www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: The Twinstar Project  (Read 13153 times)

Offline CALfeRacer

• Fat man on a little bike
Re: The Twinstar Project
« Reply #100 on: Dec 16, 2018, 14:20:08 »
Finally got the muffler attached. My excuse for taking so long is it getting dark early and working too late. Lame excuse but thatís what Iím rolling with.

Biggest things now are to re-clean and seal the tank (radiator shop I took it to did kind of a shit job and theyíre the only one near me who would do it) and get it registered. Other than that I think the air filter should go on fine, itíll just be rigged up a little weird (will post pics when it happens...) itíll need to get a tune when itís rideable too.

Realistically I wonít get anything big done till the new year, with all the holiday festivities and such going on. Just wanted to give a quick update and say Merry Christmas to everyone still following along!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
Afflicted by BAS: Bike Acquisition Syndrome. There's always room for one more!

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #101 on: Dec 16, 2018, 14:24:10 »
if you're gonna use a hoseclamp to secure the muffler, I would suggest a "constant-torque" clamp, they are much more heavy duty and usually have a cleaner looking band.
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #102 on: Dec 17, 2018, 01:34:19 »
Yeah, that clamp is gonna come off. Thought it might work and had it laying around but noooooope. Iíll look up the one you mentioned, thanks!

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline pidjones

« Reply #103 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:31:08 »
I'd also suggest putting the hanger strap behind the muffler. 1) It'll look better. 2) Keep things out of the swing arm more.

Also, if you really want the shortys to work (at least a little), you need to pull the baffle and re-wrap it with some much better packing.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #104 on: Dec 18, 2018, 00:25:03 »
I agree it would look better with the strap behind, but I feel like there was a reason I decided to do it outside... Honestly I think it might've just fit best that way since I ended up welding the pipe at a bit too much of an angle coming back towards the shock  :o

Offline goldy

« Reply #105 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:08:26 »
It's going to ROAR with that little muffler LOL! You may find yourself doing a little carburetor tuning when you get it on the road...the exhaust and air filter may lean it out too much, especially at full throttle...but that's not insurmountable.
1948 Norton ES2
1955 AJS 20B
1956 Triumph TRW
1968 Triumph T100 special
1969 Norton Commando
1975 XS650 Yamaha

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #106 on: Dec 20, 2018, 01:48:53 »
Carb tuning will be fun

So I took a peek at the muffler, mount is on the outside cuz if it was inside it would be way too close to the swing arm for comfort.

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #107 on: Feb 13, 2019, 00:14:27 »
Spent a little time this weekend on the bike and forgot to post an update. Made a GROSS air filter setup with some spare pipe from the exhaust build. I know itís bad, but this bike isnít going to be making big power, and with the 250 in there thereís basically no room behind the carb for a filter.
Also the tank is soaking in metal rescue since the radiator shop did a shit job cleaning it. I was cheap and only bought one gallon, hoping I could just rotate it and get all sides. So far the sides are nice and clean, but the middle is still rusty. Another day or two of soaking and turning will probably lead to me just buying the second gallon and doing it correctly. Once the tank is clean and on, thatíll mean Iím close! Next big hurdle is plates.

Offline CALfeRacer

« Reply #108 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:38:38 »
Big news! I rode the bike for the first time!!! Sure, it was just a couple rips up and down the block, but it was so exciting! It also ran surprisingly well; no flat spots, popping, hesitation, or weird noises from the engine.
However, the tires are flat and I didnít have a gas can so I was feeding gas in to the carb with a Gatorade bottle. The headlight also shut itself off right after I turned it on with the bike running. Not sure if itís a blown fuse or blown filament, but Iíll need to check.
Hopefully itíll be light when I get home from work tonight so I can scoot down to the gas station thatís a couple blocks away to fill up on gas and air. Biggest thing now is just getting it registered!

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #109 on: Feb 19, 2019, 13:50:25 »
Congrats on the first ride. I would think that the hard 90 degree bends would be terrible for air flow on that air intake. But it sounds like it worked out?