www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 79kz650 generic brat motorcycle thing  (Read 13804 times)

Offline Jboogie13

Re: 79kz650 generic brat motorcycle thing
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2015, 07:28:37 »
Great bike man, I dig the inspiration bike too.  Seems you are moving right along.

Thanks!

I think the time consuming parts will be the seat and painting/shaping the tank and fenders.

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2015, 00:44:13 »
As my weekend draws to a close, this is how the bike sits:

Next step will be mounting the components to the electrics tray, though im not 100% sure that i will end up keeping this tray, but it will do for now. I also need to find a battery and a mosfet R/R so that i can run a LiFe batt along with switching to an electrosport stator.

For the handlebar controls i went to radio shack and picked up some mini toggle switches to make a DIY version of these fancy things:
Because $60.00 a side seems a bit steep when the switches cost $6.00 a side, so i will have to come up with a switch block, which i have an idea in mind already.

Also have to start working on the rear fender. That's next weeks project.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2015, 15:25:58 »
played around with the rear fender a little before work this afternoon:

Keep in mind that the fender will be about 3/8" higher when mounted, as there is a magnet holding it on in the picture, but i think the rear hoop will be going back into surgery to make some adjustments for tire clearance. right now the tire hits the hoop with about an inch more travel left.  :-X

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2015, 17:18:21 »
At least you found out about the tire clearance before it happened on the street.  Nice switch bling too.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 73 Norton Commando, my 93" shovelhead chop, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline CafeRacer650

• Dream it. Build it. Live it.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2015, 17:21:02 »
Great work so far!  Love KZ builds.  I Look forward to seeing this one when it's done.  I was curious on how you're going to handle the rear disc brake.  I have the same setup on my KZ650 and I haven't wrapped my head around what to do with it.  Leave it, or do some custom setup that moves the reservoir somewhere that's less obvious?
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2015, 17:23:20 by CafeRacer650 »
Motorcycles are my personal art medium!
"Jellybean" Cafe Build - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41186.0

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2015, 17:52:23 »
Great work so far!  Love KZ builds.  I Look forward to seeing this one when it's done.  I was curious on how you're going to handle the rear disc brake.  I have the same setup on my KZ650 and I haven't wrapped my head around what to do with it.  Leave it, or do some custom setup that moves the reservoir somewhere that's less obvious?

This one has a rear drum brake, which i am going to leave since the rear brake doesn't really get used while riding, especially not with the dual front disks.

However, if it helps you at all, i know that the guys who ride their sport bikes at the track sometimes use a piece of clear plastic hose in place of their rear reservoir:

Something you may be interested in, as it will draw your eye a lot less than the big bowl, but is easier than relocating everything. Just make sure your rear setup is bled extra good, because you have less fluid you can draw in.

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2015, 17:53:53 »
At least you found out about the tire clearance before it happened on the street.  Nice switch bling too.

Thanks!

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2015, 18:59:36 »
Would using some longer shocks in the rear alleviate my tire clearance issues? i know the kz900 shocks are about an inch longer, and im willing to venture a guess that they have the same amount of travel thus lifting the rear of the bike one inch as well as clearing the tire. It would also bring my head angle in a little more without having to slam the fork.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2015, 19:33:00 »
Would using some longer shocks in the rear alleviate my tire clearance issues? i know the kz900 shocks are about an inch longer, and im willing to venture a guess that they have the same amount of travel thus lifting the rear of the bike one inch as well as clearing the tire. It would also bring my head angle in a little more without having to slam the fork.

Sounds like from your earlier measurements you need more wheel travel space than one inch.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 73 Norton Commando, my 93" shovelhead chop, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2015, 20:38:45 »

Sounds like from your earlier measurements you need more wheel travel space than one inch.

Youre right, i was just trying to get out of it without having to cut it again and re weld it.
Cant start taking shortcuts this early on, it will only come back to bite me in the end. Thanks!