whoever made it didn't have it even slightly centered, you can see it in the first photo), and I realized that the tubing was the same OD as the frame tubing, and already had two 90 degree angles bent into it.  So I decided to cut off the 90's, weld them together, and use it as my rear hoop. (Going for a flat brat style seat)  Here are a couple pictures to show what I did, technically, this cost me nothing to do.

I don't know why this was even on the bike in the first place, it couldn't have come from Honda this off center could it?

90's welded together.

I wanted to continue the angle of the frame and went with a mitered joint essentially.  Used steel plugs that I turned down in order to help strengthen the joint.

Finished Product:

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #769 on: Dec 10, 2013, 14:46:11 »
Nice work there!
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson