www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Rickman CR parts sourcing, rear wheel spoke hub manufacturer, etc?  (Read 12411 times)

Offline harton

Rear disc on the Morris mag is 113mm center hole diameter, 127mm pcd 6-bolt circle (center to center of opposing bolts), I measured about 254mm diameter which is 10" exactly, and 17mm total offset. I'm never really to certain with these parts if I should be measuring in metric or standard!

this definitely seems to be an exact Rickman rotor, but I think your bolt circle diameter measurement is off, or maybe you are measuring from the edge of the holes inside to inside on the smallest distance, as I do get just a hair over 119mm going that route, & 113mm center with 119mm bolt circle center would give you enough metal to have only 3mm from inside edge to center of bolt hole, so you must have the same pcd

Pardon the neglected condition of this rotor. It would be a very nice piece cleaned up, and I do plan to try and use it, even if I have to use a non-Rickman hub, I will consider machining an adapter to mount it. Pardon my fractured wrist/brace as well - I am using my bad hand to point at the Morris Industries "Circle M" logo at the valve stem.

This is an exact Rickman rotor you have and off course it can't be 119mm bolt circle center, it's a typo, i meant to say 129mm .
You also have the speedometer drive attached, should mount right on a rickman hub.

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
Fantastic bike! This should be a really good build thread...
It ain't braggin' if ya done it.

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
Well I finally finished the house rehab on the house my wife wanted down the street (7+ months of late nights and 14hr days on the weekends), have buyers seriously interested in "your ex's mansion" that my wife so affectionately calls it, but I still have a bit of work to do to both before things will be freed up (run electric to the garage, maybe gas, privacy fence, re-glaze some 115 yr old windows and put new weatherstrip on, build a shop in the basement, install the central AC unit that's taking up a ton of space in the garage, etc), then I have to just move all my hoards of parts and tools etc which will take me the rest of this month and then some...  BUT... if all goes well and the old house sells by January, it's dude time all the time when the wifey goes on tour again with the American Motordrome Co's Wall of Death motorcycle thrill show for a few weeks in January. 

Downside is it looks like that's what she's doing every May-October from now on if all goes as she has planned.  Looks like I'm gonna turn into a maniac bachelor bike builder after all these years then, no more houses to rehab, good day job, free time all the time... wow!  May even restore the 71 Camaro RS/SS 396 that I gave my dad, after I do some more restoration/mods to my 62 GMC Panel truck... Bought my first house at the age of 25 so I had a garage shop to do cool shit in, now I'm 37 and have 4 major house rehabs under my belt 2 serious long term relationships later, but only have done one project the way I wanted, the 77 GS750 that is 90% acceptable by where I wanted it to end up.  Now I get to start living finally, instead of only getting to do what I want to do a few weekends out of the year!
'77 Suzuki GS750B 920cc's 4-1, 3.50&2.50 Sun rims, Ninja/CBR900RR/GS1150ES brakes, GS1100E alloy swing arm, emulators/spring mods/Tarozzi, Fox Factory Shox, kickstart-only
'74 Rickman Montesa VR250
'99 Kaw KDX220 rugged terrain 2-stoke ripper
PROJECTS:
'77 Rickman CR900 ex-racer project: GS1000-1105cc, Yoshimura Isle of Man cams, ported head, Yoshi Series 1 exhaust, 89 GSXR1100K forks/brakes, Fox Factory Shox, 4.25&2.50 Akront TR rims, 310mm brakes
'79 GS425 racer project  489cc 10.5:1 in GS850 sleeves, megacycle cams, GS500 forks, cbr900rr 310mm brake, 3.50&2.50 DID rims, Dresda style swingarm, Fox Factory Shox, kicker-only
'77 GS550B gs650 top end, Wiseco 740cc, CBR900RR/Ninja 310mm front disc, Fox Street Shox, Excel rims

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
So I picked up a set of Honda VTR1000F Superhawk forks and 4 piston calipers, because they are the same height as stock GS1000 forks since they are made to have clipons above the triples, but this is good as I wanted to lower the stance a slight bit anyway to steepen the rake and hopefully have a good trail measurement with the offset on the Superhawk triples.

