www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build  (Read 108372 times)

Offline Shawzie

Re: Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build
« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2015, 16:23:45 »
Cheers!  How far along are you with your build?  Do you have a build thread?  Yeah, I will keep you posted on the 16" front wheel thing.  A better brake would be awesome actually.  Pretty pricy though I think?

I was wondering if it is possible to just improve the current brake by giving it a little mechanical or hydraulic help...  Like have you seen hydraulic clutch conversions?  Couldn't the same principle be applied to a drum brake?  So you get a better/stronger action from the lever?  Or even one of these things:  http://www.kickstartershop.de/en/Mechanical-clutch-booster
No I don't have a build thread going yet. I really should tho as I have been watching other builds on this site for years now without posting my own. I somehow doubt I'm the only one. I'm fairly far along at this point. Need to do a seat, fenders, tuning and that'll be pretty close to done.
I think we either live with the shitty front brake or swap it out for a better one. I doubt upgrading the stock one would be worth the money. Plus I like the look of a big drum with a small rim.  I haven't looked into sizes or fit or anything yet though

Offline Shawzie

« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2015, 16:28:53 »
Fyi, 32mm seat post clamps for bicycles fit the fork tubes. It made it really easy and clean to make headlight ears with. Cut some ally plate and hand finish with a file and it turns out pretty nice. Bicycle parts are easy to come by where I live.

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2015, 19:56:56 »
No I don't have a build thread going yet. I really should tho as I have been watching other builds on this site for years now without posting my own. I somehow doubt I'm the only one. I'm fairly far along at this point. Need to do a seat, fenders, tuning and that'll be pretty close to done.
I think we either live with the shitty front brake or swap it out for a better one. I doubt upgrading the stock one would be worth the money. Plus I like the look of a big drum with a small rim.  I haven't looked into sizes or fit or anything yet though

Its true man, I have built a few bikes and not posted anything while at the same time have read a lot of other peoples threads and learned a lot.  Its never to late to post your stuff!  I got quite a few questions on that video of mine of the first SR I built so I promised myself (and them) that I would do a build thread the next time I worked on a bike.  Did you ever read LunarC's build thread on Perth Street Bikes?  Was a few years ago now but that was an awesome source of information and inspiration.  Too bad he sold the bike to pay for his engagement ring or something!  But a company bought it off him and finished it off into this:  http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/09/17/garage-projects-yamaha-sr250-lunacy.html

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
Yamaha SR250 - 16" front wheel conversion
« Reply #23 on: Jun 24, 2015, 04:03:19 »
I searched high and low for a rim the right size.  I was hoping to buy a raw steel rim from Central Wheel and have them drill it to my hub specs.  But they don't stock the 16" rims anymore in 2.15" size.  I emailed a few other places and there are places that can do it, but want minimum orders of 50 and such.  What I ended up doing is buying an old SR250 rear rim and stripping and powder coating it.

I also calculated the spoke lengths for this size rim but they were wrong :(  Time for a reorder...

Offline Shawzie

« Reply #24 on: Jun 24, 2015, 04:12:01 »
Yes I have read that build thread. One of the better ones for sure. I was thinking of using a stock rear rim on the front. If you could share your info on the spokes that would be awesome. Very interested to see how yours goes. I'll figure out how to post pics and put a few up. I just got my garage under control and hope to get back at it

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #25 on: Jun 24, 2015, 04:12:36 »
Decided to turn my focus back to the seat.  So I have modeled up something I think I like in 3D.  I will then print it out roughly in 3D and see if it works on the bike.  I am hoping to design the seat so that it fits with very little frame modifications and so I can make a production run of them - for other builders working on the SR250.  I have seen many nice SRs ruined with a crappy home job seat (I am one of them - my first SR build).  IMHO it is worth it to fork out a bit extra for the seat because it really does make a bike...

A quick note on seats...  The first seat I made, I made ultra thin - I wanted it to be one of these brat-style slices of foam - as low profile as possible.  After riding that thing for a couple of years I have decided I am over thin seats!  Haha  I actually have turned right off the look of them as well - hence this seat design will be a little thicker, maybe 80mm-ish.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #26 on: Jun 24, 2015, 09:00:24 »
Fyi, 32mm seat post clamps for bicycles fit the fork tubes. It made it really easy and clean to make headlight ears with. Cut some ally plate and hand finish with a file and it turns out pretty nice. Bicycle parts are easy to come by where I live.

Thanks for the tip!  Never thought of that.  It seems that 32mm forks are super uncommon in the motorbike world, but like you say 32mm shit must be common on bikes :)

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #27 on: Jun 24, 2015, 09:01:58 »
Yes I have read that build thread. One of the better ones for sure. I was thinking of using a stock rear rim on the front. If you could share your info on the spokes that would be awesome. Very interested to see how yours goes. I'll figure out how to post pics and put a few up. I just got my garage under control and hope to get back at it

Yeah man def, I'll let you know the dims/specs when I get the next order and confirm they are correct.  No use sending you information that is wrong!  Haha, this way I wear the cost of the development

Always good to get the garage under control!

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #28 on: Jun 24, 2015, 09:05:47 »
First part of the seat done...

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: Jun 24, 2015, 09:13:31 »
cool build so far. LunarC was a member here and his build was posted here in parallel with the Perth builders site. He had some great ideas and attention to detail for sure.

Cheers
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson