www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: T500 build-----It's on the ROAD!!!  (Read 15472 times)

Offline sbaugz

• DTT BOTM winner
Re: T500 build-----It's on the ROAD!!!
« Reply #90 on: Sep 30, 2016, 00:15:14 »
When I had my T500, I remember the front brake worked best when I would regularly takethe glaze off of the shoes.  When I got my GT500 the first thing the struck me was that when pushing the bike around it feels so light and yet when riding it, it steers kind of heavy, what with the raked out front geometry and also I guess the clip ons make the steering feel heavier.  Yeah, they vibrate alright.  I mean heavy for a sub 400lb bike.

I love these bikes, they have a lot of character and you seldsom see one.

Will have to try that. My t500 stops for shit.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #91 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:10:25 »
Nice work :)  I like that you are using the stock exhausts and that you are under no illusions about it's handling prowess.  Not all bikes need to be race track ready ;D

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #92 on: Sep 30, 2016, 16:31:39 »
I have not tried it but arching the shoes is supposed to help by increasing the contact surface between the drum and shoes.  Make sure your brake is adjusted properly, on 2LS drums this is very important so that both shoes contact the drum at the same time.   
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline grcamna5

« Reply #93 on: Sep 30, 2016, 17:08:51 »
I have not tried it but arching the shoes is supposed to help by increasing the contact surface between the drum and shoes.  Make sure your brake is adjusted properly, on 2LS drums this is very important so that both shoes contact the drum at the same time.   

+1 on that arcing;there's a vintage brake dude out West who does that full time.
I've heard many good things for the 2LS front drum on that T500,excellent stopping when set-up good.
I've also made it a habit to moderately bear-down on the brake w/ the lever/pedal when tightening the axle as that makes sure the brakes are centered inside the drum.
Do your Best,no one can take that from you.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #94 on: Sep 30, 2016, 17:50:42 »
Thanks all!   For the kind words, and the additional info/advice re front brake.

And sorry for the flooding of photos here....but got out this afternoon in some flat light (apparently that matters to photographers?) and found a backdrop other than my garage/driveway.   Also dropped in on the guy who painted my tank to show him le produit complet.  We are both pleased with the mix of matte and polished finishes on the tank.   Over the winter, I will look for a suitable old looking Suzuki badge or emblem for the tank's sides.  I'm visualizing something "raised" - not just a decal.

Cheers!!! ;D

Offline tattoo

« Reply #95 on: Sep 30, 2016, 17:58:34 »
Nice work :)  I like that you are using the stock exhausts and that you are under no illusions about it's handling prowess.  Not all bikes need to be race track ready ;D

Exactly----a different tool for each job at hand, right?

Offline xulf13

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • West of Tennessee
« Reply #96 on: Sep 30, 2016, 18:24:43 »
Amazing job! A very fine build indeed. I smell BOTM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
Re: T500 build
« Reply #97 on: Sep 30, 2016, 18:30:52 »
Couple of little tasks tackled this week.   Spent some time getting the OEM speedometer cleaned up.   There were some wear grooves around the top edge (from a cable probably?), and I figured that it should be painted in the same colour as the fenders, oil tank, etc.

The gouges are just below the 140 MPH point.  Filled in the gouges with some kwik-weld (I know....back yard hackery perhaps.....but hey...), sanded it all down, and shook up the rattle can.

Because the speedo will be mounted at more of a vertical angle than stock, I also wanted to do something about the bottom that would be somewhat more visible.   It's not perfect, but built up a plate that bolts on to the existing mounting studs.   

These studs will eventually also run through two aluminum brackets (in process) that will hang from below the top triple to hold the speedo in place.   Have decided to not run a tach, nor any dash lights.

Trying to make the little details matter!!!

On my T500, I remember accelerating full throttle to 140 mph and it also took a chunk out of the speedo.  The needle got stuck and I couldn't slow down until after I banged the gauge with my fist.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #98 on: Sep 30, 2016, 19:09:47 »
Exactly----a different tool for each job at hand, right?

Well played ;D
My T500 is going to be a track tool but it couldn't even get close to your Honda on the track ;)

Offline tattoo

Re: T500 build
« Reply #99 on: Sep 30, 2016, 23:26:54 »
On my T500, I remember accelerating full throttle to 140 mph and it also took a chunk out of the speedo.  The needle got stuck and I couldn't slow down until after I banged the gauge with my fist.

LOL....Good to know....I'll make sure I keep this one below 130mph..... :P