One of the three reasons I went for the Superhawk forks is that they run the same style honda 296mm 6 bolt rotors that almost bolt directly onto Suzuki GS hubs.  The VFR and CBR models have several 296mm rotors with 17mm offset (need spaced out 5mm more to run on GS's with modded Ninja 2 piston calipers) that are correct for these forks/brakes, and several years of CB400 Super Four's and CB600 "599"/"Hornet" used the 296mm 6 bolt 78mm bolt circle AND had 23mm offset, so I would need minimal rotor to hub spacers with those.

Another reason aside from brakes and being taller than most modern forks  is that they are full on cartridge forks with adjustable external rebound and preload.  There are a lot of complaints about the springs as with most bikes stock (too soft), and complaints about the compression dampening being harsh, but with the brakes and the height working out very well, I can do some simple mods that I have read about for these forks to improve the dampening, or else RaceTech fully supports these things and sell their own sophisticated replacement cartridges for both the compression and rebound.  A bit pricey, but well worth it considering the fact that they are a great height, great brake mod package for my wheels, and the fact that they are 41mm right side up cartridge forks.

No USD's on any vintage bike of mine, but I do strive for the best handling I can get. GS1100GK 41mm Suzuki forks with my GS750 CBR/Ninja brake setup and cartridge emulators was my backup plan, but those full on bagger touring model forks were an oddballl, and Suzuki no longer offers the fork slider bushings that are exclusive to them. They would give me a more vintage fork look, but the VTR1000C Superhawk/Firestorm forks with some internal mods are going to be far better handling and lighter than the 41mm GS1100GK forks with emulators that may require a custom machined adapter just to mount the emulators ontop of the massive damper rod hex head top.

I also just found out that the 38mm version (I believe that's the one) of the Rickman forks is actually identical to the forks and brakes on mid 70's Ducati ducati 860GT and SS, even complete with Brembo F08 calipers. Down side is that those front ends are rare sourced from a Ducati even, and sell for around $700...  I can have the same invested in the Superhawk (Firestorm is the name outside of the US) front end and have a full racetech cartridge equipped properly sprung front end with awesome 4 piston calipers and big rotors. The extra gussetting on this frame that was added by the late previous owner/builder will definitely be of great use with this stout front end and monster brakes...  I am still hoping for a rear Rickman hub at least, but am prepared to have my machinist buds adapt a custom axle sleeve so that I can use the GS hub AND the Rickman swingarm and axle. 

Greg from OhioCafeRacers.com rebuilt/modded this AWESOME Dunstall GS1000 here in Columbus last year, unfortunately the buyer is in the Pacific Northwest so the bike isn't around here anymore for me to drool on, but this is where I got the idea on running these Honda Superhawk forks since those rotors are similar and same diameter to the CBR900RR rotors I run on my GS750 with Ninja EX600/GS500 Suzuki calipers:

the caliper mounting areas aren't cosmetically appealing to me from a vintage standpoint, but everything else about the forks screams shoe-in for my intents.

Going to get a set of the 23mm offset rotors at some point this year for it as well, once I buy more house stuff:

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015, 21:47:38 by Chuck78 »
'77 Suzuki GS750B 920cc's 4-1, 3.50&2.50 Sun rims, Ninja/CBR900RR/GS1150ES brakes, GS1100E alloy swing arm, emulators/spring mods/Tarozzi, Fox Factory Shox, kickstart-only
PROJECTS:
'77 Rickman CR900 ex-racer project: GS1000-1105cc, Yoshimura Isle of Man cams, ported head, Yoshi Series 1 exhaust, 89 GSXR1100K forks/brakes, Fox Factory Shox, 4.25&2.50 Akront TR rims, 310mm brakes
'79 GS425 racer project  489cc 10.5:1 in GS850 sleeves, megacycle cams, GS500 forks, cbr900rr 310mm brake, 3.50&2.50 DID rims, Dresda style swingarm, Fox Factory Shox, kicker-only
'77 GS550B gs650 top end, Wiseco 740cc, CBR900RR/Ninja 310mm front disc, Fox Street Shox, Excel rims

