www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB400F, the water bike.  (Read 29 times)

Online Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
CB400F, the water bike.
« on: Today at 18:37:35 »
So I'm calling ut the water bike for the 1/2 gallon that came out when I pulled the sump off.  A friend gave it to me, it had belonged to their uncle and left behind their parents garage for years.  Well the uncle passed away, the bike was moved from behind the garage to behind the barn until it was offered to me.  Now it sat with no starter, and no clutch cover outside in Washington.  Surprisingly it wasn't locked up that bad, and despite the water the internals are all in pretty good shape.  The only parts ruined by water are a few rockers, and the cam.  Now my guess it got parked because the starter clutch broke.  I found half of it in the sump and the rest on the primary shaft.  So plans are to clean and slowly do a full rebuild, probably with a 466 kit, maybe a hotter cam since it needs replacement.

The frame has rust damage as well.  I'm asuming it was on its side because the kickstand fell off.  So the frame needs some repair, and is missing the swingarm.  I'm not worried as I have some interesting parts for the front and rear suspension.  It won't be a cafe, bobber, chopper, tracker or enduro, it'll be different simply because I have intersting parts and I'm not set on finished looks yet.
Xs650

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: CB400F, the water bike.
« Reply #1 on: Today at 19:11:41 »
Wow, you got your hands full there bud.

Im excited to see your progress.  I was able to get mine fired up this morning after the rebuild.

The only advise I can give came from Kanticoy, to replace the factory tension arm w the new style aluminum.

As the factory ones had the bad habit of binding up and it takes pulling the bottom case to free it up.

Parts sources... 4into1.com  davidsilverspares.com between those and ebay / amazon you should easily find everything needed to get her fixed right up.

You can get the 466 kit for $120 at cruzinimage.com

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2017/08/17/75-77-honda-cb400f-466cc-bigbore-pistons-kit-whead-gasket/

Online Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: CB400F, the water bike.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 19:38:51 »
Yeah, probably hardest thing will be finding a new clutch cover with the actuation mechanism.  Already been cruising ebay just to get a feel for prices.  Also been looking at the sohc4 forum to see what knowledge is there.   Sticking with carbs this time as while EFI is fun, and different, it really does add a whole new level to the wiring.

crusinimage is great, I have his pistons in my XS and they were within .0002" and .1g of each other. 

I expect this will take atleast a year, more likely 2 as it will be as money and time allows. 
Xs650