motorcycle inspections in North Carolina

ultimatefiend138

Seeing how I'm a licensed inspector in Durham county, I figured I could share what I know. I'll run through the procedure and exactly what equipment is needed and what you can scrape by with. Keep in mind that if your bike is 35 years old or better, it does not need to be inspected in the state of North Carolina. If the shop you take it to does a proper and thorough inspection, your bike will be lifted. Motorcycles have to have all the same safety equipment as any other passenger vehicle. These items include good tires, mirrors, horn, head and tail lights, good brakes and front ends. If all these things are in good working order, your vehicle will pass inspection. Tires will fail if there is less than 2/32 of tread left on the tire. Dry rotting and weather cracking could fail but that is up to the inspectors discretion. Basically if you're inspector is feeling like a dick that particular day he or she will probably fail you for dry rot. Brakes may fail if they squeal and there is nothing left on the linings. On the bright side you only need to have one brake, either hand or foot operated. Lights all have to be in good working order but cannot have any cracks in the lenses or allow for sitting water in them. Head lights also have to be properly aimed. You don't need to have turn signals on motorcycles. All lights also have to be securely mounted. You do however do have to have a functional tag light. Mufflers also have to be in good working order. Since most of our bikes are "custom" I wouldn't be too concerned about this but if you're running stock, you have to have your baffles in place and can't have any exhaust leaks. That's pretty much it. If you have any questions or concerns about anything, feel free to drop me a line and post pics too and I'll let you know if I'd let it pass, I'm pretty much an ass when it comes to safety inspections so I'll head you in the right direction.

Strange, here in Milwaukee no one even looked at my bike. I brought in the title paid my $23 and walked away with licence plates. I'm sure it would have failed such an inspection. maybe they're a bit less concerned here in harly land.

They're kinda hardasses here about it. I had a coworker just go to court over passing a vehicle that should have failed. That damn DMV is a bunch of sneaky bastards that's for sure

ultimatefiend138 said:
Seeing how I'm a licensed inspector in Durham county, I figured I could share what I know. I'll run through the procedure and exactly what equipment is needed and what you can scrape by with. Keep in mind that if your bike is 35 years old or better, it does not need to be inspected in the state of North Carolina. If the shop you take it to does a proper and thorough inspection, your bike will be lifted. Motorcycles have to have all the same safety equipment as any other passenger vehicle. These items include good tires, mirrors, horn, head and tail lights, good brakes and front ends. If all these things are in good working order, your vehicle will pass inspection. Tires will fail if there is less than 2/32 of tread left on the tire. Dry rotting and weather cracking could fail but that is up to the inspectors discretion. Basically if you're inspector is feeling like a dick that particular day he or she will probably fail you for dry rot. Brakes may fail if they squeal and there is nothing left on the linings. On the bright side you only need to have one brake, either hand or foot operated. Lights all have to be in good working order but cannot have any cracks in the lenses or allow for sitting water in them. Head lights also have to be properly aimed. You don't need to have turn signals on motorcycles. All lights also have to be securely mounted. You do however do have to have a functional tag light. Mufflers also have to be in good working order. Since most of our bikes are "custom" I wouldn't be too concerned about this but if you're running stock, you have to have your baffles in place and can't have any exhaust leaks. That's pretty much it. If you have any questions or concerns about anything, feel free to drop me a line and post pics too and I'll let you know if I'd let it pass, I'm pretty much an ass when it comes to safety inspections so I'll head you in the right direction.

When you do an inspection do you check what the gas tank is made of. Years ago some bikes came equiped with fiberglass tanks, which will not pass now. Now new bikes like enduros come equiped with plastic tanks, that I see pass all the time, as mine did. But I have read if you run across a highway patrol that is an ass, can ticket you for having a plastic tank, gas vapors leak through plastic tanks. whats your take on this. xsthomas

I know this post is WAY old, but can you give me some more information about not having to get your motorcycle inspected if it is greater than 35 years old? If this is the case, how does registration work?

Grate wright up!

As far as a bike older than 35 years you simply get insurance on the bike and get the title in your name. Take all of your info down to the tag place and boom you get a tag! After they take your $. Then if the bike is from out of state or has not had a new tag issued since it turned 35 yeas old you will need to have it inspected. Iv gotten this done for two bikes, its a simple process. Some one from the state comes out and makes shore that the bike you just got a tag for that is listed as a 1977 cb350 is actually a 1977 cb350 in real life. So to have this done figure out who does the inspections in your town and give then a call. They will set you up with a time to meet and then they will come to you and check the bike out. All you need is the paperwork (the bike does not have to have a tag either) and make the bike "look" road worthy. AKA it has a motor gas tank and two wheels. Its easy to do and doesn't cost you a thing!

Just wanted to bump this up and add that, turns signals are not required HOWEVER, if they are present, they must be in working order...

Also, for vehicles over 35 years old you can display and historical tag of the year of the vehicle, doesn't matter what the number is or what it was originally assigned to but you MUST have the current plate with you at all times when the vehicle is on a public road.

Back
Top Bottom