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
Re: Rickman CR parts - restification build
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2015, 19:29:38 »
FYI, a shorter swingarm is a must on these bikes, otherwise you will have a very laid down shock angle and a lot more travel.   Plus the bikes are fairly lazy steering for a race bike, so putting slightly taller shocks on, and dropping hte triples on the fork stanchions enough for clipons up top will really help steepen the steering, but just need to check the trail measurements since the rake will have been steepened.  Adjustment of that is all in the offset of the triples built in offset.  With this combination, I hope to make the Rickman steer much quicker like a racey street bike instead of a standard street model.   Have I mentioned I am addicted to riding the tightest of twisty roads in the southeast Ohio/West Virginia, eastern Kentucky regions? Not to mention the northeast West Virginia / western Virginia mountain passes on US33, Reddish Knob Rd, US250, VA-311, VA-16 "Back of the Dragon," etc!  Trying to slow it down after a deer collision and a dump on gravel, and several friends following me ending up in diches, but still, I am hooked on making these vintage bikes really handle, hence all the mods on my GS750, and my desire to own a Rickman chassis'd GS....

Basically, building all three of my primary bikes (i.e. bikes not to flip to friends) for riding this stuff, love the Appalachian/Alleghany hills and mountains to death:

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015, 20:20:31 by Chuck78 »
PROJECTS:

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
Rickman CR *REARSET CONFUSION - PLEASE HELP!!!*
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2015, 20:55:48 »
So here is my dilemma with the rearsets and extra pieces that came with the bike. The brake side is great except the forked end of the mounting pivot is a little bent outward. All brake linkages are there. I have a matching brake pedal that confirms it is a Rickman, because the matching pedal is nickel plated and also came with a matching nickel plated shifter, but I am missing the entire shifter setup for the black set of rearsets that were bolted to the bike, and things just don't quite make sense in this area:

Here is what the shifter side is supposed to look like on models that I have been able to dig up:

Here is the problem - those two bikes have different setups but use identical shifter levers/pedals. the black bike pivots on the rearset peg mount, the green bike has it's own pivot above the footpeg as the way my brake pedal pivots.
Well...My shifter looks IDENTICAL to those two pedals, EXCEPT that the linkage tab mount is BELOW the arm instead of ABOVE it like in either of those two examples!  And my rearset bracket has only a hole above the footpeg, and no way to mount this pedal on the rearset mounting shaft/stud like on the black bike.  It seems this shifter is for a different type, a THIRD style of Rickman rearsets that I do not have!  ANYONE WANNA TRADE SPARES??????
Heck, I'd really just even like to see a photo of a bike with my shifter pedal so I know how they were supposed to be mounted. I am guessing it mounts on the footpeg for a different style rearset, which seems ideal with the linkage below it and all, but may space the footpeg out further even, which may be bad.

Pics:

The little hole on the frame mounting rearset bracket is not in the right place for a pivot to even bolt to, as the linkage arm/tab would then hit the footpeg base

Doesn't fit like the black bike above at all, no dice, pivot pin head is too large, weld on frame mount bracket is too big, no busing to pivot on, etc.

HELP!!!!!!!

PROJECTS:

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
Rickman rearset footpeg rubbers
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2015, 20:58:51 »
Also, anyone know where I can get any rubber rearset/shifter pedal grip pieces from any source that will fit these? I assume it's all SAE/Imperial, so the vintage japanese bike junkyard may be useless to me for this.

The parts box I got that has been with the bike since it's last owner died 15 years ago actually had a stock looking black shifter pedal.  This one might be actually what my left rearset was, seems to be just a footpeg on the rearset, and then a stock type (Honda/Kawasaki non-rickman) shifter mounted 180 degrees out for a reverse shift pattern and no linkages to hassle with:

Well, that answers a lot now as to the rearsets mounted on my bike. I kinda like the idea of the GP style shift pattern, but am only concerned about the instinct thing when riding it, I bet I will have a lot of accidental shifts in the wrong direction...

This still doesn't explain the Rickman shifter pedal that I have which has the linkage tab/arm brazed onto the bottom instead of the top! Any help with this fellas??? This has me very confused. I would like to run this one but no idea where to track down the right parts...

Here is a picture of one that makes it appear as if the footpeg mounts on the frame by the swingarm pivot, and the rearset mount is just a shifter pivot:

To further complicate things, I found these photos of this oddball Rickman rearset/shifter setup:

have not seen ANY even remotely resembling that one. Is this a custom non-rickman setup, I suspect??? see the zig zag offset bend in the linkage shaft? Doesn't use the upper rearset mount point at all.

