www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: The Twinstar Project  (Read 14287 times)

Offline CALfeRacer

• Fat man on a little bike
The Twinstar Project
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2015, 18:38:28 »
Intake on the motor was shot, luckily I had a spare laying around. Will be ordering carb o-rings once I get home, and if I have time the engine will go in. Looking at putting the 250 swingarm on, otherwise I'll just lace the 18" rim to the 200 hub.
I've also been mulling over setting up a dual-carb system, but right now the priority is to make it run well in a close to stock form.
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
Afflicted by BAS: Bike Acquisition Syndrome. There's always room for one more!

Offline CALfeRacer

Re: The Twinstar Project
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2015, 19:21:29 »
Did a bit of work on the rear wheel.
Stock vs re-laced 250 hub

Mockup on the bike. 250 front wheel (18") and 200 read hub with 18" rim laced on
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2015, 02:50:26 »
Ordering a few gaskets then the motor will be going in. Need to solder the wires coming off of the signal generator, they broke just after the grommet. Picked up a headlight at a swap meet this weekend that I'll be running, just need to fab a couple brackets. Gauges are off and the bracket will be modified to run just the speedo in the center.
I started looking at the wiring. The controls that came with are pretty much toast, and the connectors don't match the ones on my harness. Thinking about chopping connectors and replacing them all with bullets, or new connectors. Probably going to try to run a separate toggle switch for the kill, and push button for the starter. Then just a universal throttle and brake perch. Might try to salvage the left switch, but not sure yet.
Sorry, no pictures for this update.

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2015, 23:42:20 »
I'm looking at buying tires... Rims are both 1.85x18". Not sure if I should be running a 3.00 or a 3.50. I believe stock was a 3.25. Shinko recommends the 3.00 with a 1.85 rim on their website though.
Looking at either Gazelles in 3.00, Shinko 241s in 3.00, or Shinko 244s in 3.50. Could also run a Shinko 712 in 100/90 as a street tire option. Anyone have experience with these?
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 00:58:41 by CALfeRacer »

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2015, 14:11:14 »
Decided to do the SR241 in 3.00. Local shop has them, and they give a discount on the install if you buy through them. They'll also true my rear wheel for me. I got it close, but I don't have an actual truing stand and I'd rather leave it to a pro this time around. Pretty much everything else is ordered, so things should progress pretty good once all the parts get here. I'm probably going to break the rim down one more time and hit all the spokes with some steel wool to clean them up a bit, and try to clean the hub a bit before it gets put back on. This bike is going to be ridden hard, so I don't really have any desire for it to be clean or shiny. Just want it to work well.

Offline CALfeRacer

The Twinstar Project
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2015, 21:51:10 »
Just picked up the wheels from the shop. Waiting on chain and sprockets to show up to mount them. Also grabbed the spare signal generator I had to replace the one on the motor with trashed wires.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2015, 22:09:49 by CALfeRacer »

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2015, 22:12:31 »
Progress is good!
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2015, 23:22:52 »
Thanks! I feel like this is the quickest I've been able to go through a project so far. I think it's the combo of having a lot of the parts, and being semi-confident

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2015, 18:22:32 »
Woooooo box of parts! All that's left are the carb parts coming from Canada, which should be here Wednesday.

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2015, 13:18:57 »
Carb parts are here, and I have all day to work on the bike. Should have a roller pretty soon.
I need to solder the wires from the pickup, or swap out the one from the spare cover. Also looking at cutting up some CBR headers to see if they'll work on the 250. They may be a touch big, but if they fit the exhaust ports that's enough for me.