www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 79kz650 generic brat motorcycle thing  (Read 13790 times)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: 79kz650 generic brat motorcycle thing
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2015, 21:25:21 »
Nice project, I am a fan of the KZ's myself. longer shocks can alleviate your clearance problem, and make the bike steer a bit quicker as well. IMHO, when the fender shape is not considered into the hoop design it can look like a bit of an afterthought. What fender are you using BTW? fits the bike nice. heres my z750twin project that I wrapped the hoop up and around the fender, with 1.5" over shocks.

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2015, 21:37:55 »
Nice project, I am a fan of the KZ's myself. longer shocks can alleviate your clearance problem, and make the bike steer a bit quicker as well. IMHO, when the fender shape is not considered into the hoop design it can look like a bit of an afterthought. What fender are you using BTW? fits the bike nice. heres my z750twin project that I wrapped the hoop up and around the fender, with 1.5" over shocks.

Not sure where the fender came from, it was in one of the boxes that came with the bike, i think its from a 650csr.

I think i will be kicking the hoop up some more, as well as some longer shocks down the road. Id like to explore a more modern front end at some point as well,  but thats far into the future.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2015, 21:47:35 »
sounds like you are on the right track. If you are going to move to a modern fork down the road I would recommend doing a little bit of gusseting/bracing to help deal with the stress transferred to the frame with stiffer suspension components. close tolerance motor mounts can be a big help in tying the frame together as well if you want to go all out. I think the most bang for the buck in regards to suspension to these olds KZs is to upgrade the shocks, get a fork brace, then swap swing-arm, then swap the forks; in that order. Going over bumps at speed in a turn, and you can feel that swing-arm twist...

Offline CafeRacer650

• Dream it. Build it. Live it.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:14:24 »
This one has a rear drum brake, which i am going to leave since the rear brake doesn't really get used while riding, especially not with the dual front disks.

However, if it helps you at all, i know that the guys who ride their sport bikes at the track sometimes use a piece of clear plastic hose in place of their rear reservoir:

Something you may be interested in, as it will draw your eye a lot less than the big bowl, but is easier than relocating everything. Just make sure your rear setup is bled extra good, because you have less fluid you can draw in.

That's not a bad idea, thanks!
Motorcycles are my personal art medium!
"Jellybean" Cafe Build - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41186.0

Offline Rustyhama

« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2015, 03:35:02 »
I'll follow this with interest as I decide what to do with my Z750e. I'm keeping it close to stock for now but I'm thinking brat tracker, flat seat, some Shinko 271 trials tires, braced bars maybe. Lots of dreaming... I like what you did with yours, too bad you never finished it off.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Rusty Hama says:

'82 KZ305's are so uncool they're cool
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2015, 02:38:57 »
I'll follow this with interest as I decide what to do with my Z750e. I'm keeping it close to stock for now but I'm thinking brat tracker, flat seat, some Shinko 271 trials tires, braced bars maybe. Lots of dreaming... I like what you did with yours, too bad you never finished it off.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but in all honesty, i didnt have the skills to finish the bike back then.
I now defi itely have the ability, i just hope i can keep an attention to detail and do this one right i stead of just rushing to get it done and riding.

Offline steveinwa

« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:34:57 »
Why I have 2 bikes, keeps me from cutting too many corners, bike is looking good, think I will be headed the same way, want more of a brat than cafe, I wrecked my Aprilia 1000R 5 years ago and I don't think anything can replace that so something a little more cruising will be fun. Keep at it, mocked mine up on the floor tonight, waiting for the paint to dry so I can start putting it together and decide on ride levels, 2 inch is a lot of drop on the forks, thinking about longer shocks too to get rid of that Harley look.
“He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed...”
― T.E. Lawrence
Bikes, Boats and Cars in Anacortes, WA
1999 V Star 650 $500
1980 KZ550 $475
2007 Yamaha Virago 250 $600 1,500 miles
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R Wrecked
2005 Kawasaki 125 bought $500 sold $1,200

Offline Jboogie13

« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:37:17 »
So im my own worst critic. I wasnt happy with how it would turn out from fixing my current setup so i decided to start from scratch:

Also, i think i may have found my answer to the electronics tray issues ive been having. if i mount the batter down low like this fella did:

My only concern would be road grime covering the battery. Would making an inner fender that extends down to the swingarm be sufficient?

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:59:03 »
You could make a "hugger" fender that actually attaches to the swingarm and moves with it.
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2015, 12:59:58 »
either a hugger or a frame mounted fender would be suffiecent. you can make one quite easily by using the stock fender as a buck for some composite work.