www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)  (Read 12563 times)

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
Re: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - Brat Project
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2015, 14:09:32 »
Thanks, I may just do that in the end. For now, I'm just going through the bike and make sure it is mechanically sound, cleaning things up, minor improvements, correcting issues, but not major changes. The original condition is growing on me.

I may have to look for another bike to work on as the brat project. I'm in no hurry for the moment. For now I can enjoy the bike as is, and it is giving plenty of enjoyment just working on it as is.

ben

No doubt, working on bikes can be like therapy for many of us here.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2015, 16:34:34 »
im with you armour, cut the fuck out of it....

all i seem to read on here of late is don't do this,don't do that WTF ...that's the voice of rivet counting purists, your bike, your build, your choice
  You don't read much, especially the part where the PO said he will probably enjoy this bike in its current condition.  Most of us are all for cutting up bikes.  I know every guy that warned against it in this thread has long histories of customizing.  No one is against it, except on certain bikes.  The value of a bike should at least be considered when determining whether or not you want to customize something. I have a long history with Mopars.  The same conversations occur in those groups.  My Roadrunner customized is worth about $15k.  Fully restored, it could fetch $35k or more.  I'd be an idiot to just ignore those numbers, even if that car ends up getting the treatment. 

Offline armourbl

« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:51:12 »
Well, I guess DOHC is going to get to say "he told me so." Well, sort of...

First a couple of new details. I was able to determine that I do in fact have the 900 cams in the bike. I also was able to confirm that the exhaust cam timing marks were off by at least one tooth.

Now, here is where things take an ugly turn. While removing the cams to correct the timing issue, 4 of the 24 cam cap bolts sheared off. Yep, that really sick feeling in my stomach. Looks like whoever worked on this bike last not only put it back together wrong, but they also over torqued the bolts.

I may have to remove the engine in order to get this corrected, since at least one of the bolts is on the intake side directly the below the frame, which makes it impossible to get a straight shot at it with an extractor.

I'm going to try and see if the sheared bolts will turn freely first, maybe with some needle-nose pliers, a scribe, or a punch. I didn't think to try this last night since I was already processing the idea of needing to remove the engine.

Now, in my own defense, this was no fault of my own. The timing issue needed to be resolved, and the fact that the bolts sheared was not my doing. But, it does serve to prove that once you get into one of these, new gremlins will surface. I personally am glad I found the timing issue as I'd rather not run the motor like that. If ultimately I have to remove the engine, then so be it. I was going to eventually do it anyways in order to paint the engine and possibly the frame.

ben

Offline Powderfinger

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:57:04 »
Post a picture of that worst bolt. Is there room to weld a nut onto what is sticking out. This usually works very well as the heat from welding breaks the bond between the aluminum and steel. Whatever you do you will want to heat up the aluminum around the bolts.
Bikes:
2007 KTM 300xcw 2 stroke woods bike
1975 Yamaha XS650 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63404.0
1971 CB750 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=62540.0
1976 KZ400 S cafe racer project http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=51850.30

"Well, I try my best To be just like I am But everybody wants you To be just like them" 
Bob Dylan

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2015, 12:00:53 »
There was no timing issue to correct.

My favorite part is where you blame the last guy for your lack of mechanical aptitude.

"This was through no fault of my own" says the guy who had a good running bike but now has a pile of parts.

Get the studs out, Get some new bolts, put the caps back on, pre lube it, and put it all back together. You don't have the knowledge or skills needed to do engine work.

Shit. Almost forgot.

Told ya so.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015, 16:58:56 by DohcBikes »
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline Kamn

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2015, 12:19:57 »
Shit. Almost forgot.

Told ya so.

How do you think acting like a dick will be of any service to anyone?  Tone the attitude down a bit, we all get it.....you know everything

Its like being at the movies with someone who has seen it before and keeps telling you about it instead of shutting up and letting us watch

Armour, shit happens and its all repairable.......trial and error is how we learn
'82 Kawi GPZ550

'73 CB750 K3 (needs restoration)

Offline armourbl

« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2015, 12:41:45 »
First of all, you don't know me. Coming here and asking questions doesn't make me stupid or mean I have a lack of experience. I am only new to this bike and engine. Not fresh off the boat with motorcycles or working on them.

There was a timing issue. Here is a pic to prove it. Timing marks on the intake are lined up with the head. Timing marks on the exhaust cam gear, pictured, are not.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNQ2NmNlBWVEN2Nlk/view

I don't have a pile of parts. The bike just needs a little work. Nothing that can't be repaired or overcome.

Maybe you lack experience and knowledge. I mean, to suggest to leave a bike alone that has issues that should be and can be easily resolved, that is just asking for trouble. A ticking time bomb that will result in much more catastrophic failure later on down the road. Do you have anything positive to contribute?

ben

Offline armourbl

« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2015, 12:46:48 »
Post a picture of that worst bolt. Is there room to weld a nut onto what is sticking out. This usually works very well as the heat from welding breaks the bond between the aluminum and steel. Whatever you do you will want to heat up the aluminum around the bolts.

This is on the left side of the intake cam gear on the H cap. This is literally the worst one this could happen to. The frame is right in the way of a straight shot at being able to drill it and maybe use a reverse thread bit to get it out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNdVJSV1FZb0xaTm8/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNOGRjbHRDd1ZxVU0/view?usp=docslist_api

ben