Not sure if this qualifies as "Big Arse Project"

njsoccerguy

Recently picked up this CB200T.............so with it being so small, and I'm not planning on doing too much to it, I'm not sure it's such a big project.......somehow, with me working on it, it'll turn into one.

Only have minor plans for it right now. It ran sweet when I picked it up, everything worked great, so I don't plan on doing anything to the engine, other than cleaning it up. The paint on the frame is in great shape as well, so I'm likely to leave it and just work on the bars (which I've already changed by the time I took the pic), seat, fenders (not putting them back on), exhaust, and tires. Along with the typical tune up and brakes and stuff like that. It only had about 6,000 miles on it too. ;D

I've been keeping an eye on 904cafe's "silver bullet" build and was shocked to find basically the same bike........so I guess I'll be doing mine a bit differently, although I really like what he's done........gotta be a little different. May have questions along the way...........actually have one already

When I went to put all the wires back together, according to the Clymer manual (and I think I did everything right..... ::)) it didn't start and the horn wouldn't work. Everything else did though. Then nothing did :'(......I disconnected the battery, and then everything but the horn, and the bike starting, worked again. What would cause something like that??

Anyway....here's some crappy pics I took tonight. Will update as the project comes along.

craigs155.jpg

craigs157.jpg

craigs156.jpg

Hey njsoccerguy , just wondering how you mounted the brake light against the rear of the frame. I am on the last stages of my CB200 build and the tail light is the last real step to complete!

Cheers

Thanks for the remarks everyone. One of the reasons I decided to keep this bike (selling my CB350) is the tank. I really like the look of the tank on this one.

As far as the light goes......I haven't mounted it yet.....that's the old light just sitting on the tire right now. I plan on buying a light and mounting it to a bracket (which I still need to make) beneath the seat for now, and mounting the bracket using the holes where the rear fender was mounted.

First I have to get this thing to start up again, anyone have any idea what could be causing the starting situation (besides the fact that I didn't wire it correctly.....that much I already know....LOL).

njsoccerguy said:
Thanks for the remarks everyone. One of the reasons I decided to keep this bike (selling my CB350) is the tank. I really like the look of the tank on this one.

As far as the light goes......I haven't mounted it yet.....that's the old light just sitting on the tire right now. I plan on buying a light and mounting it to a bracket (which I still need to make) beneath the seat for now, and mounting the bracket using the holes where the rear fender was mounted.

First I have to get this thing to start up again, anyone have any idea what could be causing the starting situation (besides the fact that I didn't wire it correctly.....that much I already know....LOL).

Be VERY VERY careful when you make your taillight bracket! I made one with the same intentions and as soon as i put the seat back on and got he bike off of the work stand I realized that I had a BIG problem. The rear tire barely cleared my tail light and as soon as I put any weight on the bike (namely ME) the bracket rubbed really bad! On the first test run around the neighborhood, everytime I hit a but it scrapped the mount.. Just be extra cautious and test the clearance before its too late!

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do it......most likely will be using a much smaller taillight. I will definitely keep that in mind though. :)

OK, just a quick update......I got everything back together, but I cannot get it to start. I tried the kick start, the key, rolling start....NOTHING. This ran great before I took the wiring apart in the headset. I thought maybe the battery was dead, I was even thinking of trying to give it a jump....Not sure that's a good idea or not. When I hooked up the jumper cables, I got sparks from the positive side when the clamp part of the cable came into contact with the frame.

I also have 1 wire (brown) that doesn't have anything to connect to and there's no mention of it in the Clymer manual, or Chilton's (which I downloaded off this site). THe brown wire from the ignition is connected so I don't know what the heck it could be......

Also, now nothing works again.............HELP!!! PLease!! ;D

Spark......Gas......Air

You need all three. It is your job to figure out which one you are not getting.

Not getting spark, but why I don't know. I know it's a "wiring" issue, but I seriously re-wired just as the diagram shows.

It's apart now.....again.....so I'll check and double check to see what it could be. Was hoping there was some kind of...."Did you notice......." or this some easy explanation. Guess not right......LOL

Nothing is easy with wiring. First is to check to make sure everything is grounded correctly. You may need a multimeter (or test light) for this. After that, it's just a matter of tracing the flow of electricity and making sure everything is tight with good electrical contact.

njsoccerguy said:
Not getting spark, but why I don't know. I know it's a "wiring" issue, but I seriously re-wired just as the diagram shows.

It's apart now.....again.....so I'll check and double check to see what it could be. Was hoping there was some kind of...."Did you notice......." or this some easy explanation. Guess not right......LOL

Have you replaced the turn signals? I had this same exact problem when I changed out my handle Bars, it ended up being that i mixed up the ground and power wires on the aftermarket turn signals. Your best bet is to get a friend and go through the wiring diagram wire by wire (thisprocess should only take about 45 min to an Hour).

Hope this helps!

OK, after an hour or so last night.........................SUCCESS!!!

I now have all the electric working, I just need to get it outside to see if it'll start. It's snowing today, so not sure if I'll get a chance to do it. But for now............I am very happy!!! I'll post some updated pics with it all back together.

Thanks for the help!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Are you the one selling the 350 on CL in Mount Laurel? My in-laws live next to Cherry Hill in Haddon Township. Too bad my father-in-law isn't looking for a bike.

No, I'm currently in South Carolina. But we visit often. I worked at the Boeing Plant in Philly for six months and stayed in NJ at the in-laws. I also worked for the Camden County Parks Dept. one summer during college.

I'm in Gibbstown, maybe we will meet up sometime this summer, I would love to see that bike in person. I will keep a eye on this thread to see if you get it going.

OK, I've had a lot of progress on this bike. I painted the tank (not completely happy with it), broke the side air filter covers (Dooohhh!!), got her running!!!!, and put a new seat cover on.

Still have plans on a cafe seat, just looking for a pan so I can make them interchangeable, in case anyone wants to ride with me. Also going to cut down the rear fender, find a smaller tail light, get 2 new tires, and I need a headlight bucket for it....the one that's on there is cracked.....if anyone has one, LMK.

It's getting dropped off at a local shop this week to get some work done.......full tune up, prolly do the tires then too. Also the clutch is slipping so, if they crack it open and it needs a clutch I'll get that done too. If they are gonna need to take the engine out at all, the frame and parts are going to get powdered, along with a proper powder job on the tank.....LOL

Overall though not too bad for right now I think.

kids002.jpg

kids003.jpg

kids005.jpg

kids004.jpg

hay man.
love the bike.
i do like the old color my self, and i'm guessing you do aswell.
what are you doing with exh, keeping straight pipes????????
so far so good!!!
are you installing frt fender??????? or keeping it street fighter.
any way man i like this build and keep us posted.
later.

Back
Top Bottom