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015, 21:35:13 by Chuck78 »
PROJECTS:

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
AHA!!!! I found one that has the mysterious shifter pedal that mine came with as a spare! Looks like the footpeg mounts above the shifter as one would think could be the only possible way for this type of shift pedal to work since the linkage tab/arm is on the bottom:

This setup would really raise up the rider's leg positioning and give the bike an even more aggressive stance and riding position than it already has...

Only thing is, looking at the brake pedal, I realize these rearset mounting bracket bases are the same as mine, but with the pegs removed! But the shifter pedal orientation as seen here just like my spare is definitely factory Rickman, but the rest of this configuration with the abandoned footpeg mount on the right side that combines the peg and the brake pedal pivot, and the repurposed footpeg mount on the left side which now has the shifter lever like mine mounted... hmmm... I thought things would clear up with a few pictures, but this has shown me so many more variants of the rearsets/shifters and even brake pedal mounting.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015, 23:50:07 by Chuck78 »
PROJECTS:

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album

New tank mount rubbers on the Trident Engineering/Silverstone Superbikes UK Suzuki/Yoshi XR69 GS1000 replicas... Look to be identical to the Rickman tank mount rubber cushions.

Wow, Trident are AWESOME! They specialize primarily in street and race XR69 replica frames in twin & monoshock, as well as GS1000 restorations stock to highly modified, a few more custom xr69 spec parts, frame mods and repair, engine rebuilding, custom machining, welding, fabrication, dyno tuning...  WOW!

I was first lured into their website thinking that I was looking at a goggle "bronze welding" image search of a Harris XR69 frame. Turns out Trident/Silverstone is making them! What a work of art, the photo of the head tube area in particular... see link & navigate their other pages:
http://www.silverstonesuperbikes.co.uk/xr69_5.html
PROJECTS:

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201430515815
Would it be sacrilege to drop an 88-93 gsx1100f katana engine into the Ricky like the one in that ebay auction?  Rice Paddy (awesome local vintage Japanese bike salvage shop) has a complete bike, I was already gonna snag the front rotors (my rear on the gs920) & speedo drive...

it's a detuned (more low end torque, 136hp@9600rpm 82ft-lbs@7000) 86-92 gsxr1100 engine. Oil cooled. I could find some great used exhausts for it, I'm sure!
Cooling fins look modern (not as fitting for my desired look)  compared to the 79 gs750/850 idea (@894cc+$$$$=95hp-ish) / 82-83gs1100e(109hp/69ftlbs) / 84-86gs1150es (119hp/81ftlbs). Very advanced oil cooling though, plus rice paddy's has carbs oil cooler etc...

I'd rather have a GS1150E or 894cc gs750 engine, but this is there complete & a very advanced very potent oil/air cooled engine. The Rickman would be insanely powerful....

What would you do?
Build the kickstart gs750-894cc 11:1 engine with custom order ($680) JE pistons, ($500)Megacycle cams, ($650?)cylinder head work (porting/polishing, bigger valves), etc for just under 100hp & period correct look & kickstart-only to save weight?  I already have 3 spare engines & one in my primary gs750-920cc bike
(ALSO I could do 798cc 11:1 pistons for $250 or 844cc 10.25:1 for $400)

Or similar looking electric start GS1100E (116hp-k&n+4-1) mostly stock engine

or GS1150E  (126hp-k&n+4-1) mostly stock engine?

Or modern cooling fin style advanced GSX1100F engine (144hp-k&n+4-1)??? Probably lighter & narrower for more cornering clearance vs the very wide gs750 stator cover...

I'm sure the 894cc gs750 modded will be PLENTY  fast enough,  & I have a bunch of these engines laying around.  2 valve per cylinder hemi head.  But the others are very tempting... valve jobs on the 16 engines will be costly... they are very efficient & reliable though.

This will be going into an un-fared Rickman CR900 that will look very much like this one, same colors, same tank/seat/tail section, and wire spoke wheels:

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2015, 19:34:23 by Chuck78 »
PROJECTS: