www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: '76 CB360 Build  (Read 1245 times)

Offline jwhite

'76 CB360 Build
« on: Apr 16, 2015, 23:36:44 »
Hi Guys, (sorry this post is so long)
 I have read this forum for the last few months after I bought my '76 CB360 last summer and finally decided to join. Let me give you a little background on the project and then I have a few questions.
 So, my name is Josh and I currently a Sophomore in college. I have no prior experience with motorcycles, but last summer I had the great idea of buying a decent condition 360 that had good compression, but the owner never checked to see if it ran. The intent was to fully dismantle the bike (to learn the components) and then hope I remembered (with pictures) how to put it back together. I want to go with a "brat" style in the end, which would (in short) eliminate the front and rear fenders along with the bulky signals. I also would like to slim down the stock seat and make an electronics tray under it to give it a cafe/brat look. While doing this, I have the intent on upgrading most of the electronics to more modern components. As of now, the bike is completely torn down, I have rebuilt the front and rear suspension and the carbs. The tank was completely rusted, so I used KBS rust remover and sealer (which worked quite well). Since then, I have not been able to do much more, but I am going (eventually) to get the frame and tank powder coated, black and orange, respectfully, but both in a "textured" finish.
 So the questions:
-Is there a "list" of electronic parts a bike needs?
-Can I attach K&N Pods (or others) to the stock carbs w/o modifying them?
-Any recommendations for possibly upgrading the front brake? (Is this necessary?)
-Any ideas on how I can get a new exhaust? I can find mufflers all over the place, but I need the tubing
-Other recommendations/comments? - I have pics if you guys are interested.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: '76 CB360 Build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2015, 06:15:08 »

So the questions:
-Is there a "list" of electronic parts a bike needs?
-Can I attach K&N Pods (or others) to the stock carbs w/o modifying them?
-Any recommendations for possibly upgrading the front brake? (Is this necessary?)
-Any ideas on how I can get a new exhaust? I can find mufflers all over the place, but I need the tubing
-Other recommendations/comments? - I have pics if you guys are interested.

welcome to dtt.

Battery, wires, fuses, controls, horn, sparkplugs, plug caps, points, condenser, coils, regulator, rectifier, solenoid, starter, light bulbs, flasher.

Yes, K&N pods (or others) can be attached to carbs with out any modifications.  (other than the obvious, stock airbox and probable battery box removal.)  Note, Chances are, it will run richer between 3k-5k rpm.

"New fresh pads"  360s have been successfully slowing and stopping w factory brakes for the past 40 years.

New exhaust tubing is available here.... http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

It would be a good idea to get it running and ridable, before making any modifications.  Also, I like the functionality of fenders.  I have fenders on mine. 

Have a great day.  :)

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015, 07:01:38 by trek97 »

Offline jwhite

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2015, 11:57:51 »
trek97, thanks
New exhaust tubing is available here.... http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/
-Thanks for the link, it looks like this is VERY DIY, I do not have a pipe bender, but can get access to a welder. Would you recommend getting one of the kits and just chopping and welding it?

Battery, wires, fuses, controls, horn, sparkplugs, plug caps, points, condenser, coils, regulator, rectifier, solenoid, starter, light bulbs, flasher.
-Perfect! Thanks, I was going to make a small tray under the seat and put the RR, battery, and other essentials there. Knowing nothing about this stuff, I was going to get a small 4-cell antigravity battery and the RR from CognitoMoto. Is there anything else that would go in this pan?

Yes, K&N pods (or others) can be attached to carbs with out any modifications.  (other than the obvious, stock airbox and probable battery box removal.)  Note, Chances are, it will run richer between 3k-5k rpm.
-Yeah, I'm not too worried about it running a little rich, I just find that the stock airboxes are really bulky.

-For the brakes, I was originally going to rebuild the MC and replace the pads, so thats perfect.

This is my first time using Dropbox, but I have posted all the pics I have so far in it. Let me know if there are any problems.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2jaeeygobk1am3/AADmLVpXyy9rw_wkkjovofy8a?dl=0

-Josh

Offline JBchopshopbobs90

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 17:32:03 »
My name is Jeff
I am working on a 73 bobber/rat on now , I have to have new wiring down just to run the headlight and brake light.  little to none experience when it come to electrical.  bought as basket case with out title and implanted it on another legal frame.
Need some help to get started!
Thanks in advance!!!
Jeff  8)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 21:52:28 »
My name is Jeff
I am working on a 73 bobber/rat on now , I have to have new wiring down just to run the headlight and brake light.  little to none experience when it come to electrical.  bought as basket case with out title and implanted it on another legal frame.
Need some help to get started!
Thanks in advance!!!
Jeff  8)

Hey Jeff, Welcome to DTT.  This thread is almost 2 years old.
I suggest you post your inquiry in the electrical section, here...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0