www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget  (Read 52722 times)

Offline NoRiders

Re: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget
« Reply #70 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:56:12 »
I get what you're saying Adam, thank you.

The seat is quite firm from a lateral movement point of view, the bungs are a tight fit in the crossmember. The velcro is to hold it in place when off the bike really. I have considered an over-centre catch underneath to hold it in place as well, but might be impeded by the filter box/gubbins and rear guard. Hmm....I've got the velcro on it's way, I should do a mock up and see it it will work...can't see it not working to be honest. It'll not have to come off too often, but will need to be removeable for access. More to think about haha!

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #71 on: Feb 10, 2016, 20:14:16 »
Threw the front wheel on to check that it'd go on.....Yay it does, but clearance is tight, especially with the mudguard between the tyre and brace.

Looks tough though.

I can space the brace up a few mm to create more room. I like it close as per trials bikes, rather than scrambler stylee. I could use the brace to mount the guard but prefer to make my own hoops and tags to mount it using the fork legs as per Mr Honda.

Offline dilbone

« Reply #72 on: Feb 10, 2016, 21:02:06 »
I'm loving the look and ideas you've come up with here.  I've been looking at picking up an '83 gs750e and have had a few reservations as to what to do with it being a monoshock bike.  You've given me some great ideas of how to make it work.  Nice work!

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #73 on: Feb 10, 2016, 21:30:44 »
I do like the boomerang comstars.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #74 on: Feb 11, 2016, 19:12:18 »
I'm loving the look and ideas you've come up with here.  I've been looking at picking up an '83 gs750e and have had a few reservations as to what to do with it being a monoshock bike.  You've given me some great ideas of how to make it work.  Nice work!

Thank you dilbert,pleased some of what I'm doing may help you.

I'm winging it to an extent, had an initial idea to Brat it, but it's morphed into what it is....in a good way, that I'm happy with the urban scrambler look and still useable and practical for popping to the shops or a quick bluesky blast.

What bikes have inspired you regarding style/look. Lots of beautiful bikes out there.

I'm sure some will tut tut at me choosing enduro tyres, especially as the CBX is a capable retro sports bike....but I'll be chugging around on it when it's ready...not bothered about hooning it too much.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #75 on: Feb 11, 2016, 19:26:17 »
I do like the boomerang comstars.

I like them too canyoncurver, especially the alloy rims :-) Fiddly to detail and repaint but think they scrub up well enough. I really like the enclosed disc brake system, fronts look like Brit TLS vented brake drums which is cool. Cheers Colin

Offline dilbone

« Reply #76 on: Feb 11, 2016, 23:15:30 »
Thank you dilbert,pleased some of what I'm doing may help you.

I'm winging it to an extent, had an initial idea to Brat it, but it's morphed into what it is....in a good way, that I'm happy with the urban scrambler look and still useable and practical for popping to the shops or a quick bluesky blast.

What bikes have inspired you regarding style/look. Lots of beautiful bikes out there.

I'm sure some will tut tut at me choosing enduro tyres, especially as the CBX is a capable retro sports bike....but I'll be chugging around on it when it's ready...not bothered about hooning it too much.

I don't really have a particular bike that is my "ideal" or even "inspiration."  Like you said, there are so many nice bikes out there...I think I end up building a picture of one in my head one part and piece at a time with every picture I see that has some aspect to it that I like.

I built a bobber/chopper from an XS650 and a "brat" bike from a GS750, I didn't really have a specific bike for either of them but stole ideas from all sorts of bikes haha!!
This '83 monoshock gs750 I'm looking at will probably take on more of a cafe racer look if I ever get a hold of the guy to go pick it up.
Meahwhile...I'll just keep watch this one and see what ideas I can steal!!

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #77 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:41:55 »

Meahwhile...I'll just keep watch this one and see what ideas I can steal!

You're welcome  :D

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #78 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:58:45 »
Small, but significant update: Had meaningful conversation with Cara doing the seat, she's now got my rendering and had a look at the materials, I just need to do my bit and she can do hers yay!

She'll run up a trial cover in vinyl before working on the leather for real. Important part the seat.

Now for the tank....and forks, engine clean/paint, hoop weld etc etc.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #79 on: Feb 15, 2016, 16:45:05 »
I have actually bolted something on tonight....