www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: T500 build-----It's on the ROAD!!!  (Read 14972 times)

Offline Hurco550

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Keep er' Between the ditches
Re: T500 build
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:40:00 »
00000hhHH that's one of those rare left handed kicker ones :o

JK... I'm in for this 1 8)
Super rare =) lol I'm in too
"If you want safety and sanity don't mess around with choppers to begin with and don't come crying to me for recommending something that broke down the line. You're going to be the "builder" so use your own judgment and build to you own personal levels of safety and sanity." - Chopper Handbook
1988 tw200, the swamp donkey: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75455.0
1975 RD350 Road Racer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70652.msg833688#msg833688
1976 GT250 Rebuild: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64973.new#new
Full Custom Pit Bike: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66954.new#new
"much ingenuity with a little money is more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity" - Arnold Bennet

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2015, 16:51:28 »
I have a very clean t500 tank left over from my project that I might want to sell if you decide to restore the bike.  It is black but needs painting, no rust or dents.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2015, 15:45:35 »
good to know----thanks!

Offline TranceMachineVienna

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2015, 15:48:40 »
Ooooh my.i'm in sir!

Offline tattoo

« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2015, 21:01:47 »
Continuing to poke away.   Wanted to go with one of those snazzy fibreglass "cafe" tanks to replace the leaky T500 tank, but holy do they ever eat up budget in a hurry!  So, I had snagged a late 70's KZ400 tank locally for "next to nothing" and started to imagine how it might attach/look.    It needed a gas cap (found at a local bike salvage yard), and a petcock, needed to be cleaned inside, and some dents and dings outside needed some attention. 

Apple cider vinegar and bb's worked great to clean up the inside, and I've been working through the dent filling process.   In the meantime, I've been scouring images of seats.   The tank's top edge drops towards the back, so my minds' eye was not seeing a seat with that tall of a hump.   I've been wavering back and forth too on "all fabric" versus a FG seat/pad, and I think I've settled on "all fabric" (eg, leather, vinyl, whatever....).

On the weekend, I stumbled on a certain Laverda built by Wrenchmonkees----(have to credit them!!!) and its seat made my heart go boom.

My photo editing skills rank slightly lower than my dent in tank fixing skills, but if it pleases the court, this is where I'm hoping to go with my little T500:

Offline jimmer

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2015, 21:40:18 »
I rather like it.
Yamaha Blaster Bike                                                                  Suzuki T500 Titan Twingle Yamaha XT 225

Offline goldy

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:58:23 »
Pretty good profile..should be nice!
1948 Norton ES2
1955 AJS 20B
1956 Triumph TRW
1968 Triumph T100 special
1969 Norton Commando
1975 XS650 Yamaha

Offline tattoo

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2015, 15:07:37 »
Thanks all.

Must holler a shout out to the local Kawasaki dealer here in town - the parts guy (an all around great guy) had helped me identify the Kawasaki tank that I had bought, and knew that I was then shopping for a cap and fuel tap.  I had called the other day to order some rubber tank mounts, and he said "get your butt over here - there's a box outside with about 20 fuel taps (amongst other bits) in it, all free for the taking".    I now have a handful of fuel taps to work with.   

Tank dent repairs are coming along nicely, so started tinkering with some way to mount the tank.   It's not pretty, but the front mount is solid--combination of some new KZ400 tank rubber bobbins, a pair of brackets, and some hardware.  The whole rig becomes one solid bracket that attaches to the coil mounting plate and rolls up over the center rail of the frame.   The icing on the cake is that there's a huge amount of space under the tank  - I'm pretty sure I'll be able to stuff all the electrics in under there. 

Now need to build up something for the rear - there's a nice factory cross member between the frame rails right where the tank's rear will mount.  Thanks Suzuki!!   I'll post up some pics when it's all test fitted.

Once that's done, and I can start mapping out that seat that I want to have made.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2015, 16:16:37 »
Won't win any beauty contests, but here's some pics of my Kawasaki tank on a Suzuki 101 "creativity"(?).

Front tank mount - bottom bracket held in place by front coil mounting bolt, then reshaped to give me something to run a pair of bolts through to hold rubber tank mount bobbins.   Each bolt also runs through one end of a bracket that hoops over the top frame rail, then runs into one single long nut that holds the whole thing taut.   It's solid, but everything will still get a touch of loctite upon final assembly.   The "bottoms bits" of the top bracket below the bolts (in the pic) have since been shaved off.

The rear mount is no less "sexy".... ???

Simple and effective.   Rig attached directly to the original tank rear mount bolt hole.

With the tank on the mounts:

And with that in place, a seat pan was templated and cut out. 

This will be a all fabric covered seat, as per a "mock up" picture earlier in this thread.