www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)  (Read 12588 times)

Offline armourbl

Re: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - Brat Project
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2015, 10:53:50 »
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Found one of the nuts that holds the head so loose that I could turn it by hand. Yikes. I tried to torque to spec of 26 foot pounds, but didn't like how it felt when tightening. So I just put some red Loctite on it, and tightened it as far as I dared. Hopefully it will hold.

ben

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:12:24 »
Way to go!!
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2015, 11:51:48 by Tune-A-Fish »
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline armourbl

« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:15:05 »

You can upload images with the "attachments and other options" below in reply.

Yes, but I was being lazy. Didn't want to hassle with saving them to the computer so I could upload them. Sorry.

ben

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:17:39 »
Yes, but I was being lazy. Didn't want to hassle with saving them to the computer so I could upload them. Sorry.

ben

Oh I gotcha brah... You want us to go look for your amazingly talented results... never made the connection Mr. Obvious

Nevermind :o
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline armourbl

« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:27:05 »
Oh I gotcha brah... You want us to go look for your amazingly talented results... never made the connection Mr. Obvious

Nevermind :o

It isn't like that at all. This site is actually pretty good about attachments and the size of them. I like that a lot. Other sites that allow attachments limit the file size so much that you end up having to resize in to order to get under the limit.

I don't find clicking a link to be too much trouble, and just wanted to do a quick post. When I have more time, I'll do better about attaching pics.

ben

Offline redwillissuperman

• Keep it simple- engine, wheels, bars
« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2015, 15:07:40 »
It sounds like you have a thorough and methodical approach to motorbikes- I would use this to your advantage and purchase something that has already been hacked up and bring it back to life. Find a $500 Craigslist dog that has had the wheels and valvecover painted red and a set of Chinese shocks put on. Use your skills to rescue it, install a hipo cam, and a nice set of flat slides. Paint and detail the engine, adapt a tank from a TS185 and make a new seat. Don't be a Brian Fuller where you take a primo vintage bike and hack it into a goat turd. Be a Chip Foose where you take a bastard child and turn it into a piece of rolling art.

Offline armourbl

« Reply #56 on: Dec 10, 2015, 11:56:55 »
It sounds like you have a thorough and methodical approach to motorbikes- I would use this to your advantage and purchase something that has already been hacked up and bring it back to life. Find a $500 Craigslist dog that has had the wheels and valvecover painted red and a set of Chinese shocks put on. Use your skills to rescue it, install a hipo cam, and a nice set of flat slides. Paint and detail the engine, adapt a tank from a TS185 and make a new seat. Don't be a Brian Fuller where you take a primo vintage bike and hack it into a goat turd. Be a Chip Foose where you take a bastard child and turn it into a piece of rolling art.

That is pretty much the plan now. I'll just keep working on this bike, freshen it up, make some personal changes, but mostly keep it original. I'll hunt for a new project bike once I feel like I've got this one sorted to my liking.

ben

Offline armourbl

« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2015, 15:08:05 »
Oh well.........dont forget to get the BIG ok off these here ben before YOU buy with your MONEY your next project bike ,and try and avoid the ultra rare CBs ,you dont want to upset the clique  ;) 

im sure it will look just dandy like candy once you have made some personal changes,there's some great glittery honda stickers on eBay

I'm not giving in to peer pressure. I knew this might happen from the start and mentioned that in my original post. As I get deeper into this bike, I realize more and more that it is in very good condition in a lot of ways. I'm not doing a full restore on it or anything like that. At this point, I'm just not going to hack on it and try to enjoy it for what it already is.

Believe me, there will be a brat project. I'm not done wanting one of those.

ben

Offline armourbl

Re: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2015, 17:05:22 »
Some more minor progress to report. One of the things I did as a part of painting the bike was restored one of the two stator covers that I had. The one that was on the bike overall was in better condition, but had some bad gouges in it that would never sand out completely. The other one had no gouges, but a pretty rough finish.

I decided to rough sand down the bad finish on the second one, then mask off and paint the recessed lettering areas. I then started doing the finishing sanding working my way up to finer grits of sand paper, wet sanding, and so on.

You can see the final result after only two passes with Mother's Aluminum polish. The original cover is at the top, and the newly restored is on the bottom in each photo.

ben

Offline armourbl

Re: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2015, 17:08:57 »
To get the motor out of the frame by myself, I took a tip I saw on another forum and made a cradle out of wood that allowed me to support the engine with my floor jack. Although it isn't directly connected to the engine, I was able to safely move the engine out of the frame and roll it around my garage and even used it as a stand to paint the engine.

ben