www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1966 Triumph Bonneville restoration  (Read 19409 times)

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Kickstart, shift on right, drum brakes and spokes
    • 1962 BSA Gold Star barn find restoration
Re: 1966 Triumph Bonneville restoration
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2015, 13:54:49 »
Yikes, I just spent nearly $2k yesterday on new main bearings, con rod bearings, more hardware, rear shocks, wiring harness, switches, fork parts, complete exhaust system, and much more.

Look what just arrived from Green Tree Scooters, freshly vapor blasting motor parts! This motivates me finish blasting my hardware, send it out for cad plating, and once plated, I can start going clockwise. My friend Skip will install new valve guides, valves and seats now that the head is clean. Onward!

1966 Triton cafe, 1962 BSA Gold Star DBD34, and 1966 T120 Triumph Bonneville.
BSA Gold Star barn find restoration
1975 CB400F Cafe Racer build
1966 Triumph Bonnevile restoration

Offline yorkie350

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If it runs ride it if it dont polish it & dream !
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2015, 14:52:23 »
looking good so far mate :P yup wont be long before going clockwise maybe a few more $$ first tho  :o but see it as a investment when she's complete she gonna command her own price  ;) $$$$
Life's too short to go slow at anything !  unless your re-building ya ride !!

cb350f '72 café racer 
 cb550f '78 Hailwood race rep

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2015, 18:16:44 »
Even with the missing parts you did quite well for $1100, I'd have jumped on that myself. Looking forward to your build as I just  acquired a 70 Tiger. Unfortunately I paid nothing for it but it came with an ultimate price, the loss of my brother to a heart attack. I inherited 4 bikes, but the Tiger will get restored and be my DD till I die. I believe everything on mine is year correct with the exception of the drag bars. 1st bike I ever bought was a 67 500 Daytona in that blue and white paint scheme that I gave $400 for in 1972. Should have them here by the end of the year.

I'm seriously thinking about restoring everything to factory stock, but I will pull the wheels and front end and set it up with a Ceriani and Kimtabs with disc brakes.

Is that leaned against a Daytona :-\
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2015, 18:27:40 »
Relax fish, the bike is tethered and standing up. :P
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:54:42 »
Whew ...

The snow is here and it was a very busy week for me in the shop, spent mostly over the parts washer and blasting cabinet. All the hardware old and new has been photographed, degreased, bead blasted and ready to be cadmium plated. This is a long process but worth the time and effort.

Parts, old and new, are flooding in and I have bought nearly everything I need except for a new pair of Amal 389/95 monobloc carbs. Burlen/ Amal is out of stock for several months, so the hunt is on for a new pair. Britbike forum member BikeVice sold to me, at very reasonable prices, a correct centre stand, 679 Lucas tail light, Amal single pull throttle, and steering dampener. Thanks!

When my last hardware order to arrives on Friday I’ll blast the new zinc plated bits so they can be cad plated with the original hardware and everything will have the same and correct appearance.

Most of the black bits have been blasted to bare metal as well. No surprises yet and everything is in very good condition. I checked the frame and tail section in Skip’s framing jig and I am pleasantly surprised to find it straight and true to factory specs. We ran it through the jet washer at the local auto machine shop to remove 1/2” thick, 40 year old hardened grease, oil and grime. I’ll bead blast it tonight and blow out all the moisture and media before primer.

All the wheel bearings are original Swedish made SKF, show little to no wear with very new looking grease, more indication this is a low mileage bike. To be safe, I ordered new rubber sealed SKF wheel bearings.

I plan to prep, prime and paint all the black bits this weekend with catalyzed gloss black automotive paint. While I wait for my hardware to return from cad, I’ll clean and prepare the gas tank for paint and polish all the motor covers. Skip is on the road for a week or so and when he returns we can hone the con rods, install new small end bushes and he will install new Kibblewhite guides, valves and springs as well as new valve seats. The project is coming along well, and at a good pace. I will be going clockwise in a couple of weeks!

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2015, 11:55:25 »
Parts, old and new, are still arriving and I still need to order a few more things like decals, lights and wiring for the gauges and new fork tubes. I thought I could clean up and use my original fork tubes, but after I dissembled the fork lowers, the left hand tube was completed rusted on the lower portion. Sigh, there goes another $100…

I shipped out 35 lbs of parts of hardware to Colorado Plating to be cadmium plated and hope to have it back before Christmas.  In addition to all the parts from this bike, I included bits from two pre-unit motors, a unit motor and several pounds of spare CEI nuts, bolts and washers.

The original oil tank was heavily chromed and will need to be sent out to have the chrome electrochemically removed, but I discovered it was cheaper to buy a replacement.  I picked up an ugly 66/67 oil tank on Ebay for $50 and immediately stripped off the ugly hippy paint job.  It is solid with a few areas of Bondo but will be easy to refill the dents and prep for paint.

I have a busy week and will be back in the shop next week to get the last of the black bits primed and painted, repair and polish the fenders and to polish the side covers. Paint from Don Hutchinson should be here this week so I’ll to prep the tank as well. Onwards…
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 15:31:20 by swan »

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2015, 12:21:10 »
it's actually an 82 Mondial.

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2015, 13:59:52 »
Another busy week, I finished blasting, primering and painting nearly all the black bits with a single stage catalyzed urethane. I am happy with the results and need to do just a little bit of rubbing and polishing on a few pieces to make them perfect.  I am still working on the side cover and oil bag and will paint them both once my decals arrive.

The front drum was painted with Duplicolor wheel silver, baked in the shop oven and it looks great.

I bought a correct pair of restored Smith clocks from Ebay seller aprivatepiece aka Bobby Carter and sent him my original speedo as a core. The are beautiful (but not as beautiful as Chronometrics) and I cannot wait to see them spinning clockwise this spring.

Parts orders are coming in from the Bonneville Shop, British Only, Classic British Spares, Walrige, Tri-cor, Ebay and more sources. Paint form Don Hutchinson also arrived. Here are some of the latest arrivals: Lucas shell, rim, lamp, bulbs, wiring, ammeter, UK handlebars, black grips, wheel bearings, UK made seat, rear shocks, Lucas lighting switch, ignition and key and more. The rear rim is from Central Wheel Components via Walrige, the front rim is on back order and should be here before the end of the month. I still am looking for a pair of new Amal 389/95 (389/19) carbs Everything is here else except for decals, build holders for the clocks and a battery. Now I must wait patiently for my hardware to return from Colorado Platers so I can put this beast together. Hopefully, the hardware will arrive before Christmas.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 18:40:27 by swan »

Offline wworm27

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2015, 13:24:51 »
easily my favorite builder on DTT. The nitpicking and thoroughness motivates me to be cleaner with my build

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2015, 18:26:32 »
Hot off the truck (cold actually, Minnesota, it's winter...), my freshly cadmium plated hardware! I can start going clockwise on Friday. The final parts are trickling in and when I get a window of time, this bike will come together rather quickly.